“"Best place ever", according to a 4 year old.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 11 hotels in Owatonna
Bennett, Iowa, United States
“"Best place ever", according to a 4 year old.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My 4 and 9 year old really enjoyed the waterpark. The safari theme was a nice change from the modified playground equipment and the dumping barrel that we're used to at every othernwaterpark we've been to, and that's been a lot. I did see that it needed some TLC, some paint, a few totems were broken, but nothing major. The hot tub was out of service while we were there. The arcade wasn't anything special.
The room was adequate, the beds were comfortable, I was able to get a good nights sleep. The internet was fast, but not sure about 'high speed' watching hulu on a laptop was a no go. There was a real coffee maker, not the 'slip in a disposal plastic basket and a cup' type, but a glass carafe and real mugs. The shower head was a bonus, it was high enough that I didn't have to stoop to wash my hair. At just a tad over 6 foot tall you wouldn't think that was an issue nowadays, but it is. There were plenty of pillows for both beds, the sheets and towels were soft. The heating/ac unit was quiet. The carpet even passed the 'white sock' test. There were plenty of electrical outlets around the room, but all were subject to the 'only the top port works' curse. I did find that the bedside lamp and the clock where connected to the entryway light. Still don't know why you can't have a clock and a light going at the same time, but I carry a multi-plug in my luggage for my sleep machine anyway,so I was prepared. The boys got free dinner and breakfast, and I got a bogo free drink card. Given my first impression of the buckets catching dripping water from the ceiling when I came to check in I was ready to be disappointed. But I was checking on ealry and was grateful to be able to get in a room and out of the snowstorm (in April no less!) that I was willing to overlook the wet floor to just get off the roads. Turns out, the snowstorm was responsible for the leak anyway, and everything was great. Had dinner and breakfast onsite and it was great food. All in all, a great place for a family with young kids to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

114 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

As a Platinum member I got upgraded to a huge corner suite. Room was ok but nothing special and this would sum up this hotel for me. Might actually be better suited to large families with young children since they have the pool and slides to keep them happy. Bar and breakfast area was adequate but staff were happy and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Hammy59,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. It is pleasing to know that you found our room to be sufficient for your needs and our staff was helpful. It is always nice to receive positive feedback from guests like you.

We value you as our IHG Rewards Club Platinum Member and wish the next time you visit the area, you give our hotel another try.

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
SD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and stayed here one night . The rate seemed high especially when you don't receive free breakfast. For being a Gold Priority Club member, we received a buy one drink, receive one drink free. What a deal! Some Holiday Inns at least give you buy one breakfast, get one breakfast free. This being said, our room was very nice and it was recently updated. We had a very comfortable bed, a small sofa bed, a fridge and microwave and the internet worked good. One negative was that the room was very hot and we had to keep the heater on 58 degrees and it was 20 degreees outside. I would have given this property an excellent rating except for the fact the the hallways and elevator area need to vacuumed badly. They were littered with all kinds of trash. We even found coins in the hallway. We ate in the restaurant one evening and the food was just fine. Our food bill however, showed something extra we hadn't ordered and after bringing this to the waiter's attention, it was removed off our bill. There are other places to eat close by like Subway, Famous Dave's, Timberlodge, and Wendy's.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
South Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This hotel was way over priced! Even as a Priority Club member, the three of us were put in a room with one bed and a pull out sofa. When the sofa bed was pulled out, the end of the sofa bed actually touched the side go the king bed. So the person sleeping on that side of the king bed could not get out. The room was so small that on the opposite side from the sofa bed, the night stand drawer next to the king bed could not open because it was blocked by the heat/air unit. My tween aged sons were underwhelmed by the water park. It was small and cramped. Very disappointing considering the price I paid.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear SLPinSD,

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Everything was excellent at this hotel. We stayed in a suite. 5 Adults and 2 Children (6 & 2). My girls had a great time at the water park. It was clean and there were always clean towels available. Plenty of places to sit as well. The restaurant was clean and the staff was friendly. There were lots of options to chose from on the menu. Kids under 12 eat free (dinner and breakfast) with a paying adult. There was an arcade but we didn't use it. The room was perfect for a family night. The room had a dorm sized fridge, microwave, sink and table with 4 chairs. Perfect for games. One room had a king sized bed and the other room had 2 queens. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have had. They had both firm and soft pillows and the sheets were soft. Each room had a TV and its own heat/ac unit. The staff was always friendly and were able to answer any of our questions. We will definately be going back!! Thanks for making our stay fun. One thing I wish I would have packed was a life jacket for my 2 yr old. Even though they have a perfect area for that age she wanted to be with her sister which with my husband was fine but the life jacket would have put my anxiety fears to rest. Both girls loved the tube slide.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Woodbury, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

After spending the previous night in a cabin with no plumbing we were excited to have a comfy bed, hot shower and the kids were excited to play in the waterpark. The room was spacious and clean. The restaurant was great. The food very tasty and the waitstaff and bartender very friendly. The kids ate free so that was definitely a bonus. The waterpark was great fun for our 9 and 5 year old. The only complaint I have was an overbearing lifeguard that couldn't seem to leave our family alone. We were following all of the rules, but the lifeguard seemed to have it in her mind that we needed to be scolded several times. The arcade is a bit small, but fun for 10-20 minutes of play. The 'cafe' in the waterpark was also closed, but didn't look like it would have had much for us if it would have been open. All in all we had a good experience with this hotel. Friendly staff at check in and check out and warm, comfortable beds in the room. If you're looking for a fun family friendly hotel in the Owatonna area, stay here.

• Stayed February 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The staff in the hotel and restuarant were just really helpful and full of energy. It made the stay very nice. I do, as another traveler indicated have an issue with the light switch that turns out all lights (very odd).

Super clean place workout room was in great shape. I very large lobby giving you the feeling of a lodge.

This place is a very good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna? Share your experiences!