“Not bad for a chain” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Takeout
St Paul, MN
“Not bad for a chain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I read a negative review on this place and almost selected one of the other many available eating places nearby. I decided to give it another chance and the result was positive. Service was fast and good. Food was above average for a chain. Reasonable number of beer brands to chose from. Atmosphere was rustic and pleasant. No reason not to consider eating here.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

64% Recommend
Ames, Ia.
“Don't bother”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

On my annual trip to Grand Rapids, I always stop and spend an hour or two at Cabela's and get my chocolate fix at Russell Stover's but this time I decided I was hungry enough for some real food. We stopped in at Famous Dave's since we had never been there before.
It didn't take long for us to be seated, it wasn't as busy as the parking lot looked.
I ordered a cup of coffee and my companion wanted just water. Our orders were taken quickly, (chili and a muffin for me and chicken dinner for my companion) and our beverages arrived. My coffee was in a standard 8 oz. cup and I thought for sure it would be refilled sometime.
After we placed our order we waited, and we waited and waited some more. Darn, my coffee was gone.
When our order arrived I asked for more coffee. Off our waitress went. I noticed my chili didn't come with the corn muffin-I'll ask when I get the coffee. My first bite of chili told me we should not have wasted our time. It was cold. Not even luke warm, but cold. The cheese that wasn't melting on top was warmer than my chili. My companion's chicken was black on the outside and dry on the inside, I wanted to leave, but he was hungry, happily crunching away on his fries. I waited for the waitress for my coffee and to ask to have my chili warmed up, sipping his water. I wasn't able to flag down someone else, where did they all go?
I finally sat, drinking my companions water while he ate his fries and picked through the rest on his plate.
Our waitress finally shows up, approximately 20 minutes later, no coffee by the way, just asking if she could remove my still full bowl and places our bill on the table. Off she goes again...Not knowing when she would show up again I just stuck money in the folder and left.
After reading the other reviews here, I wonder what happened? I won't bother stopping here again, I'll just stick with my chocolate.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
“Great menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have eaten at several Famous Daves.....This one has some great employees with attention to detail. It is good to great bbq depending on the night. Only downfall is the 9:00 closing.

Visited February 2013
Iowa
“Good food, slow service--but they tried at least!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stopped here at 5 on a Sunday afternoon. There was 4 in our party and it took 25 minutes to get seated even though there were several open tables and booths. When we were seated our waitress, who was very friendly, said several people had called in or were no shows and thus they couldn't get people seated as quickly. I like their food, but it seems strange to me that a 'kid friendly' food like Macaroni and Cheese isn't 'kid friendly'. It's pretty spicy even for someone who likes spicy food. All the food we had was really spicier than we liked, but was served hot and taste was good. For that reason, we will probably find somewhere else until they can tame down the heat a bit. The decor does need updating and a good cleaning.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Menomonie, Wisconsin
“Needs a update.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We have been to a number of other Famous Dave's in other locations over the years and always enjoyed them. This location needs some real help. The table was sticky, menu was stained, bathroom towel dispenser broken. That was just the first appearance. The restaurant was about 40% filled on a friday early afternoon so the management should have been on this. The ribs came out cold and seemed to have a leather texture to them. Obviously sitting not fresh off the smoker. The fries were also cold and dried out. When I attempted to taste the slaw, I discovered that we had no eating utensils delivered with it. For the name sake of "Famous Dave's" please don't judge this one as a standered if you have never eaten at one before.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere