“not so sure about this one” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Ivy

You added Hotel Ivy to your Saves list
Hotel Ivy
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 South Eleventh Street, Minneapolis, MN 55403 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“not so sure about this one”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Local impressions of Hotel Ivy is that it is a luxury experience. Having traveled for some 20 years for business and about 10 times a year now for personal trips, I would give this praise for the feel of luxury, but very low marks for practicality. I was glad it was only a one night stay. The room is oddly divided by a wall holding the TV on one side and a stocked mini fridge and closet on the other -- not a drawer to be found if you wanted to put your suitcase aside rather that living out of it. Not bad for a night, but inconvenient for a longer stay. That wall made the room felt really small.
Great comfy bed though (with sheets that really didn't fit. We had to tuck the one inch of extra fabric back under the mattress repeatedly.) terrific pillows. quiet.
GREAT workout room (actually a health club, so a multitude of equipment options.)

Coffee machine -- one packet of sweetener/"whitener" (for a luxury hotel, how about real creamers...?)
One bathrobe -- two guests. A chaise lounge type chair -- nice. No where to really sit for a second person.
But the kicker may have been the wad of previously chewed gum on the bathroom counter. (and going with the theme above -- only one!)
All in all, we got a really good rate - comparable to everything around us and connected to the Convention Center. My advice would be to stay if you want a good workout room and can get a good rate. I will check other spots next trip.

Room Tip: if you are staying longer and don't mind living out of your suitcase, you will be fine. there a...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sean M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Ivy, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Greetings from the Hotel Ivy,

Thank you for taking time to let us know about your recent experience at our hotel. While I am very pleased to hear of your enjoyment of our beds and state of the art Fitness Center, I am sorry to hear that the room layout did not meet your expectations and that the cleanliness of the room could have used some improvement. Although at this time we do not have plans for any major room reconstruction you can rest assured that measures have been taken to ensure that our room cleanliness meets the highest of standards.

Thank you again for taking time to bring these concerns to my attention, I hope you give us an opportunity to show you what luxury really is sometime in the future.

Sean

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Blaine, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I was charged for 2 night stay and that was fine then I was charged another $120+ for a room service fee that I never ordered and then they say they are going to fix it and over 2weeks later still nothing is done. And no one is doing anything about it and wont call me back nor talk to me. Will NEVER be going back here.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sean M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Ivy, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We empathize and share your frustration with the length of time it takes for financial institutions to process a credit when utilizing a debit card. Please know that we did rectify the billing error immediately after we spoke with you and were made aware of the error. We appreciate your comments and would like to clarify any open issues with you. Please feel free to contact myself at Sean.Maguire@thehotelivy.com. Thank you. Sean
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I've stayed at the Hotel Ivy several times over the last four to five years. It is always a very pleasant stay. The staff are outstanding and we are always treated like a special guest. The rooms are always very comfortable. We love it when we are upgraded to a suite. The hotel is central to many features of the city. We walked in the skyway all day on Saturday visiting shops and restaurants around the city. We had dinner and breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel both of which were very good. I would say that the hotel is showing some wear. A couple of tables in our room were worn, dented and scratched, the bathroom floor had some pock marks in the tile and the shower needed a good scrubbing with some bleach. A luxury property should pay more attention to these details. Also, the last two times I was there my Keurig coffee was not restocked properly (no coffee the first time and DECAF the most recent time). The problem is that they charge for the coffee that is self-serve at the bar in the morning. Again, the details...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Greetings from the Hotel Ivy,

Thank you very much for taking time to review your stay with us, we truly appreciate the loyalty you have shown us over the past years. While I am sorry to hear that some of the fine details of your last visit were not met, we look forward to inspiring you with some new additions upon your next return.

Thank you again for your kind words of praise and areas of improvement, we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

I stayed here a few years ago before I wrote for tripadvisor. But I wanted to take a minute to confirm what most people are saying about this hotel: It is one of the very best. I stayed here during a convention, and I loved my room so much that I was looking forward to relaxing in my room every night. In addition to the high quality of all the furniture, I think that it is the layout of the rooms that make them feel so cozy. Plus, the deep tub in the bathroom is amazing. I wouldn't stay anywhere else if I returned to Minneapolis.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here during convention in June/ July. Central location near convention centre and downtown MInneapolis. The rooms are very high quality. The bedrooms are large and comfortable with huge bathrooms. The beds are extremely comfortable and black out curtains meant a good sleep. Towels extremely warm and comfortable. Plenty of wardrobe space. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. The convention centre is a five minute walk. The hotel is built around the Ivy Tower which is worth visit. The lobby is huge and comfortable to meet up with friends. Lots of good restaurants and breakfast places nearby. There is a shuttle bus service to and from the airport which is reasonably affordable.
The skyway walk between hotels and convention centre makes getting around pretty easy particularly if visiting in old season. I stayed on one of the lower floors but the room was still very quiet. I Would gladly stay here again if ever visiting again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

What a wonderful weekend! We wished we could have stayed longer. The staff are incredibly attentive. Very friendly and accommodating. Our room, while small, but it is the city, was immaculate. The sheets were so soft. The tub was huge, clean and wonderful. I loved relaxing in the lobby near the fireplace. Love the Ivy! We'll be back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

This luxury hotel is a wonderful weekend location for a trip to Minneapolis. it is centrally located and on the skyway system so it is easy to get around town without having to worry about winter weather. The lobby is large and well appointed. The staff was great and our room was large and quiet.
I was a bit surprised that a hotel in this space would charge for internet but that wasn't a big issue as we were out and about so much. We did think the rugs could have benefited from a shampoo and the wood desk furniture was a bit tired. Beds were very comfortable, with lots of pillows from which to chose and fantastic covers. The drapes had excellent noise and light protection. We looked out onto the downtown garage but it really didn't matter as we were not there for the view.
The hotel is built around the historic Ivy Tower built in the 1930's by architect Thomas Kimball and is now on the national registry of historic places. The first floor of that section is now the upscale Porter and Frye restaurant. It was a nice place to stop for a late night drink and the bartender was great. The hotel also offers a complete spa service and workout center. We would come back again.

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor at the end of the corridor and the room was very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Ivy? Share your experiences!