“Affordable and clean” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #6 of 9 hotels in Red Wing

119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Minneaolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I made a online reservation for 3-23-13, knowing from the website that I had until 6:00 p.m. that day to cancel. When I called the motel to cancel at 11:00 a.m. Sarah at the desk told me there was a 24 hour cancellation policy and I was too late, my card would be charged. I informed her that the Super 8 website and my confirmation email both stated I had until 6:00 that night to cancel. She became very short with me, and stated they have always had a 24 hour cancellation policy, and that I would be charged. I thanked her, double checked my confirmation email, and then called back to re-state my case that I had until 6:00 to cancel. She re-stated the 24 hour cancel policy, and I again stated that was not what was on the website or my email, and how was I to know that they had a 24 hour cancellation policy if the booking material says 6:00 same day. She gave me an 800 number to call, and rudely stated something to the effect of "you can call them and try". I called the 800 number, cancelled the reservation, with a very nice woman who was actually helpful, and she gave me my cancellation number. I called Sara in Red Wing back to inform her I was able to cancel, so they apparently do not have a 24 hour cancellation policy, as I was able to cancel. Sara, who is either having a bad day, or is just a bad person, stated she shows the reservation as still active, not cancelled. I stated I have a cancellation number, she said she was talking to the "DRM hotline" on the other line, and that she would get to the bottom of this, like I'm supposed to know or care what the DRM hotine is. Now I know that things can get mixed up between online systems and what is live at the motel location, but Sara's attitude and rudeness turned what should have been a slight mix-up that was easily resolved into a near argument and the loss of any future business. Hope things get better for you Sara.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
nshah1, Manager at Super 8 Red Wing, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
There is certainly no bait and switch cancellation policy at the Super 8 Motel in Red Wing, MN. Our policy has always been a 24 hour prior to 6pm cancellation. Apparently when we had a software upgrade our cancellation policy reverted to a default setting on our website. This issue has been resolved and now indicates the correct 24 hour by 6pm cancellation. Also when anyone at the front desk reviews this gentleman’s reservation it indicates on our computer a 24 hour prior to 6 pm policy. Whenever a staff member tells someone something they don’t want to hear then that staff member is said to be rude. It is not being rude when staff states the policy they have known for 10 plus years.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

It has been our experience that far too many pet friendly hotels refuse your request for a non-smoking room. We appreciate that the Super 8 in Red Wing is not one of those! We will choose this hotel again in our future stays. Good rates, decent offerings for breakfast (although not a lot of choices). Rooms have been reliably well kept. Staff has been friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
nshah1, Owner at Super 8 Red Wing, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
We are so glad you hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Red Wing Super 8. We pride ourselves on being one of the only properties in Red Wing that is pet friendly and we do not force our guests with pets to stay in rooms that they do not desire to. We deep clean our rooms after every stay with a pet so we do not worry about nonsmoking guests being upset by a pet in the room previously. We are continuing to upgrade our rooms, we just recently added new bedding, curtains, headboards, and paint. Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property and we look forward to seeing you again the future.
Garwin Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We decided to stay at the super 8 because of it's close to the snowmobile trails. We arrived mid morning and and figured there was no way we would get into our room but the manager Sarah was SUPER NICE! said she understood since we had been traveling and let us right in. To be honest we had a couple small issues (issues with other patrons being totaly disrecpectful to other guests and the hotel itself) but when we brought them to Sarah's attention she truly expressed concern. You might wonder why I am rating this very good then.. Sarah not only listened and seemed sincere but as we were getting ready to go on our ride the OWNER came out into the freezing cold parking lot to address the issues and concerns before we left. That shows me that the people do care and want repeat business. I have never in my life had someone take the time that he did. Give them a chance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
nshah1, Owner at Super 8 Red Wing, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for your understanding even though you had a few issues. We greatly appreciate it. All of our staff take every complaint seriously and try to do everything within our power to fix the issue. We encourage all of our guests to report issues as they are happening so we can remedy the situation before it is too late. We are glad that you found our staff to be so accommodating and hope that you will stay with us in the future. We look foring you again.

Been to Super 8 Red Wing? Share your experiences!