“Not what it used to be....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Ivy

You added Hotel Ivy to your Saves list
Hotel Ivy
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 South Eleventh Street, Minneapolis, MN 55403 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Minneapolis, MN
“Not what it used to be....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stay at the Ivy every December for a weekend away. Over the past three years, the Ivy has really gone downhill on many levels. This year, we were "upgraded" to a suite on the 18th floor. As far as we could tell, the only difference between this "suite" and every other room we've stayed in was it's location on the 18th floor. The room size and layout were the same as any other room. This year we were particularly disappointed in a few things. First, the carpet in this particular room was old and worn and had large bulges in it throughout the room - careful you don't trip! Also, the past year the Hotel Ivy got rid of their in room movie system. What your left with is two dozen crappy cable stations - and the TV and TV remote were horribly slow - it took ten seconds just for the TV to go from one channel to the next. I know that seems petty, but we like to sit around and watch a lot of TV and it was incredibly frustrating to do. They have also really let their room service food slide. The breakfast we ordered up to the room was not acceptable and left us both feeling ill. We mentioned these things when we checked out. They promptly apologized and then told us their computer systems were not working and they would be unable to give us a receipt and would not be able to email one either. If we wanted a receipt of some kind we would have to call back in the next couple days and they could mail us one. Ridiculous.

The Hotel Ivy is located in a good spot - close to the convention center and to a bunch of good restaurants - but they have really have let everything slide. It seems like a crappy hotel trying to be an upscale hotel. There are plenty of other options nearby - check them out - you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a "suite" or room on a high floor - we have stayed here enough to...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Homer Glen, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We enjoyed our stay at the Ivy Hotel. We were here over Thanksgiving. Too bad the spa was closed for the holiday as it looked fabulous! This is an SPG hotel which is great for us as we are platinum members. Our room was really lovely. Had high ceilings and fluffy beds. Bathroom had spacious countertops and was very clean. One minor issue was the really low water pressure in our shower on the 16th floor. Took some time to get the shampoo out of my long hair. Aside from that, we really liked it and plan to stay here again in the future. Very nice hotel staff from the front desk to housekeeping.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed here one night for anniversary weekend. Received great service at check in, got room on 8th floor. Found room to be very modern and nice. Spacious bathroom, with great shower. Very comfortable king sized bed with flat screen TV. Hotel is in great location, and walking distance to restaurants, we utilized the skyway to walk to restaurants on Hennepin Avenue. Utilized spa the next morning, and received great massage. Hotel has wonderful spa facility with spacious workout area (did not use), very large hot tub in co-ed area of spa (utilized). Would definitely stay again and would recommend.

Parking tip --> Valet parking can be expensive, but utilized Hilton ramp off 11th Street. You get underground parking for $13 on the weekend, and can utilize the skyway to get to the Ivy.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear rexlane,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel Ivy Minneapolis and thank you for your accolades as well! I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay and were able to use the Spa as well. I will be sure to share your comments with my entire team. I hope to see you again soon.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I have been repeat customers of this exquisite hotel!!! Every luxurious detail had been thought of so you can completely check out of the chaos of every day life and completely relax in this amazing hotel! You can find incredible room rates if you watch for them. The rooms are elegant with very comfortable beds! The showers in the rooms are great with the accompaniment of thick and cozy robes! I would strongly recommend enjoying the Ivy Spa! It's nothing short of incredible! From manicures and pedicures to excellent full body massages and facials. We have enjoyed many different types of amenities that this spa has to offer! The hot tub is great-located in the Ivy Spa are and avail. to all guests. I would recommend the spa showers and steam rooms! Ticket to full relaxation! You can also enjoy delicious breakfast and or supper at the in-hotel restaurant and bar, Porter and Frye. The hotel location is very convenient for downtown entertainment access. It's our secret-but not-so-secret local gem that we will continue to enjoy as our in-town special oasis.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Canada7478,

Thank you for your recent, and past, stays at the Hotel Ivy Minneapolis! We truly appreciate you patronage. I am very happy that you enjoyed your guest room and the Spa as well. I will be sure to share your comments with my entire team.

Madison WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife suggested we book a nice hotel for a weekend getaway to MSP. Sure, I thought, it'll be a nice change from bargain-basement motel sixes and all that.

I got myself a deal on the Ivy and I was pretty glad I did.

Despite arriving at the peak of rush hour, the valets tended to our car with nearly ridiculous promptness, out checkin process was quick, and our room was spotless. The bathroom was enormous and well-appointed. The bed was comfy. And while tall, the hotel is fairly narrow so it's not a warren of selfsame rooms on every floor.

It's also affixed to the Minneapolis Skyway so it's pretty easy to navigate downtown without ever leaving the indoors. While, granted, we didn't spend a ton of time downtown, it was still nice to have access to nearby stuff without braving the Minneapolitan November.

We even ordered room service at one point (we'd had a large late lunch, and everything downtown was basically shuttered by the time we were hungry again). It was decent, and...well, it was expensive, but compared to room service elsewhere it wasn't awful. It was quick, too. It wasn't spectacular food, but...again, it's room service.

Nice place to stay. A bit spendy, but if you can get a deal, it's pretty great for a romantic weekend sort of thing.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear nulldevice,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel Ivy Minneapolis and thank you for your kind comments as well. I am very happy that you enjoyed your rooms and the hotel services. I will be sure to share your comments with my entire team!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2014

I had heard that Hotel Ivy boasts one of the best spas, well anywhere. I wasn't able to take advantage of the spa while there, but the rooms certainly felt like I was at a spa hotel. After a long flight and some frigid temperatures, the Ivy was an oasis with the plush room, incredible bathroom and cozy robe. The welcome cupcake was a nice touch as well! If I am back in Minneapolis for some reason, this will be the first place I look for reservations.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Andrew F, General Manager at Hotel Ivy, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much for your recent stay at the Hotel ivy Minneapolis and thank you for the accolades as well. I am happy that you enjoyed our rooms and hotel amenities. I hope to see you again in the very near future!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014 via mobile

Lobby is quiet, the best check-in I have ever experienced. We stayed on a Friday night. Use the valet for first class service. Parking was not easy for us. We paid $20 one block away. We also did zero research.

Turn down service without a request made our day, linens were perfect. Towels were soft, tub/shower perfect. Lots of nice touches. Make up mirror makes a great night light.

The room layout is new and is very private, feels like two rooms. We didn't use the mini fridge but might have. (Welcome management to contact me).

Room was clean, really clean. Carpet in our room needs stretching .

The personal touches will make me come back.

Stayed November 2014
Andrew F, General Manager at Hotel Ivy, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Bob M,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel Ivy Minneapolis and thank you for the accolades on our products and services as well! I will be sure to share your comments with my entire team and I hope to see you again soon. The carpet issue will be taken care of as we will undergo a complete renovation this winter.

Andrew Finsness

Been to Hotel Ivy? Share your experiences!