“A must see if you're in the area!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 3 Attractions in Preston
Type: Caverns/ Caves, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: The address is a mailing address, but the cave HQ is maybe another 20 miles from Preston, MN so don't use it for your GPS device.
8 attraction reviews
“A must see if you're in the area!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I was camping with friends nearby and we decided to check this out. It was really cool! I had no idea we had stuff like this in MN! Wear a sweatshirt and sturdy shoes.

Visited July 2013

“Beautiful!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I got to know about this beautiful place when searching the web for weekend getaways near Minneapolis. The cave formations were very nice, and the guide gave a good summary about them in the 1 hour scenic tour. The major attraction was the bluish green waters inside the cave.

Visited June 2013
5 attraction reviews
“Worth a visit if you are in the area.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

There are a couple of different tours but we ended up taking the Flashlight Tour. This tour goes through a less developed portion of the cave with only the flashlights for light. You also see Blue Lake on this tour which was pretty cool. The lake was quite full when we went because of recent rain, but sometimes this lake is quite shallow. Although they say that this tour is more physically challenging, there wasn't anything particularly difficult during the tour.

Also, there were quite a few bats in the cave, but the ranger says that they won't bother you. Generally the ceilings were pretty high but there were a couple passages that had a fairly low ceiling where there were bats hanging down from them.

Overall, we had an enjoyable experience and would recommend this to others. It is not as impressive as other caves that I have seen, but still is a worthwhile visit.

Visited May 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
8 attraction reviews
“Surprise Gem of Southern MN!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I had never heard of this cave until I was doing research on Niagara Cave (Harmony, MN). Finding out it's the largest cave in Minnesota, AND happened to be on our way from Rochester, MN, we decided to stop and give this cave a try. It was really fun, family-friendly tour. It's a 3/4 mile walk with very few steps, and the whole tour took only 1 hour. There's also a visitor's center (where tickets can be purchased) and a gift shop. They have several different options/choices in what kind of tour you want to do. We chose to do the Scenic Tour ($10/adult) because it is the one that is advertised that shows off the most cave formations. Definitely bring a jacket, because it's about 40F year-round, and non-skid shoes. I took LOTS of pictures inside, and I found that most of my best photos were taken without using the flash (the flash lights up too much of the rock, without highlighting the unique features of the cave). The inside-lighting on our tour was very good. Not too bright, just highlighting the interesting formations inside the cave. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable, and was VERY patient with answering the very inquisitive little girls' questions.

I went on the tour with a friend who suffers from claustrophobia, but she didn't feel uncomfortable in this cave at all.

Keep in mind that to park at the visitor's center, you need to have a MN State Park pass (we bought a 1-day pass for $5). Also, a lot of the tours depart on the hour, every hour... so try to arrange coming to the park in time for them, otherwise, you would have to wait another hour if you miss the tour. They have a website which you can go to in order to find out the hours of operation, price, and different tour options. If there's been recent heavy rains, I'd definitely call ahead, because as this is an underground cave, it does occasionally get flooded.

Visited June 2013
Minnesota
31 attraction reviews
“Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I am not a big cave person but I did enjoy this one. Lots of formations to see. They tell you the history of the cave. Takes about 1 hour. Be careful walking on the grates they are slippery. The grounds around the cave ( state park ) very nice too. They will provide a jacket if you need one. You most likely get wet.

Visited May 2013