“Don't Inquire About 1 Night!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mango Sunset BnB at Lyman Farms

Save Saved
You added Mango Sunset BnB at Lyman Farms to your Saves list
Mango Sunset BnB at Lyman Farms
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   73-4261 Mamalahoa Hwy., Kalaoa, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Kalaoa B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Don't Inquire About 1 Night!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I'll keep this short and sweet (or not so sweet):
We had one night left unbooked on our BI visit to family. I had inquired at staying at the Mango Sunset on a Tuesday night via email. Three days later I called the B&B to follow up. I opened the conversation with a super friendly "just following up with my inquiry that I had emailed a few days ago....---couldn't even finish my sentence before I was cut off.
I was taken back by the sternness and shortness by the gentleman on the other end, who didn't even let me finish my question. He cut me off by asking who I was, what my email was regarding, and---as I'm trying to reply to these questions--- he's informing me that I had wanted to stay Sunday night for one night (incorrect) and stated that they did get the email but as clearly stated on their website they have a two night minimum and that they don't have time to respond to those kinds of questions. I went to reply.... but he cut me off again.
I couldn't finish my question before he said ok, thank you bye. Hangs up.
I honestly was so taken back by the first call I thought I should call back and mention where I got the idea from so that he didn't have any further inquires for the same type of thing. I called back a minute later and barely got the words out that I too am a family business owner and I don't like stupid questions ------I couldn't even finish my sentence without him cutting me off the tell me that he's working over 50 hours a week, doesn't have the time -----and hangs up on me again!! Jaw dropped. I"m thinking are you kidding me?

As quoted from the Mango Sunset B&B website:
"Two night minimum. Some exceptions on request ($25.00 cleaning fee)."

I find it rather frustrating that 1) a simple email can't be acknowledged 2) you get hung up on when you call to inquire because there's already a predisposed annoyance with one night inquires 3) so poorly treated when you're just trying to support a local business.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kona_Innkeeper, Owner at Mango Sunset BnB at Lyman Farms, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
This is the second "review" in eight years from a person who was NEVER our guest. I really wish TripAdvisor would put limitations on "reviews" (as they do for responses) that require respondents to have actual lodging experience at the establishment that they write about so that a "review" can't be based on one phone call coming from time zone 3-6 hrs different than our own, and at a very inconvenient time. Her email fell through the cracks because its importance was very low, and I feel that if we had sent a simple "no", she would have called here several times anyway. This particular lady was extraordinarily insistent, even aggressive, in pursuit of what she wanted US to do. Her behavior reminded me of a high pressure phone sales person. We have a 2 day min. policy for exactly that reason -- namely that we can decide to go with it or not -- and she was not willing to take no for an answer. As you can see from her contribution "short and sweet', she is not only long-winded but very assertive and assuming. Her "first sentence" took several minutes, and I finally had to jump in, reminding her that exceptions our OUR option, not hers. Well, that was just totally unacceptable for her. She simply would NOT LET ME GET OFF THE PHONE, and I was forced, after about 5 minutes of her tirade, to say Good Bye and hang up. She CALLED BACK TWICE to give me more pieces of her mind, until I had to tell her that I do (I really do!) work 50 hrs p. week with little time to spare, and that our bookings go mostly through the internet. Why would she "drop her jaw" about that? And "just trying to support a local business"? Please! One day against our choice, and now she is trying to ruin our reputation? I really hope another (none-)guest like this experience will not occur, for at least another 4 years.

168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed at Mango Sunset B & B for three days, and wish we'd stayed a week. Nice, clean, charming rooms... The ocean side view is well worth it. But on either side, you get a view of their lovely gardens.

Breakfast was hearty and delicious with plenty of amazing organic coffee. The owners are friendly and very knowledgeable about the area, farming, and Hawaiian history. They are willing to show you around their lovely coffee estate or let you stroll around yourself! And there are friendly cats on the estate, if you're looking for a furry friend away from home. Did I mention their coffee?

It's set back enough from Mamalahoa Hwy that we didn't notice the road at night. It's up the hill enough from the ocean that it's a bit cooler (temperature wise) than other places we stayed on the island. Great location for touristing around the Kona/Kailua area. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone that likes B & Bs and/or just coffee!

Room Tip: Ocean side! Your own lanai area overlooking coffee trees and the western facing ocean; perfect for a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I can only state the positive because i have nothing to compare it with. Im glad we stayed here a few days and then a few days in a condo. We got the best of both worlds. The view was awesome, breakfast was filling, the conversation was very informative. We wanted to hear about the coffee industry, thats why we stayed there. These accomodations are not very private but fully stocked with ammenities. No TV. Yahoo. It was nice to not hear one for awhile. The classical music was a nice change. I would rec. this to my friends, with emphasis on how different it is from condo or resort vacations.

Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We had a splendid time at the the Mango Sunset B&B. We chose it because it was away from Kona and that turned out to be a good choice. It was quiet, cooler at night and surrounded by beautiful gardens and the coffee orchard. The view in the morning was gorgeous. We enjoyed our hosts' stories and found both Marcia and Hans a great source of useful as well as interesting historical, botanical and cultural information. We appreciated the tour of the coffee business. Han's breakfasts were the best. We are still reminiscing about the macadamia nut taro pancakes!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The wife and I stayed for 4 nights in early January, and while our stay was generally enjoyable and a good value, it may not be 'the place' for everybody.

First off, it is a bit away from everywhere. This isn't unique to this place, as most of the 'civilization' of the Kailua-Kona side is up on the mountainside away from the beaches and commercial district, but you are not in walking distance to anything or any public transportation. It's a 5-10 minute drive to the commercial district of Kailua-Kona, 5-10 minute drive to the airport, 5-10 minute drive to any restaurants, 10-15 minute drive to any beaches, etc.

Secondly, the B&B is the owner's prevous residence and it is built like a residence and not an inn. One or two of the rooms have attached bathrooms, the rest share the bathroom in the hall; all of the rooms but one open up into a common porch; the doors are standard residential doors (i.e. paper thin and don't block noise); and the interior walls are similarly residential. A shared kitchen, laundry in the hall, a common TV room, etc. (I'm not stating all this to complain, but to set expectations of potential guests...it isn't a very 'private' experience)

On the other hand, you do get to know your fellow guests, as breakfast is served communal style on the lanai/porch. It was nice to be forced out of our cocoon and interact with people I wouldn't have normally interacted with, but this may not be for everybody.

Basically, if you're looking for privacy and the standard hotel/resort experience, this isn't the place for you. I most definitely wouldn't recommend it for honeymooners, even though it is a lovely place and the proprieters are very nice people.

A few tips for staying here:
1) The weather at the B&B is much cooler than at the beaches. It was in the lower 60s in the mornings, so breakfast is a bit chilly; bring a windbreaker and pants.
2) The driveway LOOKS like a divided road, but it isn't. There are two separate 1000ft driveways right next to each other. Go up the left side as there isn't a way to cross over further up.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Beijing, Beijing, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My family of four and two friends joining us from Canada spent our winter holiday at the Mango Sunset B&B. All in all we appreciated the convenience of having access to some kitchen appliances and a washer and dryer ($5 a load). Another positive was the location being close to the airport as well as downtown. We found Marsha very helpful in responding to our questions and appreciated the special Christmas breakfast she made for the other guest and our party. She also gave our son a present on Christmas morning, which was very sweet. In our opinion the B&B is very good value - quiet and relaxing at night. However, we wouldn't suggest this B&B if you have a young family as there isn't really anywhere for them to play. Not having a "child-proof "area for the kids to go sometimes made things stressful. The good news is that there are many great parks and beaches close by. There are two cats and a dog and the dog is skittish around children so you do need to be vigilant. Also, the animals tend to use the rocks around the B&B as their toilet, which is problematic when you aren't watching where you are going. Finally, we stayed in the Naia room, which is next to the kitchen where breakfast is made. If you plan to sleep in I would not book this room as you are able to hear every noise from the kitchen and it sounds as though you were in the kitchen with everyone. We greatly appreciated having breakfast served but the overwhelming opinion was that it isn't fair to describe it as gourmet. It was tasty and generous, that's for sure. Many other reviews commented on the demeanor of the host and owner, Hans as "off-putting". Hans has a very strong personality and blunt way of communicating. He also tends to dominate conversations. All of these factors made some moments quite tense and, at times, uncomfortable for guests. Overall, we really enjoyed our time in Hawaii and hope that our feedback helps to make Mango Sunset an even better accommodation option. The gazebo in the back that is currently being built will make for a perfect place for guests to enjoy the beautiful sunsets.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
The Hague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We visited “Mango Sunset BnB” in August 2012. We stayed there for three nights. I am reading some of these reviews and I honestly cannot believe when I see what people complain about. It seems to me like they all grew up with silver spoons in their mouths.
We arrived pretty late, it was almost midnight, but thanks to a good explanation, we didn’t have any troubles finding the place. We followed the instructions and found ourselves in the room that was not a size of a Beverly Hills house (which I think is quite OK, don’t you?), but a quite nice BnB room. Everything was clean and nice, and the fact that we didn’t have a bath tub didn’t bother us at all. Later during our vacation, we spent one night at Hilton hotel also in Kona and that room also didn’t have a bath tub (imagine!)
We met with Marsha and the daughter Karen in the morning, we had a nice chat and an amazing coffee. Breakfast was really great, freshly made every day and served from 07h30 (not 07h00!) to 09h00. There was another couple there at the time we were there, so it wasn’t crowded. Unfortunately, we didn’t have a chance to go for a coffee tour because we already planned too many activities, but if we go back to Kona, we definitely will. We met Hans briefly when we went to buy coffee and we had a nice, short chat with him.
The estate is really beautiful with lot of amazing plants and fruits that we never saw before. The view from the lanai was wonderful and it was nice to sit there in the morning having first coffee and breakfast. Taking off shoes is something that is common in Hawaii and my boyfriend and I have no problem following the good old saying “When in Rome…”.
We would definitely go back!

Mahalo Karen, Marsha and Hans for our lovely stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mango Sunset BnB at Lyman Farms? Share your experiences!