“I like George” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“I like George”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

The food was good and George was very visible to the patrons. I had a nice conversation with him and he shared his background in the food service industry with me. He provided a personal touch to my meal and if this is his practice (which other reviewers say is so) he will continue to be a successful restaurateur and a great addition to New Ulm, Thank you George for taking the time to visit with me.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Exceptional menu!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

George's Steakhouse in New Ulm should be rated #1 in my opinion. Actually everything has been delicious from appetizers (seafood & steak shooters) to prime rib/ steaks/ a delicious Italian stuffed tenderloin. Everything fresh plus exceptional for the $$. Highly recommended! We relocated & this is one place we truly miss!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Evanston, Illinois
“Good venue for business dinner outing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We are in New Ulm, MN on business. We were greeted by the owner and escorted us upstairs which became our own private party. Even though we were a big group, the service was quick and friendly. The appetizers were warm and tasty. The dinner entrees were cooked to perfection. Some of us shared desserts. Overall, we enjoyed our dining experience.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great Entree”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

My husband and I dined here on Saturday night. The upstairs restaurant was closed for a private party. We were greeted promptly and invited to sit at the bar while waiting for a table. I didn't realize at the time that our bartender was the owner George. He was very friendly and helpful.

We were seated at a booth after only a short wait. We were given a bread basket with biscuits and they were light and fluffy - very good. My husband had the Canadian Lobster Tail for $26, which is a good price. I had the catch of the day, Mahi-Mahi. It was excellent. I've had Mahi-Mahi many times, but it has never been this good. The portion was so large that I could not finish it. It was cooked on the grill and had a wonderful flavor. It was $19. Entrees come with vegetables and a choice of soup or salad, and potato. The baked potato was good, the salad was just okay.

I noticed that the owner George was helping in the kitchen, at the bar, and was also getting additional items needed from the back room. He was really involved in all aspects of the restaurant. My fish was so good that I went to him personally to tell him and he pointed to the cook. I asked the cook how he cooked the fish, and he said he just put a bit of oil on it, added spices and grilled it. It was truly wonderful and I wished the next day that I could have had it again, but we were no longer in New Ulm.

I would not hesitate to eat here again.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Food is good; having George there is great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Upon arrival, we were immediately struck by the fact that George was waiting for us when we walked in and seated us (we had a reservation). That is just awesome. One person in our party had a drink that wasn't mixed right, and George himself brought he new one over and made sure that the new one was good.

The food was good, we did not have the steak, which we regret, but we will have that when we come back next time. I had the 1/2 rack of ribs, which were ok. My wife had the burger, which she didn't care for as it was pretty overcooked. She asked for it well done, but yikes was it ever. Her baked potato was good, though. The other couple had salmon with rice, which they said tasted amazing.

The atmosphere is really neat. It's tight quarters downstairs, but that is not a negative. People would stand up and announce a birthday and the entire restaurant would sing. Really neat.

All in all, we would recommend George's and will return again, but likely try some different menu items.

• Visited January 2014