“B.Y.O.S.S. (Bring Your Own Soap and Shampoo)” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Plymouth
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“B.Y.O.S.S. (Bring Your Own Soap and Shampoo)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed for two nights last weekend in a Fireplace Suite at the Residence Inn in Plymouth, MN. The temperatures at night were below zero and we thought the additional expense for the fireplace suite would add warmth and relaxation to our weekend... it did... for the first night...

Friday night, the first night of our visit, was wonderful. After dinner, we cooked the complimentary bag of popcorn provided in our room and had a nice quiet evening of watching television by firelight. We then showered, retired for the evening, and had a nice quiet and restful sleep. We wake up early, so it was nice having the in-room coffee available for our use until the breakfast bar in the lobby opened.

When we returned to our room Saturday night, we found that the bed was made, clean towels were provided, and little to nothing else was done by housekeeping in preparation for our second night. The shower soap we used the night before was not replaced, nor was the shampoo, hair conditioner, coffee, or popcorn. The kitchen and dressing area counters were not cleaned, the carpeted floors were vacuumed hastily at best (if at all), and the tile floor in the bathroom was not swept or mopped at all as evidenced by the empty shampoo and conditioner bottles that remained on the floor from our showers the night before.

Upon finding the room in poor condition, I called the front desk at 7:00 p.m. and informed the clerk that the soap, shampoo, hair conditioner, coffee and popcorn that we used the previous evening were not replenished. The desk clerk informed me that housekeeping would be right up with the items. We waited until 8:00 p.m., a full hour, before calling the front desk a second time. The same individual answered the phone and he informed me that he did not know where the on-duty housekeeping person was. I told the front desk that we wanted to shower and go to bed, and that we would appreciate his expediting the delivery of the missing items.

At 9:30 p.m. that evening, a full two and one half hours later, the missing items were still not delivered to our room. We were exhausted and we gave up waiting for the delivery of the missing items, so we went to bed. On Sunday morning, we checked the hall hoping the missing items were outside our door... they weren't. We waited for nearly an hour for the breakfast bar to open so that we could have some coffee... (gee that in-room coffee that wasn't delivered to us sure would have been nice!!!.) When the breakfast bar did open, we went down to the lobby and asked the half awake person on duty at the front desk if there were any notes or messages to the staff for our room number..... nope.... so I explained what transpired the previous evening, only to be greeted with the response; "there should always be soap and shampoo in the rooms." DUH!!! I requested that a manager contact me via email using the email address we provided them at check-in. I was assured by the desk clerk that I would be hearing from someone on Monday. I regret to inform you that I received no communication from anyone at Residence Inn on Monday... perhaps management is hiding somewhere with the housekeeper that no one could locate Saturday night?

We have spent significantly less money for rooms than we did for this room, and on every occasion we received superior service compared to the service that we received from the staff at the Residence Inn in Plymouth, MN this past weekend. For what we were charged for this room each night, the horrid service and the lack of basic amenities in the room is inexcusable.

Room Tip: Apparently, you have your choice of good service and shampoo, or a fireplace.... your call depending...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Michelle R, General Manager at Residence Inn Minneapolis Plymouth, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Pete In St. Paul,
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your recent stay at our hotel. The fireplace suite has been a top seller this past winter with the frigid temperatures. It allows you to relax in our larger suites while getting a bit of home touch feeling with the fireplace.
I sincerely apologize that your suite was not presentable for you during your second night with us. We have always prided ourselves on our housekeeping cleanliness and our staff freindliness overall. This was not the case with your recent stay.
When our staff is cleaning your room for the second night, they are required to make your bed, clean your bathroom, replinsh your amentities that are empty, vacuum, and clean the kitchen area. It sounds as though they didn't replenish the bathroom amentities in your room and your welcome basket in the kitchen. We do typically only stock popcorn on your arrival day, but with your request, there shouldn't have been any issues with getting you more when asked. It is embarassing to know that you had to call the front desk on two occasions to get coffee, shampoo, and soap and even by morning these items were not provided to you.
This was the first that I was hearing of your concerns, so I ask that you please call me or email me directly so that we can discuss further. My email is mrein@csmcorp.net, and my direct line is 763-367-3151.
I look forward to hearing from you so we can get this resolved for you.
Michelle Rein

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Thunder Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

The conference hotel was full and this is where I was sent. Perfect place with two element heat top microwave,dishwasher and full size fridge. Clean quite and great bed. Sitting area with couch and great size. Would recommend to anyone who needs space to work and relax. Breakfast area is the best I have ever seen. Coffee is always on and great quality!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I have stayed at this property many times and have always been satisfied. This time opted for the corner fireplace room. While the room was comfortable, the fireplace only worked for a couple of minutes before turning off. Maintenance confirmed it was not the timer and could not get it to relight. We opted not to change rooms and management adjusted the billing for the inconvenience.

Room Tip: Request corner fireplace room, especially in the winter!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Michelle R, General Manager at Residence Inn Minneapolis Plymouth, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for the nice review that you had provided. I apologize that the upgrade to our fireplace suite was not functioning as it should have been.
Those rooms have been very popular, especially with this cold weather that we have been experiencing, up to -50.
I am glad to hear that you were compensated for your fireplace not working, and that the staff did offer to move you to a room that was fully functional.
We look forward to having you back again soon!
Proctor, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Just stayed here for the 2nd time, and it was perfect for our family. There were only 3 of us that stayed, but my son and his girlfriend came by to visit for a small bday celebration. It was so comfortable and roomy compared to a standard hotel room, where everyone has to sit on the beds. The full-size fridge is a plus. As with last time, breakfast was wonderful, hotel staff very pleasant and accommodating, and the pool is very nice, even though no hot tub. The bed and pillows are extremely comfortable.

Only complaint was when we opened the sofa sleeper for my daughter. First thing we noticed was the mesh under the mattress was ripped. No biggie, but when we folded it out, there was a crumpled up dirty blanket, as well as popcorn and some pills. Folded it back up and went to set up a bed on the cushions, but one of the "fresh" blankets had a dark, fresh looking stain. First night, all three of us ended up sleeping on the bed.

I do have to say, the guy at the front desk was very nice when I told him about it the next morning. He offered to move us to a different room, but rather than pack up and move, we just asked him to have housekeeping bring new blankets and clean the couch mattress. Unfortunately, the damage was done and my daughter wouldn't sleep on the couch the 2nd night, either.

We won't let the couch issue stop us from staying again, as we love the hotel. I took pics, but chose not to post them, as I don't believe it's fair to judge the hotel based on the fact that one housekeeper missed something.

Not sure if it was just a coincidence, but our room number was 119 and we were down there for my 1/19 bday. If this was done on purpose, I think it was very clever and would like to applaud the guy who checked us in!

Room Tip: We had a room close to the pool, which worked out well for my daughter.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Michelle R, General Manager at Residence Inn Minneapolis Plymouth, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
pc350,
Happy Belated Birthday! We appreciate that you decided to celebrate your birthday with us during your recent stay with us. Priceline has been a great resource for many of our guests in hotel savings.
We are happy to hear that there were many of the hotel amenities that you were able to enjoy again after your first stay with us.
I must say, I am very disappointed in the housekeeping service that you had in regards to your pull out sofa. This is something that we stress with the staff as the sofa beds are utilized frequently. I wish that we would have known right away, as we could have sent someone down to your room immediately to take care of those mistakes. I am glad to hear that the gentleman that you spoke with that AM was prompt in making things right.
As you stated before, this is your second stay with us, and I am hoping that you know from your first stay that this is not standard for us at all. Please accept my sincerest apologies on that mistake.
Since you did mention the room number that you were in, I am able to follow up with the housekeeper immediately to make sure that this doesn't happen again!
Take Care, Stay warm, and thank you for choosing the Residence Inn Plymouth!
Lake Mills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

this hotel has everything you would need in a room. it has dishwaser, full size fridge not the mini ones usually in hotel rooms, burner stove and lovely breakfast area with 3 hot items. I loved the 2 room unit with bed room in one room and sofa sleeper in the other room. each room had a tv. they had metal silverware and real ceramic bowls and dishes. the room had only on remote and front desk replaced it with no problem. I plan on staying there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Michelle R, General Manager at Residence Inn Minneapolis Plymouth, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
emcdonald27,
Thank you so much for recently staying with us in Plymouth while you were in the Twin Cities.

I agree with you that having all the amentities that we do really makes you enjoy staying in a hotel. A Residence Inn is not like staying in a typical hotel suite. All of our rooms do offer the full kitchen, living room, and bathroom/vanity area. Our rooms are 50% larger then a standard hotel room. You are able to spread out and enjoy your space watching a movie on the HD flat screen from the full couch, cooking your traditional dietary needs from the kitchen, and sleeping on a Simmons queen or king bed.

I apologize that there was not a second remote for the additional TV in your room, but so glad to hear that the front desk was able to get one up to you right away!

Thank you for staying with us, and have a wonderful New Year!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Stayed for two nights over the holidays. We have stayed there before so knew what to expect. Breakfast had several options that were more than enough to start the day. Only minor issue was the amenities - shampoo, lotion etc that we were provided. Came in tiny tiny bottles and had to ask for lotion at the front desk being they forgot to replace it when they cleaned. If there are 2 or 3 people in the room, you have to ask for extras. Otherwise room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Enjoy to travel,
Thank you for choosing our location when you have so many options available in the Twin Cities.

Depending on the type of room that you reserve and stay in is the amount of amentities that we offer in the room. Marriott Residence Inn requirements is to stock Paul Mitchell travel size bathroom amentities. Unfortunately, lotion is not a requirement that we have to stock in our guest suites, but we do offer complimentary lotion at the front desk for you. Next time, just let us know and we would be happy to run it up to your suite while you are staying with us.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed breakfast and could find many options to start your day with.

We look forward to having you back when you are in the area!
Happy New Year and stay warm!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Our Dad came Home from Florida for Christmas. We sold the family home last summer and we needed a nice 2 bedroom handicap room. I called the Marriott Residence Inn in Plymouth which is close to our home. Sam at the front desk was a "gem" to work with. She let me see the room before hand and it was perfect for our 10 day stay. We decorated the room with a Christmas Tree and even a village under the tree. we had Dad's favorite Chair and lots of family pictures brought in to make the unit feel homey. Dad LOVED IT ! The Staff even let us use a wheel chair that was on site which was a huge help. Room 124 was Dad's home away from home. The only thing that we noticed was the carpet needed to be cleaned or replaced but I understand a handicap room gets a much difference use then a regular standard room. We will return !!
a BIG THANK YOU to the staff of the Residence Inn in Plymouth. you guys are the best !

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
We are thrilled to hear that your father had a great stay with us. It was such a pleasure to be his "home away from home" during the holidays. On our management walk through inspection, we did inspect your dad's room one week that he was there. We were all impressed with the personal touches that you did in your dad's room. Working at a Residence Inn has been such a rewarding experience, and to see how your dad made our space his personal space makes us all appreicate why we work for a Residence Inn. We all wanted to hire all of you to decorate our homes like that. I am sure that he appreciated all the special touches you did for him, and that he was able to relax with family during the holidays.

You are correct in saying that Sam is a "gem." She has been such an asset to our team, and I am thankful that she was able to take care of you while you were looking for accomodations.

We look forward to having your "family" back with us in 2014!

Happy New Year and Stay Warm!
Michelle Rein, General Manager

Been to Residence Inn Minneapolis Plymouth? Share your experiences!