“Aged hotel, rough around edges; rowdy & noisy maids; maid hairs in bathroom, Dirty stained towels” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn St. Paul/Oakdale

Book now and save 25%
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Oakdale
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Sadly, this may be the best choice in the Woodbury area, other then the Sheraton.
It is an average Hilton Garden Inn but showing it's age in some areas. Scuff or dirt marks on the walls; craked bathroom tiles; maid hairs on bathroom floor and in tub - there not mine as I have no hair!
The towels need replacing, as all of them seem to be worn thin, or have a noticeable dirt stains on them. Gross!
Rambunctious, rowdy, noisy maids yell down the hallway to each other and are heard banging things around. I worked all night and tried to sleep during the day to no avail. Maids heard yelling at each other in the hallway. I appreciate their spirit but come on - there are guests that deserve some quiet time while in their rooms.
Breakfast is decent but you'll pay $10 for it.
If maintenance and house-keeping got their *&$# together and took their job seriously, this could be a top notch hotel. But - it is not. Sad.

Room Tip: Not worth letting house keeping into your room during the week. Who knows what standards of sanitiz...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
anthonyleitz, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn St. Paul/Oakdale, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
I am so sorry you experienced noise issues during your stay. We work diligently with our staff to ensure that our guests’ receive as much peace and comfort as possible. Our housekeeping staff will be addressed by management regarding not only the towels but the noise as well. This will prevent future guests from going through the same experience that you did. We regret that this made your stay unpleasant and we hope you will give us another shot the next time you are in the area. We are eager to make your stay with us the best hotel experience you’ve ever had.

We are in the process of replacing all towels in the hotel currently and are almost complete with this project. We also will be starting some renovations at the hotel later this summer as we hope to become your #1 choice in the area.

157 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Woodbury
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I have been staying at this hotel for many years as it is recommended for business travel by our corporation. I have always been very satisfied with the accomodations, the appearance of the facility and especially the staff.

This time, however, I was very disappointed in the room. The grout between the tiles in the bathroom were cracked and missing. (room 204) I reported this to the guy at the front desk in the morning as I was getting ready to check out. He did express some concern but did not seem to really understand the problem. The condition was bad enough that I suggested that they not rent the room again until it was resolved. For the price I paid there are several other hotels in the vicinity that are newer and in better condition.

The breakfast has always been wonderful. This time, the dishes in the warming containers were cold. I had cold scrambled eggs and cold bacon. I told a co-worker to get a special order egg to insure it would be hot. The fruit was great, there is a good variety of pastries, breads,etc. The woman who waits tables and clears has been working there for quite a while and is wonderful. I told her about the bathroom and she was much more interested and concerned then the front desk clerk. I felt like she would definitely make sure that the information got to the maintainance staff for correction.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
anthonyleitz, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn St. Paul/Oakdale, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I understand that you encountered an opportunity with the condition of your bathroom. I sincerely apologize for this. This is one of the areas that we are very vigilant in to ensure comfort and satisfaction for our guests. I'm so sorry that we were unable to meet expectations but based upon your comments you gave to the front desk the room was actually put out of order immediately and given to our maintenance department to fix right away. I only wish our front desk associate had shown you their concern better because he did make sure to make me aware of the issue immediately when I arrived.

I want to thank you for your loyalty, I truly appreciate the fact that you constantly stay at our property. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the St. Paul/Oakdale area you will consider staying with us again. Thank you again; I appreciate your honest feedback.

Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Just a short trip to visit friends & go to Mall of America - we are so glad we chose this hotel! The location is great. Far enough from the hectic crowded Mall of America & airport, but still just a quick easy drive away from all the action. Lots of shops & restaurants right out the front door. Hotel is very clean, kept up very well, pool area is great (and open till midnight). I was so impressed with the breakfast. I was expecting your usual continental breakfast that most hotels offer, but the "made-to-order" option was fantastic! Even when we were the only ones in the breakfast area, we were waited on by friendly staff & a cook was standing by to cook fresh omlets, pancakes, bacon, hash browns, etc. It was great. I hope this never changes. The staff was friendly & helpful, but I have to give a special mention to the young man who checked us in Friday night - Ryan. It was late, but he was friendly & kind without being overly obnoxious. He was patient & helpful when I asked for directions & activity options. He worked again on Sunday (I believe) and again was kind, courteous, & professional. We will be coming back to this area many times & I won't even look to stay anywhere else. One other mention - the little things made a huge difference to my kids & myself - the breakfast, the great work-out area, free coffee, cookies & tea out every night, the free computer & printing use, free newspapers every morning. Great!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for all the kind words about the hotel and more specifically the staff! They love seeing comments and feedback like this because it really enforces what they are doing is noticed by our guests!

We all certainly hope to see you again in the near future!

Edmond, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This wasn't where I wanted to stay, but it was convenient to my customer. You see, I'm Platinum with Marriott, so I had my reservations (no pun intended) about staying at a Hilton property this week. After just one night I can tell you that If every Hilton property is like this HGI, then JW Marriott had better be shaking in their collective boots.

First impressions are very important, so it was with great pleasure that I found automatic sliding doors upon entering the property. And we're not talking some half-hearted attempt here -- these doors open wide enough to accommodate good sized groups of people passing each other as they enter and exit. With a computer roller case and my rolling clothes bag in tow, it was exceptionally nice not to face hand-to-hand combat with pull-to-open doors getting to the front desk.

I rarely check hotel internet speed since I started carrying my own Verizon 4G LTE MiFi, but seeing a wired connection available, I decided to check it out. Boy, am I glad I did! How does internet download speed in the 90's (nineties) grab you? I'm not kidding. Multiple tests on multiple days resulted in download speeds consistently above 90 Mb/s with uploads in the teens. INCREDIBLE!!! I had a nice chat with the Director of Sales and thanked him for his attention to this matter. He was very gracious and clearly understood what it takes to attract business travelers and retain their loyalty.

Mileage varies greatly with "free" breakfast at hotels. Again, this HGI has surprised me. Their breakfast is delicious! Serve yourself or cooked to order, it's all good. In my years of travel, I've never had better scrambled eggs or bacon than here.

My room on the 2nd floor is exceptionally spacious and clean. The bed provided the best night's sleep I've had in a long time. Television power-up lands on an electronic program guide rather than some idiotic internal advertisement channel. The bathroom has centralized exhaust (no fan noise) and a curved shower rod that's actually properly installed and maintained. The desk area has power and LAN conveniently located at desktop level. The staff are wonderfully helpful and polite. Everything I find here is top shelf quality.

If business or pleasure brings you anywhere near the twin cities, I highly recommend staying at this Hilton Garden Inn. You'll be glad you did!

Room Tip: I don't know if all rooms are like this, but 213 is very spacious and has a refrigerator and mic...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Your comments about our hotel could not be kinder! I know we spoke at the hotel while you were staying with us and I just wanted to thank you again for all of the wonderful things you had to say about our hotel.

We showed your comments to the staff at the hotel and we all agreed you could be the new spokesperson for the Hilton Garden Inn in Oakdale!

Thanks again and we hope to see you soon.

Moorhead, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

A group of girlfriends and I stayed here over Mother's Day weekend. Very nice and clean hotel. Rooms were standard, with Sleep Number beds. Didn't care for these beds so much cause 1 side would be sunken in no matter how firm you set it. Free wifi available! Close in interstate access and in a newer development area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Garden for a week long training seminar. The rooms are very clean abd the sleep number bed was comfortable. They have a fantastic breakfast with a buffet and a la carte. They are located very close to several restaurants within 1/2 mile radius. There is a very small pool on the property and a fitness center with just treadmills. However there is a YMCA 5 minutes away that closes at 10pm. They charge $10. Just show your hotel card and I.D. This hotel is very nice and i would stay here again. Also they have laundry facilities on the property. $1 dollar wash and $1 dollar dry. I hope this helps.

Room Tip: In recommend staying on the 4th floor which is the top floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Very clean, great food, great staff, easy parking, lots of restaurants around. Bed was comfortable, room was clean, smelled great. I have nothing negative to say about this place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn St. Paul/Oakdale? Share your experiences!