“Good business hotel near entertainment options” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Low Rates from $89
Ranked #20 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Chicago, Illinois
“Good business hotel near entertainment options”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I'm a Gold member who traveled here for work and didn't have a lot of other options open. I would have to this Doubletree property is on par with their other suite-based properties. There are plenty of amenties like a fridge and micowave, plus ample work-area.

The pluses? As with most Hilton properties and my own experiences, the internet speeds are pretty decent. A lot better than some Marriott properties. I even felt the internet was faster than the Le Merdien. The location is close about 40 steps away from Nicollet Mall's restuarants and bards. The hotel is close to the Target Center. A Starbucks is adjecent to the property as well. Again, amble work room and the room service was very quick.

On the flip-side? There isn't a connecting Skywalk access. So in the morning I had to quickly scoot over to the Target store in order to use the Skywalk to get to work. The decor is business comfort, so this place isn't very trendy or have that family friendly ambience (but you do get a free cookie). I didn't have a car and don't know if they have spa/pool available, but I do know there was a gym. I didn't have any hassles by the front-desk team, but then again they were your typical greeting, smile, and back to looking-at-the-desk-computer crew.

I enjoyed my stay. I got a lot of work done and enjoyed the location. I would recommend this location to any business person or familes (for the suite space and closeness to Univ of St. Thomas).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dustin P, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Minneapolis, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you so much for giving our hotel a fair and timely review! All of our staff here at the Doubletree Suites is constantly and consistently improving, but we couldn’t ultimately realize all of our opportunities if it weren’t for gracious guests, such as yourself, giving us feedback. It is disheartening to hear that your perception of our front desk staff was that of average or normal. We strive to be anything but normal. We want to create experiences and memories rather than just go through the motions, but obviously we still have to work to do. Our top priority is and will continue to be going the extra mile for our customers. I appreciate your time, and hope that you decide to stay with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I am a Hilton executive member and rarely stay at hotels in Minneapolis because I live nearby in the suburbs. About once/year, I do want to stay downtown after an event or when I have friends in town to avoid the drive in traffic. Last year, I stayed at the Hilton nearby which was a fantastic experience. This year, I opted for the Doubletree (not quite the same experience, but it worked out just fine because the Hilton was at capacity). Both Hilton properties are convenient in terms of location downtown.

The Doubletree is a more modest hotel with a fair price point to match the basic amenities you need for your stay. There is a Starbucks next door and several fun bars and restaurants within walking distance. University of St. Thomas' downtown location is across the street. Taxis can be found just outside the hotel lobby if you need them. For locals with cars, or if you have a rental car, parking is kind of pricey at the hotel - they are the first to admit it too. There are other locations nearby in walking distance where you can park in a covered structure or even at a meter. It's good to research your options in advance. Be careful of the meters in Minneapolis though - read the box carefully as they can have a lot of variability in price and time allowed.

I had two concerns during my stay and both were addressed - one by luck and the other by resolution of the staff. First, there is only a tiny streetside loading zone in the front of the hotel for checkin so you really have to be lucky to have the first parking place on the street available when you arrive. If someone else is checking in, you best circle the block slowly or find a meter (not convenient during busy times). Second, upon checkin guests must sign a document indicating compliance with rules and regulations (including noise). One of the nights of my stay, the noise was horrible and some hotel guests on the floor were getting kicked out. It was terribly disruptive and as I recall, I heard security say they were calling the police next. Had I not pre-paid for this room, I would have requested an adjustment to my bill. Because I had pre-paid though, the manager offered me a nominal amount of HiltonHHonors points as a consolation which was fine, I guess. Bottom line: If there are issues, the hotel does attempt to resolve them promptly.

Room Tip: Noise and "challenging guests" can be an issue in this area of downtown (not specific to t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dustin P, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Minneapolis, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
First and foremost, thank you so much for your loyalty to the Hilton brand and for deciding to give the Doubletree Suites a chance for your last visit to Minneapolis. I see why you are a senior contributor on Trip Advisor, as your reviews are very informative and fair. I appreciate your time and for your patronage. While overall it seems like you enjoyed your stay with us, there were a few issues that I wanted to address with you. While we only have one parking spot on 11th street to unload during check-in during the arrival process, the hotel does have additional areas that are available for short term parking on LaSalle Avenue. I am very sorry this was not clearly articulated to you during you when you were checking in. Our hotel actually has the 3rd least expensive parking prices mid-week out of all the hotels in downtown, but understand that you may want to choose other accommodations when visiting. I can only imagine how annoying it was to be woken up or kept awake during the night from other guests of the hotel. We do have security onsite and promptly handle any noise issues that may occur. We have a zero tolerance for noise that affects our loyal guest’s peace and quiet because of a few guests that don’t want to abide by the rules. I certainly appreciate your patience and understanding. Thank you for all your feedback, and we sincerely want you to stay with us in the future and become part of the Doubletree family in Minneapolis.
New Braunfels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed here October 18 - the morning of October 21,2012.

The rooms are large and comfortable with microwave and refrigerator. Each has a small but comfortable living room and has a pull out double bed. The bed was very comfortable, the best sleep I have had in a hotel or on a ship, especially the pillows. Some parts of the room showed some age but nothing really terrible; the maintenance showed but that just meant that the hotel is being kept up and impressed us. It could use a bit of update but we will stay here again, especially for the free cookies and fruit. Sometimes the street noise can echo quite loud, but this really cannot be controlled by the hotel, no matter how much insulation or sound proofing. if someone wants to race down a street at 2:30 AM on a motorcycle with no muffler it will be loud. I went right back to sleep, my wife barely woke at all. And we got a "Purified," no or low allergy room for the same price. We are already planning to stay here again next October and how we can better use the amenities. Thanks to the staff we really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: We didn't use the exercise equipment and the hotel doesn't have a pool or we never saw or us...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dustin P, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Minneapolis, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
It was a pleasure to have you as our guests at the Doubletree Suites in Minneapolis. We are so excited that you have already booked with us for next October, and appreciate your loyalty and patronage to our hotel. We appreciate the comments and constructive criticism you articulated in your review. We use these reviews in our managerial meetings and in one on one with staff members to ensure we consistently train, follow up, and communicate appropriate protocol with our staff each and every day. We can't wait to have you back in the hotel, and please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you ever need anything else in the future.
Plano, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My fiancee and I came in town for the Twin Cities Marathon two weeks ago. Perfect downtown location. Check-in was smooth, minus no cookies available at that time.

It was within walking distance to quite a few things downtown, including the Target HQ across the street, and plenty of bars and restaurants. Also a short 8 block walk to the start of the marathon, which was our most important concern.

In terms of the hotel - our room was spotless. Free bottled water and unlimited cookies available at the front desk. Room service did a great job during our two night stay. Staff, decked out in Vikings gear on Sunday, were friendly and helpful.

Great stay overall.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dustin P, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Minneapolis, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Melvin,

It has been a pleasure communicating with you over emails the past few weeks. I hope you and your fiancée enjoyed the race and will be in town for the next marathon. Thank you for your kind comments, and for you choosing the Doubletree Suites in Minneapolis. We genuinely care for each and every customer that walks through our doors, and pride ourselves on going the extra mile for our guests. Take care, and we hope to see you soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Issues with cleanliness, ants in the bathroom by the dozens and a complete failure of the hotel to take care of the problem. Manager had nothing to say other than she was sorry they had forgotten to spray for the ants after I reported them the first day. Constant high pitched noise from mechanical issue somewhere - they had no idea. Avoid this place - there are plenty of other nice hotels in Minneapolis at a similar rate including other Hilton properties.

Room Tip: I had the ants on the 12th (top) floor which was their premium floor. Good luck
Mr. Siedl,

We have already talked extensively regarding the unfortunate circumstances surrounding your last stay at our hotel. I feel horrible that you had so many obstacles to endure during your short stay. I understand your frustration but want you to know that we have corrected all the errors you endured immediately and they will not happen again. I hope you reach out to me in the future, as I humbly want to make things right for you.
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed here on business recently. There were some positives and some negatives. First the positives - great location, easy to walk to most locations in town. Also, it is connected to a Starbucks, which is a perfect start to the morning. As for the negatives... I ordered food from room service for dinner and it was completely burnt and inedible. I tried to call the front desk to arrange a taxi for the next morning and they never picked up. I tried over a 2-hour period and was not able to get anyone to pick up the phone. Finally, the bathrooms were only mediocre. The towels were dingy and the ceiling had the beginning of some mold. If the other Hilton properties in town were all sold out, I would stay here again. But I hope that isn't the case!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I am sincerely sorrowful for the experience you endured while staying at the Doubletree Suites when you were in Minnesota. This type of experience is not typical of our hotel, so I am truly sorry that you had to endure these hardships. From burnt food, dingy towels, and long waits on the phones, these are things that normally never happen in a hotel of our caliber. I assure you I have already talked to all the appropriate managers and staff involved in these errors, to ensure these mistakes never happen again. Thank you for bringing them to my attention, and I hope you decide to stay with us in the future as we eliminate these errors.
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on July 4, therefore we were able to park one vehicle on the street overnight without a fee. We had two vehicles with us and my husband did not realize he could park in the street, therefore he paid $17 to park in the small ramp connected to the hotel. I suppose this is the going rate for city dwellers, but I like being able to park free. Nonetheless, we received a great rate through Priceline, so it justified the parking fee.

Since it was a holiday, the restaurant was closed the next morning. The hotel offered coffee, granola bars, snack bars, and a few fruit option for guests as a bonus due to the the closure. We did not upgrade our wifi option, therefore we used our ipads in the lobby in the evening to browse the internet. I guess these city hotels need to find various ways to make money, thus extra charges for basically everything.

The room itself was great - bed was very comfortable. Loved having the living room area with its own television. Bedroom area had its own television too. It would be nice to have a sliding door there though, just to partition off for the night if desired.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing the Doubletree Suites in Minneapolis over the 4th of July holiday period. While there were a few comments that you made that we are continuing to focus on and improve for our guests, I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and accommodations. We take every ounce of feedback with the utmost concern and resolve. Thank you for being our guest, and I hope you decide to stay with us in the future.

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Minneapolis? Share your experiences!