The wife and I stayed for 4 nights in early January, and while our stay was generally enjoyable and a good value, it may not be 'the place' for everybody.
First off, it is a bit away from everywhere. This isn't unique to this place, as most of the 'civilization' of the Kailua-Kona side is up on the mountainside away from the beaches and commercial district, but you are not in walking distance to anything or any public transportation. It's a 5-10 minute drive to the commercial district of Kailua-Kona, 5-10 minute drive to the airport, 5-10 minute drive to any restaurants, 10-15 minute drive to any beaches, etc.
Secondly, the B&B is the owner's prevous residence and it is built like a residence and not an inn. One or two of the rooms have attached bathrooms, the rest share the bathroom in the hall; all of the rooms but one open up into a common porch; the doors are standard residential doors (i.e. paper thin and don't block noise); and the interior walls are similarly residential. A shared kitchen, laundry in the hall, a common TV room, etc. (I'm not stating all this to complain, but to set expectations of potential guests...it isn't a very 'private' experience)
On the other hand, you do get to know your fellow guests, as breakfast is served communal style on the lanai/porch. It was nice to be forced out of our cocoon and interact with people I wouldn't have normally interacted with, but this may not be for everybody.
Basically, if you're looking for privacy and the standard hotel/resort experience, this isn't the place for you. I most definitely wouldn't recommend it for honeymooners, even though it is a lovely place and the proprieters are very nice people.
A few tips for staying here:
1) The weather at the B&B is much cooler than at the beaches. It was in the lower 60s in the mornings, so breakfast is a bit chilly; bring a windbreaker and pants.
2) The driveway LOOKS like a divided road, but it isn't. There are two separate 1000ft driveways right next to each other. Go up the left side as there isn't a way to cross over further up.
- Also Known As:
- Mango Sunset Bnb At Lyman Farms Hotel
- Mango Sunset Bnb At Lyman Farms Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Farm-style BnB, located on our gold-medal-winning Organic Kona Coffee Estate. Hot breakfasts plus our Kona Coffee, fruit, juice included. Serene, secluded, cozy, in 2100 ft., private driveway & parking. Breathtaking ocean views across our Kona Coffee Farm from the West Lanai and the Gazebo, where to serve our breakfast for all. Minutes from Kona town and airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Mango Sunset BnB at Lyman Farms reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.