“Average Super 8, OK, if you like to hear trains and traffic all night!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Red Wing

Special Price
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Red Wing
Iowa
“Average Super 8, OK, if you like to hear trains and traffic all night!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Read some of the other reviews and it appears that some updating has been done. Looks like new coat of paint has been applied but beds haven't been upgraded for quite some time. Ask for a room that isn't on the back (street side) of the hotel as the trains run all night and the traffic is pretty noisy. This hotel appears to be added on to several times and it's quite large and spread out. Room size is ok, TV's are older and not greatest of reception. Bathrooms are very small and inconvenient as you have to get way over by the shower to shut the door. Breakfast is toaster waffles, juice, cereal and toast. There's several good restaurants in town though, so I'd suggest trying them out instead.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room not at the back side of the street side addition. The trains and traff...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
nshah1, Owner at Super 8 Red Wing, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It sounds like you enjoyed most of your stay with us here in Red Wing. Our beds are actually less than 2 years old, they are Simmons Beauty Rest mattresses and most guests enjoy them. We are sorry that you did not. We have been updating now for the past year including bedding, curtains, paint, and carpet. We will be upgrading our TVs next year. Along with what you mentioned we also include cinnamon rolls, yogurt, and fresh fruit with our Superstart breakfast from 6-9 every morning. We hope you will stay with us again in the future and give us another opportunity to impress you. More renovations will be continuing throughout the year and we look forward to seeing you again and showing you the best we have to offer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Minneaolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I made a online reservation for 3-23-13, knowing from the website that I had until 6:00 p.m. that day to cancel. When I called the motel to cancel at 11:00 a.m. Sarah at the desk told me there was a 24 hour cancellation policy and I was too late, my card would be charged. I informed her that the Super 8 website and my confirmation email both stated I had until 6:00 that night to cancel. She became very short with me, and stated they have always had a 24 hour cancellation policy, and that I would be charged. I thanked her, double checked my confirmation email, and then called back to re-state my case that I had until 6:00 to cancel. She re-stated the 24 hour cancel policy, and I again stated that was not what was on the website or my email, and how was I to know that they had a 24 hour cancellation policy if the booking material says 6:00 same day. She gave me an 800 number to call, and rudely stated something to the effect of "you can call them and try". I called the 800 number, cancelled the reservation, with a very nice woman who was actually helpful, and she gave me my cancellation number. I called Sara in Red Wing back to inform her I was able to cancel, so they apparently do not have a 24 hour cancellation policy, as I was able to cancel. Sara, who is either having a bad day, or is just a bad person, stated she shows the reservation as still active, not cancelled. I stated I have a cancellation number, she said she was talking to the "DRM hotline" on the other line, and that she would get to the bottom of this, like I'm supposed to know or care what the DRM hotine is. Now I know that things can get mixed up between online systems and what is live at the motel location, but Sara's attitude and rudeness turned what should have been a slight mix-up that was easily resolved into a near argument and the loss of any future business. Hope things get better for you Sara.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
nshah1, Manager at Super 8 Red Wing, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
There is certainly no bait and switch cancellation policy at the Super 8 Motel in Red Wing, MN. Our policy has always been a 24 hour prior to 6pm cancellation. Apparently when we had a software upgrade our cancellation policy reverted to a default setting on our website. This issue has been resolved and now indicates the correct 24 hour by 6pm cancellation. Also when anyone at the front desk reviews this gentleman’s reservation it indicates on our computer a 24 hour prior to 6 pm policy. Whenever a staff member tells someone something they don’t want to hear then that staff member is said to be rude. It is not being rude when staff states the policy they have known for 10 plus years.

Been to Super 8 Red Wing? Share your experiences!