“Check in problems mar great stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Ivy

Save Saved
You added Hotel Ivy to your Saves list
Hotel Ivy
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 South Eleventh Street, Minneapolis, MN 55403 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #18 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Oakland, California
“Check in problems mar great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay at the Hotel Ivy, and it remains a lovely property with great features--a lovely bathroom (though the lights are in an awkward spot if you're tall--I'm 6-5, and had to maneuver around them to shave), very comfortable beds, and a terrific restaurant. Unfortunately, I arrived at 1pm for a recent stay, and my room wasn't ready. I was rather brusquely told that check-in is at 3. I spent a couple of hours working in the lobby, but my room still wasn't ready at 3:15.

While I continued to wait, the front desk clerk came to me, apologized, and offered me a drink and 500 starpoints. That was a nice gesture--but it would have been nicer had my room been ready before 3:45.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

251 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The massage therapist, manicurist and facial person were great. The facilities are pretty.
I went with my sister in law for her birthday, and it was a nice treat to spend some money on ourselves, but as a high end spa, I had a few problems with it. At the risk of sounding like a brat, I want to say the I have been to a few other spas, and at a spa, service is key, that's why you're there spending the money, to be pampered and treated like a queen, right?
As a high end spa in Mpls, my town, I would like to see them make a few much needed improvements.
When we first arrived, while we were waiting for our massage therapists, the waiting room was full and we had to stand against the wall. Not a good intro. There were no snacks by the water dispensers. They had green apples and pears, but they were fake ! Super bummer because we had ordered the full day spa package and after a couple hours we could have used a little something.
The pedicure area was a bit awkward, straight backed and a had very small foot tub area.
We really wanted to order a lovely glass of something bubbly as we had our nails done, but we would have had to get up, go get a credit card, and give it to them, which is really dumb since they already had our credit cards on file. We were knee deep in bubbles, so that wasn't going to happen. Bad planning on their part, and disappointment on ours. The products in the locker room were cheap and common, like someone ran to Walmart and grabbed some stuff. Nice products are essential. The combs and brushes were old and nasty, and the baskets labelled "used combs and brushes" were very frumpy. G-d is in the details. Overall, we had really great practitioners and a pretty relaxing day, but they need to up their game if we want to be a real contender with other cosmopolitan cities.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
TheHotelIvyGM, General Manager at Hotel Ivy, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear photomama4,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for your compliments of our service. We apologize that our facilities did not exceed your expectations. Your comments have been shared with our spa team. We hope that you will consider our address again the next time you travel to Minneapolis.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

What a wonderful way to spend a bit of your afternoon at the Ivy Spa Club at Hotel Ivy. It was my first visit with colleagues and the staff was so accommodating. Our services were wonderful and the spa staff were so nice. A great mani / pedi / spa lunch!!! The spa events manager, Beth Van Otterloo, is stellar and was so understanding when I reach out to her for assistance. I will be back and will always take colleagues here for a treat. Great place!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
TheHotelIvyGM, General Manager at Hotel Ivy, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Michelle B,

We would like to personally thank you for sharing positive feedback of your experience at The Hotel Ivy, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Minneapolis. You’re praises have been shared with our entire Spa staff and leadership and we extend our sincere appreciation for your business. We hope to welcome you again very soon to the Hotel Ivy, the Ivy Spa and Porter & Frye restaurant.

Best regards,

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

First time in that city the Ivy should not be part of the luxury collection because it is more a regular starwood property I was disappointed and I was expected something high end very luxury
The hotel completely need to be updated and modernized no feel of luxury anywhere more a good standard sheraton hotel
The room is big I was on top floor got upgraded big bathroom shower and bath but the carper has stain the furnitures looked old with marks and the wall as well and lights old fashionned to turn it off, it should be centralized controlled with a panel !!!

The carpet in the gym must be changed the atmosphere makes you dont want to traine

You pay internet if you are not in the executive floor not acceptable most hotels offer free wifi everywhere
Doors of the room making noise when you closed it I had that problem in other hotels but still annoying to be awake by other people on same floor

They forgot to do the turn down service and during the day after the cleaning I found a pillow case on my suitcase forgotten by cleaning people, cleaning seems lacking of seriousness
Spa is well equiped but not looking good old
Staff very nice and efficient I had problem getting in room because of the battery of the door Manager apologized and I have been compensated
Sometimes only one person at front desk which I found strange for that type of hotel
I did not try the restaurant
Location good next other hotels
I went to have dinner at Meridien (starwood property) very good and entrance of hotel look better than this one

I am not recommended that hotel until some renovations and upgrade are done in order to make it at the standard of a modern (look like boutique hotel )design luxury hotel because so far it is average
But thanks to Ross at front desk and the Manager at that time

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sunseeker_mtl,
On behalf of the Management team at The Hotel Ivy, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Minneapolis, we would like to thank you for completing your review on TripAdvisor.
We are deeply sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations during your visit to our hotel, all of which attributed to your constructive feedback. We are glad to see we recovered prior your departure, and do hope you will stay with us again in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

MSP has a good W, Sheraton & Aloft, I've staid at all of them but IVY is the best. Great staff, big rooms, nice restaurant, Huge gym/ spa relative to normal hotels. Great location too.
Note: MSP is always quiet on weekends, everyone lives in the burbs, no matter where you stay downtown will tend be quieter than during work week.

Room Tip: Ask/go for upgrades. Standard rooms are nice but the bigger ones are worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
TheHotelIvyGM, General Manager at Hotel Ivy, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear josiahg1,

We would like to personally thank you for sharing positive feedback of your stay at The Hotel Ivy, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Minneapolis. Our staff has a commitment to each and every guest to create a discreet experience of bespoke service. We are pleased to hear of your exceptional visit and hope that you return in the near future!

Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We opted for a weekend "stay-cation" and selected the Ivy Hotel in Minneapolis. We read the reviews prior to booking the stay, and chose The Ivy over the W Hotel in downtown. I have to start with this proerty has so much potential but the Ivy has fallen flat on delivery.
We arrived Friday evening and found the valet and bell staff to be helpful and welcoming. But that is where is ends. We checked in with a very tired front desk staff, and much conversation happening with everyone but us. We selected a room that had our amenties, and king bed and soaking tub...plus the other standard items ( or so we thought ). We aren't rich, but we spend on without question of top notch and the experience we want, in this case calm, classy and posh.
With a hell couple of months this retreat needed to be full of those items, and Ivy said they would deliver...um, nope.
The room was average, not very clean and tired basics ( like carpet, furniture and caulk...yep, ugly grimmy caulk )
We didn't care as long as the bed was wonderful and the tub worked. And the tub worked.
Additional items, such as internet access $14.95 daily, room service comes with a heafty fee and stemware isn't always replaced in the room. So, bring your own wine and glassess.
Our spa xperience, and we were very excited to induldge ourselves with a facial, massage , pedicure and manicure lacked some really basic TLC. Again, not being shy about cost, we were grumpily greeted at front desk and quickly ushered to a locker room. Just not really a relaxing starting point. We are both veterns to the taking care of yourself retreats and often frequent places llike Ten Thousand Waves in Santa Fe, NM. so, we are not lavous people, but expect effort to create a relaxing environement. And starts with the staff.
The atmoshpere was more "club" like than spa. We love the LifeTime Gym in our Twins Cities, and frankly found the Ivy Spa similar. So, it really didn't bode well with our goals of the experience. As we sunk into the relaxation area, it was drowned with what seemed to be a bridal shower event, and the loudness echoed. Again, we just were eager to get our treatments started. Our facials, we both agreed were fine. The estheticians seemed capable and aside from trying to upsell us in the room, $15 extra for aromatherapy and $15 for Collagen mask , we were fairly pleased. Although, we wondered about the very dark room and providing a truly thorough treatment. The massages were "meh". I was brutalized by an inexperienced therapist who told me of his entire relationship throughout the entire massage. Oh, and he met his wife there. Ug, I know way too much about Bobby. His reckless elbow, forearm technique did not impress and frankly as I flinched and ask for less pressure, he never adjusted or gave a crap if I was getting the treatment I needed. Nothing too special requested, just relaxing massage. My partner said the pressure during her massage was too little then lacked listening to her request of neck and shoulder focus.
Okay, so now that I have been pretty specific, lets shift to a so-so pedicure and sloppy manicure, and poor products throughout that entire process. As we hurried out of the Spa, we were once again met with very stiff front desk staff that really were only interested in selling products recommended by each and every treatment staff member for us to purchase. Remember I mentioned crappy products? As we sped to check out, the staff gave us a token gift for our $750+ spa 1/2 day packages - weird...2 tee shirts and 2 tubes of lotion. Um, The shirts were 2XLs and the lotion drys your skin. We left those at the front desk at checkout the next morning. Lame.
As we figured out how to make our stay a gem, purchasing bath salts at Macy's and dinner to take in, we salvaged a weird day.
As we did check out this morning, we found the common problem of little to know staff on shift. The place was busy, and the front desk was barely keeping it rolling ( and certainly not with a smile nor being concerned with any ones quality of experience ). we checked out, returned the weird spas gift and he didn't even ask if we enjoyed our stay. Well, I suppose it was for the best, I wasn't really going to say anything nice. We left with much haste, and shall get back to Trip Advisor about a great stay-cation in our Twin Cities, MN.

Room Tip: Upper floors are better, and ask about what is included in your price. They get you like crazy on th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheHotelIvyGM, General Manager at Hotel Ivy, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
I truly appreciate the feedback you have provided. Bringing these details to our attention allows us to improve our service and I have shared your comments with our department leadership. We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our signature hospitality, for which The Hotel Ivy is known for.

Richfield, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

A wonderful upscale hotel with fantastic amenities. Will definitely return!!! The restaurant was beautiful and delicious. Definitely on par with all of the other luxury hotels in Minneapolis. This property is not musty like some of the other hotels in the area. Very clean and modern.

• Stayed August 2013
TheHotelIvyGM, General Manager at Hotel Ivy, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear fluffy5118,

We would like to personally thank you for sharing positive feedback of your experience at The Hotel Ivy, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Minneapolis. You’re praises have been shared with our staff and leadership and we extend our sincere appreciation for your business. We hope to welcome you again very soon.

Tom Hazay

Been to Hotel Ivy? Share your experiences!