“Had a wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 New Ulm B&B and Inns
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Had a wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

When Gary and Ramona asked if I could suggest any improvements to their B&B experience, I responded that I could not think of any suggestion for improvement, but I could think of a long list of positives:

* The breakfasts were spectacular. The very last item, the double chocolate desert on Tuesday morning, was very much in line with my personal opinion as to what is terrific. Wow!
* Restaurants sometimes serve food in dirty dishes, I suppose a side effect of low-paid workers and washing a large number of dishes in a mechanical dishwasher. At one of our suppers on our vacation, I picked dried food off a "clean" plate in a restaurant - not at all an uncommon occurrence. Restaurant tables are often wet, or worse, sticky. Everything having to do with food in your B&B was absolutely spotless. I do dishes at home, and it is clear to me that all of the crystal glassware was washed by hand. I know that maintaining such a high level of cleanliness is effortful, but it is appreciated!
* We never discussed this with Gary and Ramona, but I am glad that I never once saw or heard a TV anywhere in the residence.
* I did make use of the wireless Internet connection - thanks for that. Wireless connectivity for guests is common, but not yet universal. Today I was waiting to meet a friend at a restaurant, and the restaurant did not have wireless - I could not check on a New Ulm reference while waiting.
* You were friendly to talk to - both of you had interesting things to say - yet you were never intrusive.
* I think that things break, that is a fact of life. So, I am not concerned that there was a problem with the shower on the first night. However, you did fix it promptly when I told you about the problem, and that is all that matters to me. So, the problem-shower incident was a "plus" in my mind.
* I am very partial to Mozart, so having a CD player and a Mozart CD in my room was a plus. The music I heard around the house was a plus. I imagine that this is a tricky subject for you - some people are annoyed to hear anything but Country Western I know. Your music hit the mark for me.
* I liked that we could walk to dozens of interesting stores and buildings ... and that was with many of them not opening for the season until 1 May! Everyone we met in New Ulm, on the street, in stores, in public buildings, was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
loreneNewUlm, Owner at Deutsche Strasse Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your thoughtful, detailed and complimentary review of your stay at the Deutsche Strasse B&B. Our goal is to provide a getaway for our guests from the stresses of everyday life. Our small town of New Ulm is a true gem and does not exhibit the hustle and bustle of the big city. Good food and music work well to relax our guests and we are glad that you enjoyed and appreciated both. The Wi-Fi has been provided for those who do have the need to stay connected; but at each guest's discretion. We truly enjoyed having you both as our guests and we hope that you will return for more relaxation and rejuvenation.

Ramona and Gary
Your Hospitable Innkeepers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We had been on the road for two week, staying at chain hotels, but my wife likes B&Bs, so stayed here. The breakfast was excellent. Ramona and Gary are great inn keepers. We enjoyed sitting around the table talking with the other guests before we realized we had been sitting for over two hours! Time flies when your having fun. The room we had was a little small, but the bathroom was large. Defiantely enjoyed the stay is a cozy, older home.

Room Tip: Be sure to talk to the innkeeper. A personal experience is always a plus.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
loreneNewUlm, Owners at Deutsche Strasse Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Hi Steven,

Thanks for sharing your experience. We're so glad you and your wife enjoyed staying with us! We appreciate your compliments about breakfast. That's great feedback. You're right, it's a lot of fun to socialize with the other guests around the breakfast table. We appreciate your recommendation. We'd love to welcome you back the next time you're in the area.

Take care,
Mpls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Ramona was the perfect hostess she was very friendly and there was all sorts of teas to choses
from and wine and coffee at checkin. The breakfast four courses and all very delicious.
New Ulm has a lot of old and fancy homes. Check there web site. Ole Johnson

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
loreneNewUlm, Owners at Deutsche Strasse Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
OleMpls,

Thank you for a wonderful review. We're happy you appreciated the beverages we had available at check-in! We are also glad you loved breakfast. That's great feedback for us. We would love to welcome you back again!

Take care,
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We decided to do a cross-country, actually a ¾ across of the country (and back again) drive for our honeymoon. The whole process took about 3 weeks and 7,000 miles. During our trip, we stayed at 4 star hotels and B&B’s and at campgrounds, camping in our car for several nights. This was one of earlier stops and we’d been looking forward staying here, since booking this several months earlier. Being from a more expensive part of the country, we couldn’t believe that we could get so much for such a reasonable price. We chose the Black Forest Suite, which did not disappoint! Our bedroom was a bit small, but the HUGE whirlpool tub that was so big it got its own room, more than made up for that! The tub room had beautiful murals on the wall and lovely curtains. We also had our own full bathroom, which was nice, but nothing special, especially when compared with the whirlpool. We arrived late (a theme at many of our stops because of some very long drives from one place to another), and the owners were incredibly accommodating. We walked into the living room, which featured a beautiful piano in the corner (unfortunately neither of us play), and soft music playing. We were offered complementary glasses of wine as we sat downstairs and unwound from our long drive. Honestly, I think the best part of our stay was the food and conversation the next morning! We chatted with the owners and shared stories, while munching on the best breakfast of our entire trip! They’ve been running a bed and breakfast for 15 years and have some wonderful memories and experiences. The town was also lovely (small and cute and very German). The local businesses were preparing for Oktoberfest as we were leaving. We are certainly hoping to return here for a long weekend to enjoy a bit more of the town while staying at this lovely bed and breakfast.

Room Tip: The black forest suite was lovely for our honeymoon but several others looked great too. I think the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Burger Couple,

We're happy to read your review and glad you enjoyed your stay with us! The Black Forest Suite was a great choice. The whirlpool tub feels like luxury and we fondly refer to it as the Cadillac of hot tubs. We understand you can't always control timing on a long cross-country trip and your time of arrival was no problem. Your telephone call advising us of your progress was greatly appreciated. Breakfast is an important meal and we really appreciate that you enjoyed it. Hopefully, when you use the Deutsche Strasse coffee mugs you purchased you dream of being back at our breakfast table enjoying our signature blend coffee. We would love to welcome you back again.

Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary with a trip to New Ulm and the Deutsche Strasse B&B. This was our first ever trip to any B&B. We are not quite sure why we waited so long after our wonderful stay at the Deutsche Strasse. The house is a beautiful home. The wine and nibbles in the evening was a pleasant surprise as we were preparing to leave for dinner out. The morning breakfast was a delicious homemade delight and their coffee is the best! The hosts Gary and Ramona are geninuely nice people and it makes for a very pleasant stay. They made our stay very comfortable and relaxing.

Room Tip: We were in the Castle Room, nice sitting area and windows on three sides.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
loreneNewUlm, Owners at Deutsche Strasse Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Hi beedeejoe,

Thanks for sharing your experience. We love celebrating special occasions with our guests! We're happy you enjoyed a comfortable and relaxing stay. That is exactly what we want to provide. We appreciate all your compliments and your recommendation. Happy 31st anniversary!

Scandia, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The best thing about Deutsche Strasse is Ramona and Gary, who are superb hosts. The 1884 home in this historic town is on a street across from the railroad tracks and industrial sites which are visible from the Ivy Room, where we stayed, but not disturbingly so. The breakfasts were among the best that I have ever had at a B&B. The atmosphere was old world but comfortable, and the tree-lined street across from the park made me nostalgic for a neighborhood in which I grew up.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
loreneNewUlm, Owners at Deutsche Strasse Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Hi Cedarcliff,

Thank you for such a kind review. We're happy to see you enjoyed your visit. We really appreciate your compliments about your breakfast! A comfortable, old world atmosphere is what we strive to provide. We would love to welcome you back the next time you're in town.

Gary & Ramona Sonnenberg, Owners
Pace, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I brought my parents to New Ulm to have a German feel and stayed at the Deutsche Strasse B&B. Had a great time, great rooms and a great breakfast. Gary and Ramona were very nice and a pleasure to stay with.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
loreneNewUlm, Owners at Deutsche Strasse Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Hi Eric

Thanks for sharing your experience. We're glad you and your wife brought your parents here! It's great to see everyone had a wonderful time. We appreciate your compliments and your recommendation. We'd love to welcome you back again in the future.

Best,
Gary & Ramona Sonnenberg, Owners

Been to Deutsche Strasse Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!