“Nice, As Usual.” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Fargo, ND
“Nice, As Usual.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

My stays here are always relaxing. There's a fridge and a microwave in my room, the exercise room is adequately equipped, and there's a nice happy hour in the evening. MY only complaint of this hotel and so many others is that housekeeping never gets the bathtub completely clean. I like to relax and take baths before bedtime and I almost always have to clean the bathtub when I first get into a hotel room. Next time you're at a hotel, take your hand and glide it over the inside of the tub side closest to you. Then take your hand and glide it over the side that's facing you. There's usually a big difference in cleanliness.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Thunder Bay
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

While the hotel looks beautiful, I can honestly say that I haven't stayed in a hotel that has such horrible sound problems in a very long time! It wasn't even that people were being abnormally loud (except for the room full of kids the second night, fighting with each other, but the problem had already presented itself). We were really shocked that we could hear every conversation, TV program and little noise of our neighbours - hallway sounds were obviously much worse. I'm sure the people above us were simply walking back and forth normally but it really sounded like colossal pounding.

I thought the sound would carry up early morning from the breakfast area we overlooked to our room in the morning, but much to our relief, it didn't.

I have never, ever complained about noise in a hotel before and I always try to stay at Holiday Inns as a Priority Club member (although they didn't recognize this when I checked in as I'm used to) but I had to call the front desk during our second night - it was really too much. Unfortunately, they did not have ear plugs to give out or sell and nothing was really done to make things better.

On a positive note, the front desk staff was quick and helpful, also apologetic about the noise, the pool & hot tub were nice and relaxing, and, although I'm not able to eat much on the breakfast menu due to food sensitivities, it was well-stocked, hot and easy to navigate. The lady running the area was super friendly and helpful.

Our room was nice - a little more could have been done to make it cleaner (there were gross smudges on our bathroom light switch - obviously something that was consistently overlooked) and the beds weren't as comfortable as other Holiday Inns we've stayed in - but the set up was useful with the fridge, little table and chairs, and sofa. The shower was also nice with good water pressure. We made use of the 24 hr coffee and the location was good for our purposes.

Unfortunately due to the problems with the noise, I don't see myself staying here again. I think I'll look elsewhere and I recommend that anyone who does stay here bring a set of earplugs to make their stay more pleasant than mine.

Green Features: Holiday Inns are always among the top on my list for their environmentally-friendly practices.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Mountain Iron, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear stardust1971,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. I'm glad to hear you found our front desk staff agent to be efficient and helpful. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. However, I would like to apologize for any disturbance you have experienced during your stay. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to ensure guest's satisfaction. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

--Nice, comfortable room.
--Good staff.
--Located close to area restaurants.
--We stayed here since they were no hotels close to Duluth for Grandma's marathon. It was NOT a good substitute as it was over an hour away!
--Externally, it looked like a lodge. Prett cool.

• Stayed June 2013
Pittsburg, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Nice Hotel. This is a relatively new property. Hotel staff was nice, check in was quick. Room was very clean with a minifridge (no freezer section) so that we could keep stuff cool. Room also has a Microwave. Bed is comfortable with a nice selection of soft and firm pillows (which are labeled). Towels are clean and just the size that you need at a holiday inn. Free breakfast is nice, with the standard free breakfast fare, even a to go bag if you are in a hurry. Parking lot has extra plug ins if you need to keep vehicle heater plugged in.
Plenty of plug ins in the rooms also, and the free wifi seemed to work fine (not blistering fast but not slow either)....A little high price for a holiday inn, but this is by far one of the nicest properties in the area...
Walls are a little thin, as the contractor for the hotel must not have put any insulation between the rooms, but I usually use a sound machine....but I could clearly hear the TV in the next room all nite long....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Apple Valley, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This place is new and very, very clean! We had a great stay. Quick and friendly check in and out. Comfortable beds, no gross bedspreads like so many hotels. Really nice granite stone in bathroom! Nice mini fridge in room. The continental breakfast was nice. Stay here. It is worth the extra money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Whenever I come to the Iron Range for work, I love to stay here! The location is fairly new and is located in a quiet area on the outskirts of town. The beds are very comfortable! They have a great managers reception and the hotel is very nice and clean! I really appreciated the friendly and accomodating the staff. Pool wasn't bad, but the hot tub had a lot of chlorine like most hotels. The only downside: There is a Perkins nearby for food, but if you'd like a bar/grill you'll have to go into town (a short drive).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mahtomedi, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here for a wedding. I accidentally requested the room on-line for the night prior. I actually called in to see if I could get the wedding rate, and discovered the glitch. The person made the switch and applied the discount in a very quick phone call. Our room was very clean. We had 2 double beds, basically a standard hotel room. There was a mini fridge which is nice. The continental breakfast is nice too, and includes lots of hot items. I had eggs, sausage and a cinnamon roll. Everyone was very friendly and nice. We'll definitely be staying there again. One of the nicest hotels in the Virginia area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Suites Mountain Iron? Share your experiences!