“So close to Excellent....but...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Minneapolis West

You added Crowne Plaza Minneapolis West to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Minneapolis West
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3131 Campus Drive, Plymouth, MN 55441 (Formerly Radisson Hotel and Conference Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Plymouth
Blue Springs, Missouri
“So close to Excellent....but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My wife and I were heading to Minneapolis to celebrate her parentas 59th wedding anniversary. As I am a loyal IHG customer, I always stay at one. This time I decided to splurge ( using my reward nights ) and stay at a Crowne Plaza.

From driving up the road, it appeared to be a very large facility and it was. The lobby was massive. You could tell that it was an older hotel but very well kept. The place was immaculately cleaned.

I met Angela at the front desk. I was all ready for the "script" that consisted of them telling me thanks for being a Priority Club member as well as a "Platinum member". I did not get either. Bummer. I figured with the cars in the parking lot on the 4th of July that I might receive an upgrade to a suite. I am sure they were available but as my mother taught me, never assume.

Once we received our keys ( card ), we went to the room. I was very impressed. It was a businessman's dream! There were outlets everywhere. They also had a business section ( desk ) in the room that had every hookup imaginable. HDMI, ethernet, USB, etc. There was a Kuerig coffee maker in the room. That makes 2 out of 3 Crowne Plaza's I have visited that had one.

The next morning I checked out the "Athletic Club" which is free* to hotel guests. It was very nice. They had ample amounts of free weights, cable machines and cardio equipment. There is also swimming and sauna which I did not use.

There are 2 reasons this hotel did not get the excellent rating from me. The recognition was a small one. ( I can get over that ) but the housekeeping kind of upset me.

On the first full day of our stay, once we returned to the room later that night, I noticed that everything was as it was supposed to be. I had used 2 coffees that morning and 2 cups. They were both replaced. The next morning I used one coffee, 1 coffee cup, the package that the napkin and sugar come in as well as the ice bucket. It was going to be a later start to the day than the previous. We heard a tap on the door. It was 8:30 AM and housekeeping was in full force. We asked her to come back in about an hour. No biggie, right?
When we returned that night, I checked over evrything and noticed that this time, there was no bag for the ice bucket, the coffee that I had used was not replaced, the package that the napkin and sugar came in, the very one I opened was placed nicely against the tray where the coffee goes. The packets of sugar was stacked next to that. Also, my wife noticed that the tub was partially cleaned. This made me wonder if housekeeping had cut any more corners.

I really wanted to give this hotel the full 5 circle rating but I could not overlook the housekeeping thing.

P.S. The room was very quiet. This was a plus.

Room Tip: If you have issues walking, try to get something on the first floor. This is a nice sized hotel and...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I stayed here for a wedding, which took place outside on a very, very hot day. The hotel was a cool, welcome respite from the heat. It has a very pleasant atmosphere and very comfortable. I wish I could have stayed another day and checked out more of the amenities. I was able to check in early and my room was just beautiful. The staff did a great job taking care of the wedding guests and helped me with a wardrobe malfunction, no questions asked. I would love to stay here again!

Room Tip: My room was at the end of the hall so when I was ready to turn in for the night it was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
St. Louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We had a family of 4 staying for a family event. The room was clean and new, however, it was too small. The bathroom was extremely small. We could barely fit 2 people in there at a time. You can’t open and close the door to the bathroom when someone is in there. Bathroom lighting was poor, with floodlights shining straight down on our heads. The refrigerator was small and unnecessarily stocked with candy and drinks, which we had to take out in order to barely store our few items. Also we had a room that adjoined another room next door. And there was no sound barrier at all between the rooms where the door joins. At 1 am, we heard every word our neighbors were saying, not to mention some activities they were doing. It was incredibly annoying. One day the maid service decided to clean our room at 3 pm, after we had been gone all day and wanted to return for naps. And worst of all was the parking. I had to drop my family off at the front door everytime we came back to the hotel. Then I had to go park my car in the lot, which was a nice long walk from the door. This is a newer hotel in the suburbs, not an old hotel in the city; they should be able to provide bigger rooms with larger bathrooms and a parking lot that’s not 200 yards from the front door. So the price was not worth it and and I would not recommend it to others. The breakfast buffet was nice, however.

Room Tip: Don't get an adjoining room - you can hear every word your neighbors say.... and they can hear y...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Crowne Plaza Minneapolis West, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Mike J,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We do value all complaints as opportunities to improve our product. Yes, five days in a hotel room with a full family can certainly be taxing and feel cramped I’m sure. We appreciate your nice comments on our newly renovated rooms and our award winning Sunday Brunch.

Thank you for being our guest.

Jerrod Simkins
Director of Operations
Crowne Plaza Minneapolis West
e - Jerrod.Simkins@CPplymouth.com
Forest Lake, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

The best part of our stay was how accomodating the staff was with helping to reserve the right room for my family and I. Sandy is awesome and extremely helpful. Top that off with a beautiful hotel and an amazing breakfast the next morning. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Thank you Sandy and Crowne Plaza Team!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Wenatchee, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

While traveling with our 5 month old Bernese puppy...they could not have been more friendly. They have a great location for dog walking and put us in a room close to a back exit. Oh, and the room was great, too!

• Stayed May 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Was just at this hotel for a week for a business conference that the hotel also hosted. They do have a lot of space to host business events and they do a great job of facilitating all the scheduling, etc that goes along with that. Snacks and meals provided with the conferences space were yummy and fresh, with a good selection. We also had our meals on site and the food was also fresh, served buffet style, lots of choices and great desserts! The facility also has a nice outdoor area with walking trails, fire pit, volleyball and other games as well as pool tables inside and nice comfy chairs tucked here and there for smaller informal spaces to talk with folks. The lounge area is lively and the drinks are moderately priced. One might our bartender was great, but after that the next several nights the bartender was not very nice and the service suffered as well.

Moving on to the rooms, there were sleep number beds in many of my colleagues rooms and they loved their sleep on them. Rooms are a bit on the small side but all have outside views that are nice. As for me my room was a handicapped access room, as I needed a walk in shower. Overall the room was okay, but it had that dank smell like no one had been in it on a while and felt humid. The bathroom was my biggest negative, with almost no water pressure in the shower and the fixtures walls and floor of the shower were dirty. Also the room had a power strip on the flow beside the bed that was filthy.

I used towels the first night to use the shower but after a long day outside. I needed to wash my hair the next day so I stopped at the front desk to give them a request for the water pressure to be addressed and the shower be cleaned properly. The staff were apologetic and promised to get it fixed while I was attending my afternoon meeting. When I did return to my room, it did look like they came and cleaned some of the shower fixtures,etc but the water pressure was no different and the shower was still not really clean.

I left with mixed feelings about this hotel, most of the staff seemed friendly and inviting, but the level of response to my request was not satisfactory and I never received a follow up to see if things had been taken care of to my satisfaction. I know one other colleage who also had an issue with her room cleanliness as well.
Lastly, the person who checked me in when I arrived was pretty rude and was not very hospitable. I was just presented with a paper to sign for my room and I asked her if the room was king with handicapp acces as I had requested and she answered "well yeah that's what you ordered" and just in general acted like I was interfering with her day in some way. Not a single smile or thank you. But I do want to state that her and the bartender were the only two like that, everyone else I interacted with was friendly and asked if I was rnjoying my stay, etc. there two though was very very much the opposite which is why I mention them. I would like to try this hotel again at some point because maybe this was a one off but for now my review stands.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Crowne Plaza Minneapolis West, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Dear Cbranch2,

I wanted to reach out and thank you for taking the time to review our property.
I am sorry to hear about your issues you encountered while staying with us. We love hearing about our giant and newly renovated meeting spaces, sceneic views and plenty of outdoor activities. Our food always gets great reviews and I am glad to hear that you were able to expiernce these things while you stayed with us.
Water pressure and cleanliness issues are not common issues we deal with so I would love the opportunity to speak with you to futher our investigate your room number and dates of stay. This will assist us in correcting any kind of deficiencies we need to address. It is important to us that you Crowne Plaza experience is one that is great and memorable.

Please feel free to contact me at your leisure as I would love a chance to speak with you in person.
Jerrod Simkins
Director of Operations
Crowne Plaza Mpls West
Jerrod.Simkins@cpplymouth.com
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I booked our stay through Hotwire for 3 adults and 1 child. When checking into the hotel the desk clerk indicated that they only had a room with 1 queen bed and that they could add a roll away bed for us. That still wasn't going to accomodate 3 adults and 1 child. The hotel indicated that Hotwire's request to them was for 2 adults and 1 child (although my confirmation from Hotwire indicated 3 adults and 1 child). Within a matter of a couple of minutes the Director of Operations came to talk to us. He gave us another room for free, even though the problem wasn't the fault of the hotel...it was Hotwire. He, and his staff, were very gracious and accomodating! The hotel was fantastic. They took a very unpleasant and embarassing situation and turned it into a positive experience. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel. I know we will stay there again, but I will call there directly to book my stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Crowne Plaza Minneapolis West? Share your experiences!