“Many good things about this place” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Moorhead, Minnesota
“Many good things about this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

First, the dining room location is pretty fantastic with a view of the river. There is also the bar area and in the summer the outdoor space. The menu is a combination of casual bar, burger/sandwich, modified English pub and fine dining. There is something for everyone and the prices are varied and affordable and appropriate for each of these genre. That alone is a nice plus. This is not a gastronomic place but the chef does try to inject interesting nuances like specialty sauces, truffle here and Siracha there. There is good fish and venison. Lamb is used for the shepherd pie and Nueske bacon in a few places. Dining is about an overall total experience and on that basis, I gave it a "four star". They also do corkage for brought in wine, a real plus if you have something special you would like to bring. Call ahead to make sure.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
Minnesota
“Do not bring a group.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I just wanted to write about an upsetting dining experience. We came there for a birthday party consisting of 10 adults and 5 children. I felt the server could have use a few more years experience before working at this establishment. She was inexperienced, did not make eye contact, did not smile or know how to work a crowd. This could be over looked because the food was really good.

Then at the end of the meal we find out that the cake we brought in and had on the table the entire time would not be able to be served unless we paid a "cake fee". I have managed a restaurant with these policies, but hardly actually charged people. There were 5 kids at the table excited and drooling over this cake the whole time and got their hopes completely shot down. We now missed out on more family time and probably at least $15 in coffee and desert drink orders. If such policy exists, it would have been nice to tell us right away so that we may choose a different restaurant or make other plans. I have only seen a "cake fee" in very high end restaurants and this is definitely not one.

• Visited June 2012
Fargo, nd
“Unique and fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

It's hard to find a place with unique dishes around here and I love going to Usher's to see what they're going to do next. I've loved everything I've tried and enjoy hanging out on the patio, listening to music during the summertime. As far as I'm concerned, it's a gem in the middle of the chain-restaurant hell that is Fargo-Moorhead.

• Visited May 2012
Morden, Canada
“Usher's Helps Close the Deal.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

My Sales Manager and I invited two young execs from a local start up we are looking to do business with to join us for dinner. Could they recommend a location? They suggested we meet at Usher's House.

Casual dress, warm atmonosphere, great views and sofisticated food! I was impressed by everything the place had to offer.Taking us there said a lot about the new company and the young guys running it. Needless to say we picked up a very reasonble bill for four. Next time here, I have to bring my wife.

• Visited March 2012
Fargo, North Dakota
“Wonderful food and atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Great views of river and nice presentations of delicious food!