“Our least favorite” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mango Sunset BnB at Lyman Farms

You added Mango Sunset BnB at Lyman Farms to your Saves list
Mango Sunset BnB at Lyman Farms
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   73-4261 Mamalahoa Hwy., Kalaoa, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Kalaoa B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
webster, WI
“Our least favorite”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

I too scanned the reviews prior to booking and then again after our return home. I appreciated seeing reviews that confirmed our discomfort in the rules and expectations of the host. We have traveled extensively and have never before felt uncomfortable due to the inn keeper's personality. The rules were not extensive but were clearly meant as rules and not requests. For example, I was confused by the need to sit in an assigned place on the lanai for breakfast since there were few guests staying there at the time. We are not rude guests and did not expect a rude host.

Aside from the personality issue, I was very impressed with the view although the rooms are small and noise traveled easily between them. I'm certain Hans has reviewed many other B&B room rates when stating their's are the cheapest, but I did find other BnBs less expensive with more comfortable atmospheres. I would recommend Hale Maluhia Country Inn in Kona.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Kona_Innkeeper, Owner at Mango Sunset BnB at Lyman Farms, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
This guest couple was trouble--and we knew it. The lady "knew everything" about coffee, took the free 90 min. tour I offer for free but interrupted constantly--which makes things hard for the presenter and the group. On another review page, she hurled actual personal insults at us (she must have known this page does not allow that). The reference to "our rules" appears several times over the last 7 years of reviews. We give a 5 min. orientation upon arrival of guests. We include the quality of our drinking water, location of laundry facilities, light switches, fridge and such. The only "rules" are clearly stated on the page and anyone who makes a reservation has pledged to have read and accepted them: no smoking, no street shoes in the house (that's VERY common in Hawaii). Conceivably listening to 5 minutes of explanations is too much for some travelers, especially if they arrive already exhausted or grumpy. The "expectations" we have of our guests are absolutely minimal and are based on providing comfort for all other guests (such as no laundry after 8PM). Yes, there are 4 guest rooms and 4 sets of tables and chairs on our ocean view lanai DIRECTLY outside the respective rooms. If this lady took exception to using her own area, she had little respect for the privacy of other guests who might want to utilize their lanai set-up, but would find it occupied. Many of our guests chose to have communal tables (we help them push them together), but that's based on mutual wishes among guests. Everyone knows that there are no restrictions on roaming the farm and looking at the coffee plant. This lady is just plain mean and showed it. A couple of times my ethnicity has been enough to trigger a negative reaction, and prejudice is always hurtful. We expected that she would attempt to do as much harm as possible to our excellent reputation, but there is little we can do about that. Thankfully, such guests are extremely rare: please compare our overall review scores.
Mahalo!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Finnish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

We stayed here for two weeks and it was great!! Amazing breakfasts with fresh fruit, 100% organic kona coffee, and Mac nut pancakes, taro waffles, etc. The rooms are small but adequate. They have a small carbon footprint by using solar showers. We always had hot showers. We got a free 90 minute coffee tour which was very informative. We did some diving and it was really convenient to wash our gear and hang it to dry...they have a great set up. Hans and Marcia were very helpful, they provided a map of local sites and gave us some good restaurant recommendations. We will definitely return to the Mango Sunset next time we are on the Big Island.

• Stayed January 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

We were overall really happy with our experience at this b and b. The facilities were really good, we had access to a barbecue and kitchen. Our room was comfy and quiet with beautiful views towards the coast. It was cosy and homely. Also excellent coffee! We made also with instant friends with the dog and kittens. A memorable stay!

• Stayed January 2012
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I was very apprehensive about going to a new place, but when we arrived to the Mango Sunset B and B I felt like we were coming to a wonderful sanctuary. The trip from the airport was so comforting with the detailed instructions to the Inn. We were exhausted from the trip when Marsha and Karen met us at the door they made us feel very welcome.
We crawled into our bed within 1/2 an hour. When we woke up fresh coffee, juice and fresh organic home grown fruit was waiting for us and the full house of guests. We were welcomed by Hans with a wonderful taro pancake breakfast. This was how it was every morning with a different breakfast everyday. We stayed 10 days and enjoyed our peaceful vacation. The coffee tour was very interesting. Hans has lived in many places, but he has found his dream place and is very passionate about growing coffee and many other fruits, flowers and vegetables in the most enviromentally safe way. He is very aware of his role in farming the land in Hawaii.
I would recommend this place to anyone who has an open mind and can overcome the imperfections and learn to enjoy themselves in any circumstance.

Room Tip: If you want a view from your room ask for it. Otherwise you can go to where the view is on the deck...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Independence, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We spent 2 nights at Mango Sunset B&B December 2011. We found the innkeepers friendly and enjoyed the talk about raising coffee. The breakfasts were original and tasty. The view was outstanding! Our only complaint would be that the bedrooms are very small. Other than that, we enjoyed our stay, the innkeepers and the food.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

The food was fantastic, the people hosting are a bit Odd. Very disappointed there were some strange rules, no coffee after certain times of the day. Weird! especially at a coffee place. The rooms were ok. The view is spectacular. Just need some friendlier folks runnin the place.

Room Tip: bring your own coffee.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Kona_Innkeeper, Owner at Mango Sunset BnB at Lyman Farms, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
We don't understand their final ratings choice, since rooms and breakfast were OK or better. We are NOT a hotel, and BnB means Room and Breakfast, not coffee all day. We are a working farm and do anything to please our guests, as long as they are nice and reasonable. The 100% Organic Koa Coffee we serve in a large pump pot usually stays on the breakfast counter for quite some time after breakfast, but we can't make fresh coffee in the afternoon or evening for 1 or 2 guests -- does that make us "strange"?
Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

1. Don't believe the photos on their website, they have a great photographer but the place isn't special.

2. Strange (not in a nice way) innkeepers.

3. Great view but not worth the price.

4. NO bathtubs!

5. Dirty shower. Bedroom smelled like mold.

Do you like getting a talking to with your breakfast? Are you really into coffee but don't much care about how comfortable or pleasant your room is? If so, this is the place for you!

As for the innkeepers, I do feel bad for Marsha. It seems Hans likes to rule with an iron fist... or just a loud voice. I hope she's ok.

When first I called mango sunset I wasn't sure everything was ok with Marsha. She sounded hesitant but eventually offered me a room for that night. This was the only B&B we could find at the last minute and without a three night minimum. My sweetheart and I decided to take the room.

Upon arriving Marsha greeted us and made us aware of amenities like the washing machine we could use, but not right now because it was loud(a few moments later a farmhand was using it). She took my credit card and said several times, "I'll be back with this." I began to doubt...

She did come back and we specified we didn't need anything special for breakfast -just a little fresh fruit because we were both eating raw food at the time. Marsha asked several times about what we ate and I kept trying to assure her she didn't need to go to any lengths. She kept at it and I said that if she felt uncomfortable with fruit, she could bring us nothing and if she felt uncomfortable with that she could give us a discount. She seemed a little defensive about this but she did say breakfast was served an the lanai at 7am.

We were weary so I wasn't so glad to have to clean someone else's hair out of the shower before using it. It was that kind of short curly hair no one wants to clean up. marsha had said she was waiving the "cleaning fee". Glorious. The bed wasn't comfortable either, I couldn't get to sleep easily.

"Coffee is made, breakfast is served!" woke us from the hallway. Breakfast included awesome exotic fruits and Hans loudly telling his life's story ~ for about 45 minutes. There was another couple there nodding along but my sweetheart was not into it. He asked for a little quiet and Hans became angry. He told us we could "meditate" anywhere on the property. He came over and stood over our table and began telling us all about how guests at a B&B are supposed to behave and saying that everyone else wanted to talk. (the other couple managed to politely decline further conversation). He also pointed out that fresh fruit wasn't easy to provide. He said he had woken early to prepare it for us. I wanted to give Hans the benefit of the doubt and I pointed out to my sweetie that we were in their special place and that B&B hosts can be weird. But you know, my baby was totally right. $140 does suggest we receive some kind service and their website does promise "pampering".

fail.

Hans, maybe meditating is a good idea.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Kona_Innkeeper, Owner at Mango Sunset BnB at Lyman Farms, responded to this review, November 26, 2011
Two very young students arrived as a surprise without reservations for one night (boyfriend from Puna side). Extremely choosey with food: we are used to vegetarian, low salt, low fat, etc., but this couple ate only "raw foods". I bent over backwards and made them a large plate of five different prepared raw fruits (no thank you was offered). They spoke to one another in whispers -- really unusual. I suspect that they consider normal conversational voices "too loud". The other sets of guests (we have 4 rooms, and all of us -- including host-- take breakfast on the ocean view lanai) had specifically asked to have my usual "coffee Tour". This begins with a presentation of the history of the farm, how and why we came to Hawaii and decided on coffee. Any guest who reads our website information is clear about that we are a prize -winning organic coffee farm, a working business. Ten minutes into the presentation the young couple came out and sat down at their table at the far end of the lanai. I spoke to the other guests turned to them and not the complaining party. After a few minutes, the young man asked ("I don't mean to offend, but...") if we could all be silent so that they could enjoy the view. The other guests did not "politely decline to converse further" but were clearly stunned by their assertion, and taken aback by these young students, wanting to push their behavior on everyone else. I got up and spoke to them SOFTLY, so that nobody else would hear, and mentioned places on the farm ideal for meditation, and that lively conversations among all participants is quite normal. Their reaction was quite sour. So, we all got up and left the lanai to continue the tour. This complaint borders on insulting, such as that the young student feels it necessary to "doubt that Marsha would be back with her credit card"....what? "no bath tubs": oh my, we have walk-in showers. If you want a tub, make sure your Inn has them. Please do not make up false things: we NEVER serve breakfast at 7. Coffee is ready at 7:15 in the activity room, and we serve our hot breakfast between 7:30 and 8 on our ocean view lanai. Our bathrooms are cleaned daily, and "someone else s hair" in the shower is not believable. Yes, Marsha was trying, as we always are, to accommodate special diets, and since yours was a "first" for us, she tried her very best to please you. Their complaint is so long and detailed (much of it unjustified, or even quite incorrect) that it belies their super-short stay.

Been to Mango Sunset BnB at Lyman Farms? Share your experiences!