“Not a huge fan! Waterpark Sucks and poor customer service!” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 10 hotels in Owatonna
“Not a huge fan! Waterpark Sucks and poor customer service!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

This hotel could be so much better. For starters we were very disappointed in the water park.
1. The water park is very small, and not much fun for a family of three.
2. We were there well over an hour and they had ZERO towels available. It is pretty cold standing around dripping wet when they have blown the whistle for a mandatory break. We asked several employees several times about getting towels and they claimed they were all in the laundry! They refused to call the front desk and we ended up using napkins to dry off a tad. After heading to our room and changing we promptly went down to the front desk to discuss our disappointment, we were not happy to find out they refused to do anything for us. It would have been nice to at least receive a free drink ticket or breakfast voucher.
3. As far as rooms go it was just OK nothing to brag about. The sofa bed was not comfy and the queen bed was pretty hard. Plus the room had a bit of a musty odor.
4. I don't even want to get started on the horrible service we received during breakfast! I don't think our waitress Shelia should have been feeding her face at the Buffet and not getting us our beverages and then the check. We are disappointed overall in the poor customer service we received at this hotel. The book in our room stated that if we were not satisfied to bring it to their attention and they would make it right, well we brought things to their attention and we didn't even receive an I am sorry. I have to say I don't plan on returning anytime soon.

• Stayed July 2012

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Hotel looked new, rooms were clean and had all needed amenities. Family had a great time at the waterpark, and the staff were great. The location of this hotel is perfect. Restaurant was good. Would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Our family had a great stay. Our kids are 8, 6, 3 and 1. IF YOU HAVE KIDS 10 AND UNDER, THIS IS A PERFECT PLACE TO STAY. We paid $179 for a room with 2 queen beds, which included five wristbands for the waterpark. We were told our 1 year old did not need a wristband. Our four kids ate free at the restaurant the evening we arrived and also at the breakfast buffet Saturday morning. The restaurant was very good. Food was similar in quality and selection as an Applebees or TGIFridays. The environment of the restaurant was very kid friendly and our waitress Friday evening was so friendly and accomodating. Our room had two queen beds, a microwave and mini refrigerator. The waterpark was not very busy, but considering we visited the second week in August and we had beautiful weather it was not too surprising that most people were likely spending their time outdoors and not at an indoor waterpark. The waterpark has a tube slide (1 and 2 person tubes), a body slide, a lazy river loop, a zero entry toddler pool area with a small slide, water features, and a waterpolo/basketball hoop area. There were lifeguards at the tops and bottoms of both waterslides and walking along and monitoring the pool areas. The maximum depth at the base of the slides was 3 and 1/2 feet. My 8 and 6 year old girls had a blast going on both waterslides by themselves and I felt safe letting them do so. The lifeguards were friendly and did a good job of redirecting behavior that was not safe. They also enjoyed the lazy river loop, which was small compared to most waterparks, but that is also what made this place such a great place for us. I spent most of my time with my 3 year old going down the tube slide with him in my lap. He loved it! And he loved floating with me on a tube in the lazy river as well. Our 1 year old enjoyed floating in tubes with us in the lazy river and going down the slide with me in the toddler pool area. There is a large arcade adjacent to the pool area that we did not go into, but looked like a hit with the tween and teen aged kids. I have never written a review of any hotel I have stayed in, but our stay was just so perfect for our family I felt compelled to write a great review of this place. I was so surprised when I saw the negative reviews posted for this hotel. We had a great stay and all people in the hotel, restaurant and waterpark were friendly. Our stay was a last minute reservation made the same day we arrived, so I had not packed a lifejacket for our 3 year old. There were two lifejackets in the snack area that the woman behind the snack counter offered me when I asked if they happend to have a lifejacket for our 3 year old. If I could offer a suggestion it would be to have more lifejackets available for toddlers. However, Cabela's is located next to the hotel, so had we been staying more than one night I would have likley purchased one there. We have a waterpark in our town and we have been to very large waterparks Wisconsin Dells area. This waterpark was better than your standard hotel pool but small compared to major waterparks and that is why we liked it. It was small enough to be able to keep track of our four kids easily and was staffed by lifeguards which allowed my 8 and 6 year old a little freedom from my watchful eye and allowed me to spend time with my 3 and 1 year old too! Is it the Ritz-Carlton, of course not, but I was not expecting that. I felt with the free meals for our kids and five waterpark wristbands it was a great value! We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Seward, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Close to Cabela's, restaurants and Menford outlet mall. Clean room, tasteful decor. Only downfall..... All top plugs on outlet was wired into door switch, next to impossible to turn off the light next to your bed and see what you are doing. My husband's apnea machine had to be plugged in the top to stay on all night. No way to get in bed and turn off the light. Also difficult to get to a plug to charge you phone, not to mention the alarm clock/radio they provide.

Room Tip: Make sure you situate the plug situation before you get in bed
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I did not have any problems with my stay here. Everything was clean, the bedding was comfortable, and room had good amenities. I used the fitness center while I was here and I would say that it was pretty satisfactory. Larger than most hotel fitness centers. I did not use the water park but it seemed like it would be paradise for a child. I think that this hotel has competitors that are outperforming them. One example would be the breakfast. I am not sure if they offer free breakfast as I went in the restaurant and bought breakfast (which was very good by the way), but if I had to choose between this hotel and a competitor with free breakfast, I would probably choose the competitor. Prices are about the same, maybe even a little more at this place. Overall I would probably stay here again. Also just FYI - this hotel is a little ways outside of Owatonna. It is located on an exit just north of Owatonna, so there are not too many attractions right close to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Lafayette, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I was here for two weeks in July. My room was very good. Cleaned everyday. The bathroom was perfect.

This place has an indoor water park which I did not use but heard it was fun.

The restaurant/bar was pretty good. The service staff in the restaurant were friendly.

The BEST part of my stay (and after) was the front desk staff. They were all extremely friendly and helpful. I called about a week after my stay to make sure my points were added to my priority club membership. Krista Lau was who helped me. She found all the info I needed and discovered that I had multiple accounts. She went above and beyond, did the research, and enabled me to combine all of my accounts. This was more than a week after I had stayed there. That is service!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Fremont, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

...Everything about our stay here was really nice. The room was terrific (we had a family suite), we really enjoyed the water park (so did our kids, ages 8, 5, 3, and 18 months), and we didn't have any trouble with noise even though we were in the closest room to the water park and were near the game room. We got the Cabela's package, so we got a $20 voucher (which covered breakfast except for tax and tip), waterpark bracelets for the family, and a $10 Cabela's gift card.

Would I have preferred a free breakfast bar instead of going into the restaurant? Of course. Did I wish the water park was as big as something like Great Wolf Lodge? Of course. BUT I KNEW BEFORE I CAME THAT I WASN'T GOING TO GET THOSE THINGS. If you come in knowing exactly what to expect, I think you'll be satisfied. If you come in expecting Wisconsin Dells...well, you'll be disappointed.

The only real complaint I had was that the lazy river at the pool was more like a lap pool with kids running around and through the people trying to float on the tubes. I didn't care for that, and I believe the lifeguards should have put a stop to it. However, that was only a minor annoyance.

Here's a tip for early risers: We stayed on a Friday night and the water park got pretty crowded. After we had breakfast on Saturday morning, we went back for another hour in the pool shortly after it opened, and there were very few people there. It was much nicer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna? Share your experiences!