“nothing like other reviews” 2 of 5 stars
Review of RAD Zoo (Reptile Amphibian Discovery Zoo)

RAD Zoo (Reptile Amphibian Discovery Zoo)
3297 N County Road 45, Owatonna, MN 55060
888-472-3966
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 21 things to do in Owatonna
Minnesota
22 attraction reviews
“nothing like other reviews”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My boys and me visited RAD on a Saturday. There were probably two other families in the building with us. The exhibits were very small and I am not a fan of such animals but I actually felt sorry for most of them due to such small cramped places. The building smelled and came off dirty to me. It took us about 25 minutes to walk through the entire exhibit. The staff consisted of one kid working the cash register and there were no shows going on or any animals to touch or hold.
I was not impressed and we will not be going back. I wish we could have had the same fun experience others write about. However that was not the case for us.

Visited January 2013

Le Sueur, Minnesota, United States
13 attraction reviews
“I loved the RAD Zoo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I took my kids on the way back from visiting grandma because we had some extra time that afternoon. It was time (and money) well spent. It is about an hour from my house and we bought a membership because we for sure want to bring our kids back again. The best thing that we like was how up close you felt to the animals at this zoo versus other zoos. The staff was very willing to answer any of the questions my kids had. We loved the show they had, and my kids got to touch a snake and pet an alligator.

Visited November 2012
Minnesota
6 attraction reviews
“More up-close and hands-on than the big zoos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This was much more hands on and up close compared to visiting a big zoo. Staff was very friendly and answered all of our questions. I will definitely be back so I purchased a year membership.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
15 attraction reviews
“Great Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I took our friend's 11 year old daughter to this zoo, and we all had a great time. They have a wide variety of reptiles and amphibians--from adorable to intimidating. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. I had purchased a discount voucher for our tickets, and it included a photo with one of the animals. Our young friend got her picture taken with a boa constrictor. We got to see one of their demonstrations. One of the staff showed a half-dozen of the animals and explained where they live, what they eat, etc. and also took questions. The children in the audience were very inquisitive, and the zookeeper was patient and adept at answering the questions.

The building is quite warm, and they do not have air conditioning so I wouldn't recommend going during the hottest part of summer. Our early fall visit was warm, though still enjoyable. The staff mentioned that many of the animals hibernate in the winter, so a visit at that time might prove less interesting since the animals would be less active. It was definitely worth the hour drive from the Cities, and I would recommend it--especially if you have children who are fascinated by snakes, alligators and the like. They offer birthday party packages, and had an area devoted to that.

Visited September 2012
5 attraction reviews
“Great hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

Loved this place! This zoo is housed inside a warehouse, but we were impressed with the collection of creatures. Staff was very friendly and engaging. All of the exhibits had signs with interesting facts. We also got to hold an alligator :). Our kids (ages 10 and 7) had a great time. Definitely recommend this if you are in the Owatonna area.