“"But that's the way we make it"” 2 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 47 restaurants in Red Wing
Lakeville, Minnesota
“"But that's the way we make it"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Driving thru Red Wing MN after a day trip to the Eagle cam in Decorah IA and thought the Fiesta Mexicana looked inviting for dinner and there were quite a few cars in their lot for a Tuesday evening. The interior is very nicely decorated, very clean, and the menu extensive. We have traveled extensively and eaten at many Mexican establishments and are very familiar with Mexican menus a the preparation of most dishes.

My wife ordered a dish that began a trip down a slippery slope that could have been made into a film for customer service training. The waitress indicated she did not know what the dish was? and then later said "I should have warned you" The chicken dish can best be described as fresh chicken strips served in a red liquid base? My wife told the waitress it did not seem correct and the manager appeared, immediately stating " but that's the way we make it " My wife indicated she could not eat it with a fork because of the liquid nature of the meal! The manager left and returned with a spoon! My wife waited to see if they would ask her if she wanted something else. They didn't. At this point she did not feel like she could eat the meal and asked the waitress to remove it. When the waitress confirmed that we would be paying for it. a $9.50 meal, I asked for it to be placed in a soup take out container thinking we could salvage the chicken for the pets. When the Manager returned with it, he again repeated for the third or fourth time, " but that's the way we make it" .At this point, I asked him to take it away and remove it form the dinner bill. He mumbled about getting in trouble and begain his ,"but that's the way we make it." He seemingly relunctantly removed the charge. The waitress, while apologizing, said not to order it the next time. There will be no next time.

As to other comments regarding bland, I would agree, no matter how much of the table sauces or salt and pepper, I applied, I could not get any taste out of the tres enchiladas.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

60% Recommend
Blaine, Minnesota
“Made from scratch food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

The food is made from scratch and was good---I wish we would have ordered the fajitas! They looked so good as they passed our table to other diners. The fried ice cream is totally awesome!!!

Visited March 2012
Rochester, Minnesota
“Is Bland in the Spanish Language?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Contrary to this review, this restaurant is one of the most successful restaurants in Red Wing, at least their parking lot is full most nights. My wife and I have visited this place many times over the years and always say we won't be back. The service is fast, perhaps too fast. I always feel I'm being rushed. The food is served on warmed plates, but because of lack of presentation, looks colorless and unappetizing. No matter which entry you choose from the menu, it tastes the same....bland. You can not even "doctor" it up with any sauces, hot or mild. They have none or at least they didn't in the past. It's been almost a year since our last visit. We prefer to prepare our own texmex food at home to be able to season it properly. As for their success I can only believe they are catering to mostly upper midwestern clientel who prefer mild or bland food. If this sounds like you, you just may like Fiesta Mexicana of Red Wing.

Visited March 2011
Minneapolis
“Great, not muy buena”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012 via mobile

Margarita was good, food was great, service was poor. Food was hot and fast. $0.50 extra for our second cup of chips not cool. If we both order drinks and meals and dessert, don't charge me extra for chips.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Red Wing, Minnesota
“Favorite Friday Night Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Always busy but very good service. Large menu of Mexican selections as well as some American items. Food is always well prepared and served by friendly and attentive wait staff. Can't forget their excellent Margaritas!