“What a nice surprise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis - Park Place

Save Saved
You added Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis - Park Place to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis - Park Place
Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Austin, Texas
“What a nice surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for three nights to visit a customer about 7 miles away. I'm a Hilton HHonors Gold member but hadn't stayed at the Doubletree brand before and didn't know what to expect. I hadn't read reviews of this hotel because planning this trip was rushed and I didn't have the chance to pick and choose where to stay - I simply had to find a hotel within the Hilton family close to the customer.

I have to say that I couldn't be more pleased with the quality of the service I've received, the quality of the room, the great food in Dover's restaurant, and the superb Precor-brand gym equipment in the 24-hour gym (yes, 24 hours!). The gym has 4 Precor treadmills, two recumbent bikes, and one eliptical trainer. There are two weight benches and several free wights, plus a balance ball and yoga mats. It's well-kept and clean, and there were always fresh towels and water in the gym.

The room I was given was a king bed, handicapped-accessible room, so there isn't a place to put my girlie things in the bathroom by the sink - the sink is a pedestal sink. The bathroom is large, though, and has Neutrogena-brand toiletries. They provide Neutrogena brand foaming facial cleanser and a great moisturizer with SPF45. Both products are very nice!!

The room has a king size bed, with nightstands on either side of the bed. There is a large 8-drawer dresser with a Phillips-brand TV, and a Wolfgang Puck-brand coffee pod brewer with Wolfgang Puck-brand coffee - it's actually quite nice coffee. There is a nice desk with a comfortable chair and wired internet access (wireless is only available throughout the hotel in public places). There is also a lounge chair with ottoman and a floor lamp for reading in the comfy chair, and a small granite side table.

The carpet, fabric on the furnishings, and curtains appear new and its obvious this hotel has been through a recent renovation; the lobby furniture is trendy and new, the carpet throughout this hotel is new and the furnishings in the room appear to be new as well.

The bed is the Hilton Heavenly Bed and boy - what a great sleep! 5 fluffy pillows on the bed (that don't appear to be feather pillows) with a great fluffy comforter.

The restaurant here in the hotel is called Dovers and they serve an amazing hot buffet breakfast. Eggs made to order, or scrambled on the buffet. Sausage, bacon, ham, hashbrowns, toast or muffins of all kinds, hot oatmeal, cold cereals, fruit, yogurt, juices, milk, you name it, it's probably there. The wait staff within the restaurant have been superb. Very friendly gals with very efficient service for both breakfast and dinner. By the way, the coffee in the restaurant is good too.

Dinner at Dovers was nice. I recommend the Beer battered walleye strips, the Caesar salad (with shrimp), and the 9" pizza. The Mango Tango Breakfast Shake is a great snack when you want something sweet. However, I didn't enjoy the Almond Raspberry Buttercreme torte - it just didn't have a good combination of flavors.

They provide great bathrobes and on the first morning, I was making myself a cup of the fancy schmancy coffee, and accidentally spilled it all over the fancy schmancy robe. I was so disheartened, but housekeeping came up right away and exchanged it for a clean one. The housekeeping gals were very nice and accommodating.

In fact, everyone has been nice and accommodating. I honestly can't complain about anything in this hotel, except for the torte. :) But honestly, my butt doesn't need the torte anyway. If you're looking for a place that's clean, trendy and aesthetically pretty with great service, then I would recommend this place. I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
MinneapolisParkplace, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis - Park Place, responded to this review, February 3, 2010
Dear Doubletree Park Place Guest, Thank you for sharing your rave review! We are thrilled that you had an excellent stay with us and would expect nothing less as we work tirelessly to provide outstanding service to our guests. Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Doubletree Park Place! We eagerly await your return to our hotel on your next visit to Minneapolis!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Grand Forks, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

This hotel is great, has great buisness center (free), fitness center, and very delicious cookies at check in mmmm. I have stayed here close to ten times in the last three years and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Dear Loyal Doubletree Park Place Guest, Thank you for sharing your review! It is such a treat to hear from our satisfied customers, especially from our loyal guests! We are so glad to be able to consistently provide you with the service you have come to know and rely on over the years, and we thank you for giving us the opportunity to do so! We thank you for your recommendation and hope to welcome you back to the Doubletree Park Place very soon!
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

Spent a night here in March on one of the coldest days of the year (-2 degrees F before wind chill). Rooms were clean enough. I didn't find anything to put me off.

At check in I was offered a warm cookie which was a first for me. Interesting customer service twist. Check in was quick and I was up to my room. Found it easily and the room was layed out well enough. I was hoping for a king but they only had two doubles which were just fine.

They had a hard wired interent access with the modem on the desk which is what I usually prefer. The internet access costs were pretty well the same for most hotels at $12.95 a day. Luckily the company I was visiting had corporate rates that also included free internet access.

Only issue I had was a burnt out light bulb in the lamp on the work desk. Other than that everything worked well. As with almost all Hilton based hotels I've stayed in I appreciated the curved shower rod that pushes the shower curtain away from you when in the shower. This alone makes my stay better. Beds were quite comfortable as well.

Never had a chance to sample the restaurants or the room service as I was in and out.

All in all a decent hotel but I wouldn't be expecting something special.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Dear Doubletree Park Place Guest, Thank you for sharing your review. Our apologies for the burnt out light bulb in your room. Please be assured that had we been notified, we would have replaced your bulb and resolved the issue immediately. Although you may have thought your room to be ordinary, we are glad that you found our staf and the service provided to be extraordinary. We thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Minneapolis!
Twinsburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

I'm a meeting planner so I utilize all areas of the hotel (sleeping rooms, meeting space, catering, etc.). Upon arriving at the hotel I was surprised that the decor was so dated. They say in their emails that they just completed an $8 million dollar rennovation but I can't figure out where they spent the money. Shuttle service available within 5-mile radius around hotel but shuttle doesn't run on weekends so if you are here without a car, you're stuck as there is really nothing to do around the hotel. Beds are very comfy! Complimentary wireless service is spotty throughout hotel. I had to carry my laptop around in the public spaces to get it to work but once I got connected, it worked fine. Business center offers complimentary computer usuage, printing and faxing but computers have high security settings on them so you cannot save any changes made to your documents on the desktop or anywhere else. Indoor pool is nice but very small. Meeting space is nice but you can hear a lot of clanging of dishes and carts rolling around in the service hallways behind the meeting rooms. The food was very good both in the restaurant and from the catering dept.

• Liked — free shuttle
  • Disliked — shuttle doesn't run on weekends so without a car, you're stuck
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Central Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

I stayed at the Doubletree Park Place in March to attend the Public Library Association Annual Conference. I thought the hotel was a little shabby for a Hilton-owned hotel, but it was pretty nice. I was in a king room alone, with colleagues staying in other rooms in the hotel.

It was a challenge getting from the hotel the the downtown area, especially the convention center as the hotel shuttle did not travel that far, and a cab ride was around $20 one way. The conference did provide bus shuttle service, but on a limited schedule.

The restaurant was okay. I had lunch there and ordered a lobster roll, which was big but very salty and kind of "spendy", to use a word I picked up in Minneapolis.

The hotel room was extremely warm the first night as it was a warm time in March and the hotel could not have both heat and A/C, and the heat was still on. I did turn the heater to fan only, but still didn't sleep well with the room at 77 degrees. I spoke to hotel staff about that the next morning, and they were very apologetic and suggested I open my window for some fresh air.

The second night I followed their advice and opened the window. I went to bed around 10:30 and at around 11 I was awakened coughing. My room was just over the lobby on the fifth floor and there were two buses unloading out front for an extended period of time and their exhaust was coming in through the window. I got up and closed the window and called the desk to ask how much longer the buses would be there. They nicely went out and asked the drivers to move them to the other end of the parking lot.

I had finally settled back to sleep when I was awakened again at 1:30 AM. This time it was the men who had checked into the adjoining room. Although both doors were closed and locked, it sounded as though they were in my room. They were having a very loud conversation about nasty things they liked to do to women. I can't testify to their sobriety, but if I had to guess I'd say they had been drinking. (I later learned from the front desk staff that they were members of the Minnesota High School Football Coaches Association, who were there for some coaches conference at the hotel.) I was appalled by what they were saying and how loudly they were saying it. I again called the number for guest services, and when no one answered after about 10 rings, I hung up and called the front desk. I explained what was going on and the young lady on the phone said she would send security. In a few minutes I heard the security guard pound on their door--although they didn't seem to hear as they did not immediately answer the knock and he had to knock again. When they finally answered the door, the guard informed them that they need to quiet down as someone had complained about the noise. The men then inquired about who had complained, and the guard promptly called the front desk on his walky-talky feature of his phone and asked which room had complained. The front desk responded with my room number and the guard repeated to the men that the woman in my room number had complained. I WAS MORTIFIED! There I was a woman staying alone in a strange city next to men who clearly didn't respect women based on what I'd heard them say, and they then knew that I had lodged a complaint against them. I just couldn't believe it!

I went to front desk the next morning and asked to speak with the manager. I was informed that he was not yet in, but the desk clerk asked if he could help with something. I relayed my story to him and he expressed disbelief that someone would have done that and promised to contact the manager as soon as he arrived. I was leaving for the conference on a shuttle bus, so I left my cell phone #.

When I arrived at the conference center I reported the incident to the PLA Housing Bureau since they had made my reservation for me. They shared my dismay and promised to remedy the situation, which they later did by having my room moved to another floor (the top one) of the hotel.

I never received a call from the general manager or any hotel staff member through the entire day. Late in the afternoon I called Hilton Honors, of which I am a member, and told them about the incident. Again, I was promised a call from the general manager. To this day I never received a call!

That night when I returned to the hotel I was informed that a new room was waiting for me on the top floor and that I should return to my old room and move my things. When I did so, the men were in the next room talking (not loud this time). I was very intimidated and packed my things as fast as possible and moved to my new room. As an aside, the new room was supposed to be a special deluxe room (I don't remember the exact name), but it was identical to my old room except for the addition of a bench to sit and put your shoes on and a bath robe in closet.

The hotel offered my a free dinner in the restaurant to compensate me, but I was not available for any meals as I had conference activities until I left. They did ask me what else they could do and I indicated they could give me another stay to make up for the disaster this one had been. The night manager (I never saw the General Manager) made a fuss about how much it was going to cost him, but he agreed to have a certificate sent to me for a free stay. I did get a certificate, but it was only for one night at a Doubletree--big deal!

This hotel gives Hilton a big black eye in my opinion, and I would not stay there ever again, nor would I recommend it to my worst enemy. It was my worst hotel experience ever!!!!

• Liked — Memory Foam Topper On Bed
  • Disliked — Hotel jeopardizing my personal safety!!!!!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2008

Hotel was entirely fine. Location is convenient (right off the highway), staff was friendly, room was clean, beds were comfy. Bottom line, a perfectly decent place to sleep, particularly at the Priceline rate we got ($55/night, all-in). Doubletree cookies were very tasty, as they always are.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

I recently stayed at the Doubletree Hotel Park Place on Business for two nights.

This is one of those hotels where the staff make all the difference in the world. While the hotel is very nice and what you expect from Doubletree, the attention to the little extras and the service from the staff really make this hotel special.

The hotel and rooms are immaculate and it is obvious the staff takes pride in keeping the property well maintained. The room was very comfortable. I was in a junior suite, an over-sized king room, and it was very functional with a great king bed, sofa and seating area, good desk and chair and a functional bathroom. There is a standard TV in the room which works pretty well although you like to see plasma's when you travel.

The room was cleaned perfectly on arrival and throughout my stay. Housekeeping, like all the staff, pay attention to everything and its nice to come back after a long day to find everything replenished. There is free bottled water and a robe for your use. The internet worked perfectly the entire time and the climate control worked well (you can also open the windows which is nice).

The fitness room is wonderful with modern equipment (3 treadmills, 1 elliptical and 2 cycles). I didnt go in the pool but it looked very nice as well.

I ordered room serve and while it took a little while to arrive it was hot and good.

I could only find one downside my entire stay and that is, for reasons passing understanding, there is only 1 towel in the bathroom.

This could easily have been just another doubletree but the staff here is first rate, very caring and very attentive. If you are a diamond member they give you free breakfast, desert and internet and it is always nice to be recognized. I would definitely return to this hotel next time I am in town.

• Liked — Wonderful Staff !! First Rate
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis - Park Place? Share your experiences!