“A good choice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Minnetonka
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“A good choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Room was clean and everything in good working order. Bed was comfy, but not supportive. Had a back ache both mornings. Friendly staff. Property seems neat and clean, and well cared for. Breakfast area is a bit small. Not a spectacular hotel, but a good solid choice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HIEXMSPMK, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis-Minnetonka, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your stay here at the Holiday Inn Express of Minnetonka. I have shared your comments with the entire staff and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Stayed in mid-June 2012 during a business trip. The reno for the hotel was underway - perhaps I am naive but I would expect some sort of apology on check-in for the inconveniences we could expect and perhaps a daily construction update. .
The first inconvenience we noticed were the crews and man-lifts in the the front parking lot so we had to park in an adjacent lot - actually when we arrived in the late afternoon, we weren't even sure if they were open for business because there were no cars in the parking lot.. Returning at the end of every business day, my window and AC were covered with plastic (due to painting), which was removed upon returning from dinner - I guess I'm glad I didn't want to get any sleep during the day. Next was the television reception. It went out several times during storms, but during sunny/calm periods all but the local channels would break up regularly making viewing impossible. Next was the internet access. I'm in IT and it's essential to have connectivity to keep up with activities back at the shop. On the first night the internet didn't work at all. During the remainder of the say it was Sloooooooow (I'm talking sub-g speeds). The breakfast area is wall-to-wall in the morning - it needs to be expanded. Most of the staff were polite except one fellow who responded with "What's the problem???" in a not so helpful manner when my cohort commented jokingly on the plastic over the entrance that evening. Lastly I must concur on the common thread regarding this hotel - the pillows... Yes, they are truly awful! The only positive was there were no disruptions at night except the storms (out of the hotel's control). I'll probably think twice before staying at this location again.

Room Tip: Perhaps a call to be sure any renovations are completed.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Moorpark, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Toss-up between three and four stars.

Perfectly average Holiday Inn Express - seen better, seen worse. It's easily reached off 494 and convenient if you need to be in the Eden Prairie area. It doesn't have a restaurant, but Caribou Coffee and Einstein Brothers share the parking lot and both a full-service restaurant and a sandwich shop are across the street (which is partly why it got four stars instead of three.) As of this writing (mid-June 2012) there is construction in front, but it's only a problem if you have mobility issues with rough pavement. There's plenty of parking. It's about a 20 minute drive to the airport without traffic, but closer to an hour at 5pm.

Rooms have microwaves and refrigerators. The coffeemaker brews a small pot of coffee, rather than the individual cups. I also found some paper utensils in the cupboard - a very useful little addition. Bathrooms have a good amount of counter space and amenities include soap, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. I was lucky enough to have a whirlpool room, which had a big whirlpool tub in the living area - as a solo traveler I liked that better than having it in the bathroom.

The workspace is good, with good lighting, convenient plugs and good wireless Internet access. Probably the best part of the room was the air conditioning. For some reason it's rare that hotel rooms actually reach the temperature you set on the thermostat. This one managed to do so whether I turned it up or down, and without a freight train's worth of noise.

Computers in the business center are slow, but plenty to get your boarding pass. The fitness center has a weight machine, two treadmills, and an elliptical, all well-worn but serviceable.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
HIEXMSPMK, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis-Minnetonka, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We review all comments with the entire staff and look for ways to improve the guest experience. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express of Minnetonka for your stay and we look forward to your next visit here.
Vail, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

For those of you who travel for business, this hotel is in a great location, accessible to all highway systems. They do offer a nice complimentary breakfast, however, stay clear of what they call their cheese omelette ... rubbery and didn't taste like eggs at all. I did check Trip Advisor prior to booking this hotel and wish that there was more honest feedback. I travel quite frequently and tend to stay at four star properties, however, this location was central to the many cities/towns that I needed to travel to during the course of the week, so I thought "how bad can it be?" While the rooms were in good shape, they are in diar need of new pillows and towels. The pillow were dissintegrating within themselves, so they don't even have a pillow form to them. The towles were shredding and I actually had a towel in my room that had someone else's blood on it, which I didn't notice until I was wiping my face with it ... GROSS!!!! The trash bin in the parking lot was emptied at 5A on one of the four nights I stayed and again at 7A two days later. Very loud, with clanking bottles, which woke up the guest above me. I was on the 2nd floor and the guest above sounded like a 300 lb. elephant was stomping above me for at least two hours before they left their room. So be sure to request a room on the fourth floor if you want to avoid the noise. The fitness facility is adequate for this type of property. The pool/jacuzzi facilities were nice, although there was dirt/sand in the bottom of the jacuzzi. Upon departure, I neede to print my boarding passes in the business center. One of the two computers didn't work. The Front Desk did not have adequate Federal Express supplies, which are provided for free from Fed Ex. So I have to carry my box with me on the plane, along with my luggage and briefcase. It was a little tricky getting through the airport from the rental car facility with the extra large box. Bonus for this trip was that Jimmy's Restaurant was right next door. I would highly recommend for dinner! TV channel selections are great! Overall, I would rate this hotel as just Average.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis-Minnetonka, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Kim B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor. I appreciate you mentioned our convenient location and recommend it for business travellers. We are very sorry to hear about the unsatisfactory circumstance you had regarding breakfast, room amenities and noise from other guests. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Once again thank you for your review.

Zelyn N.
Case Manager
IHG Care
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Stayed from a Thursday through Sunday night in early June 2012. Outside renovation going on, but only during the day...no problem with noise. Staff at the front desk is very helpful and will assist you in finding anything. Service staff was very friendly, also.

Typical HIE breakfast, but with the added bonus of granola. Caribou just across the parking lot is convenient. And across the main street is an excellent restaurant called Jimmy's.

The hotel is convenient to anything on the west side of Minneapolis. Easy drive to and from the airport on 62.

Quirky pricing. The hotel was very empty on Thursday night and the room was $142. Over the weekend the pricing was at or under $100 per night...and it was very busy. So pricing not based on load. Evidently just pricing through the week depending on business customers to pay the higher rate, even when they are not busy. Great value over the weekend, though!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
HIEXMSPMK, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis-Minnetonka, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I have shared your comments with the entire staff and they were very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express of Minnetonka and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Crystal Lake, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in June 2012. I reserved a two room suite, but when we checked in they did not have the room available for us. They basically shrugged their shoulders and said, "too bad". We have 3 kids and staying in a regular room with two beds was annoying, particularly because we booked this hotel primarily on the availability of the two room suite and the reasonable price. When we checked out a day early, they did not even ask if there was a reason we were leaving early or if there was anything they could do to improve the stay. I was disappointed with their service.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis-Minnetonka, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Andrea P,

Thank you for taking time to post a review of our property and staying with us. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on Sunday, June 3, 2012. There was some renovating going on, but there were no noise problem. We saw it as we were in the parking lot, but that was the extent of its effect on us. The Check-in on Sunday went well with the woman at the desk very helpful and friendly. No problems with the room. We had a request of the overnight desk person and he was very helpful. Our party of five used the pool and had breakfast. Our only problem was that they had no cinnamon rolls and were getting them from another Holiday Inn Express. We waited for 15 minutes or so and then left having the other breakfast options, but no rolls. Not a perfect stay, but solid accommodations and helpful staff. We would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis-Minnetonka? Share your experiences!