“Great for Meetings!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis - Park Place

You added Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis - Park Place to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis - Park Place
Ranked #28 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Great for Meetings!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

This is the second year in a row I have held my annual Minneapolis seminar at this hotel. The sales staff are fantastic, and the banquet staff specifically stands out for superior service. Attention to detail, all food and beverage out on time, and able to adapt to last minute changes.

My colleague and I also had guest rooms for three nights at the hotel. Both of us are Diamond Hhonors members and I was put on the Executive Level floor and he was upgraded to a suite on a lower floor. Rooms are modern and clean. I wish there was fridges and microwaves in the Executive rooms; although my colleague's suite did have these. There is also no wifi in the guest rooms, which is a major pitfall for me.

One huge negative that I have to mention, I was in my colleague's suite getting ready to order us lunch one day and I lightly heard the door open in the front part of the suite (I was in the back part of the suite where the desk was, yes the room is laid out in reverse with the bed in front and living room in back) - it was an employee who said he was just double checking the room was clean - which is fine, except that he didn't knock nor announce himself, it made me very nervous. This is the only reason Service doesn't get 5 stars from me, every employee I came into contact with was fantastic except for this one incident.

The area is clean with a lot of dining options within walking distance, along with a movie theater across the street. There is also a grocery store close by. Plus one thing I really loved, this is a complete non-smoking hotel, but there is ashtrays everywhere outside, this kept it clean and not the usual litter of butts everywhere like in most non-smoking hotels.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
MinneapolisParkplace, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis - Park Place, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
Leslie CLark,
Thanks for taking the time to fill out a survey. We do appreciate the feedback, it is one of the ways we use to evaluate ourselves and continue to improve. I apologize for the scare by one of our housekeeping supervisors. I will be meeting with the housekeeping team to go over how we can make sure we are following the correct porcedures.
We certainly appreciate you having your meetings here at our hotel and it looks from your comments that our staff and the area meet all your needs! Have a great day.

Sandy Buonanni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

This is the hotel that will have me checking my future reservations with a fine-toothed comb. I was flabbergasted to find when I got to this hotel that there was no in-room wireless internet! There was a cable for in room internet and wi fi access in "public areas" of the hotel, but I guess I was naive to think "in this day and age" that a reputable chain hotel would have wireless, high speed internet access in all their rooms.

Otherwise the hotel was very quiet, everyone was super friendly and the location was fantastic.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
MinneapolisParkplace, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis - Park Place, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
FannieBee,
First let me give you my thanks for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. We do appreciate the feedback, it is one of the ways we use to evaluate ourselves and continue to improve.
I appreciate your comments on our staff and facilities and it looks as if besides no WIFI in the room you had a great stay!
We are migrating to having WIFI in all rooms and space by the end of the year so we hope on your next visit we are all set for you.

Have a great day,

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

I am a HHonors member and this was my first stay inside the Double Tree series of hotels. I am a usual Hampton Inn / Embassy Suites traveler - but due to an event taking place here, booked this hotel.

It started with a bad vibe. We started by checking in at 3 - they had a room available and they checked us in to room 222. However, after the trip to the room, we found out the keys didnt work. We went back down, got the keys rekeyed - confirmed the room number - and the keys didnt work again. After working our way back down - I waited in line, another front desk person "upgraded us" to 324 a two-room suite.

I have to give him credit, he did walk us to the room. The room worked and everything was fine.

The evening went on with no hitch. Our event was catered professionally and the food excellent. The crowd control was excellent and overall meeting facilities are top notch.

We got back to the room around midnight - however a huge noise was coming from downstairs. Directly below us a party of kids screaming and music blaring. I called down to the front desk at 1a, 2a and finally at 230a - and every time - the female clerk just stated "We will send someone from security" or my favorite response "the party should be done soon."

I would safely say that we slept 4 hours before having to wake up and meet our group at the restaurant downstairs. The breakfast was great, no complaints about food or staff. We had 4 vouchers (2 from my package purchased and two given to us by the rep who helped us to our room for our travel companions) - we were told to leave them on the table on our way out . I also noticed that the vouchers had room 324 written on them - which means that the first time we checked in, the front desk gave us the wrong keys. That also meant we weren't "upgraded" but rather had the same room we purchased.

At check out, I was charged 4 breakfasts, even though we had the vouchers. We also did receive a discount for the noise - but more disappointing - not even an apology nor did the late evening customer service agent even leave a note.

---
Overall this hotel does not shine in its ability to maintain the brand name. There seems to be some communication issues, crowd control in the room areas and the design of the hotel in general. If you are looking for the most peaceful night sleep, dont sleep with a balcony to the pool area. If your using vouchers, make sure you see the final bill before you leave.

If you are in the area and little things drive you nuts, look further north to the Embassy Suites on the same highway. If you are a hard sleeper - you will enjoy the bed and the noise wont bug you. While the staff did an --ok-- attempt to recover you still leave disappointed. Hilton is a great brand and this hotel doesn't seem to follow in the steps of other hotels in the area or inside the chain.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
MinneapolisParkplace, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis - Park Place, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
First let me give you my thanks for taking the time to fill out this survey. We do appreciate the feedback, it is one of the ways we use to evaluate ourselves and continue to improve. I apologize for the issue's you experienced during check-in, breakfast and while you stayed with us. As a traveler myself, I can truly emphasize how frustrating all of these must have been. I will be meeting with our team to go over how we can work on eliminating and or improve ourselves in these areas. Our goal is to provide perfect service to all of our guests every time. I do hope when you visit the twin cities again that you give us a chance to show you a better stay and a quieter night sleep.
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

The Doubletree Minneapolis Park Place has great meeting space, a terrific staff and perfect location for groups. The staff accomodated our every request. The sleeping rooms are comfortable, clean and very reasonably priced. There are plenty of restaurants, bars and even a movie theater in walking distance. I truly couldn't be more pleased! If you are planning a family reunion, wedding,conference, club event or business meeting, definitely check out this Doubletree.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Neenah, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

This hotel was great! They put us on the upper floors for our stay. We were put on the 13th floor and the view of Minneapolis was amazing. Just know that if you are staying above the 11th floor you will need to swipe your room key in the elevator to access that floor. The pool was great but the hot tub was out of service at the time. Not that big of a deal. The breakfast was great too. I don't think I've seen a breakfast buffet that big before at a hotel. Hotel: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
MinneapolisParkplace, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis - Park Place, responded to this review, February 15, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to fill out this the survey. We do appreciate the feedback, it is one of the ways we use to evaluate ourselves and continue to improve. I do apologize for the hot tub being out for service during your stay. We were upgrading the jets and it is back in service as we speak. We do take great pride in our breakfast buffet so appreciate you noticing. We want it to be the best experience it can be.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

I spent one night at the Doubletree while in Minneapolis. I am a HIltonhonors member and this was my first Doubletree stay. From the smooth, 3-minute check-in process to the time I had to leave, everything was very good! Cookies are given to you upon arrival. The staff are friendly, helpful, and efficient. Rooms are very clean, and beds are comfy. Our king had 7 pillows! The only minor issues were: the internet in the lobby was slow, no free breakfast, and my room temperature was a little cold. (I used the thermostat to adjust it, but it still could have been a bit warmer). Overall, our 1 night stay was pleasant, and I would stay again. The hotel is surrounded by shopping and restaurants within walking distance. The complimentary hotel shuttle dropped me off at the Light Rail station so I could take the train to Mall of America and the airport for $1.75. Very convenient!

• Stayed January 2011
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

I stayed at this hotel last week for a business meeting that was arranged through my company. My first issue that prior to arrival, I phoned the hotel to request a room with a king size bed. The very pleasant front desk agent (and I might add that all hotel employees were pleasant during my stay) advised that the hotel was quite full but that she would note my request.
Upon arrival, I was checked into a room on the top floor and was only told it was a "king". When I arrived in the room, I was surprised that it was a Parlor room with a large conference table, huge wet bar and a Murphy bed! The bed itself was quite comfortable; however the room itself was odd in layout - no desk to work at (would have used the conference table; however the Intenet connection was on the nightstand at the other end of the room, did not reach, and rooms are not Wi-Fi equipped). The bathroom was on the smaller side and to my dismay, the sink faucet was activated by passing ones hands underneath (as in many public restrooms) - no hot/cold taps and not very pleasing to try and brush ones teeth with lukewarm water - I ended up using the sink at the wet bar for this purpose. Water pressure in the shower was also below average. This all was not the end of the world; however I would have appreciated being told at check in that this was a Parlor suite used primarily for entertaining. Had I known, I would have stuck with my original reservation for 2 double beds.
Secondly, the meeting/recreational areas of the hotel are in a very odd layout. To get to the meeting rooms from the lobby, one has to cross a large atrium area where the swimming pool is. There is a separated walkway; however requires a series of steps - not exactly practical with luggage in tow (i.e. rollerboards). There is a ramp (I assume for wheelchairs); however this requires walking directly in front of the pool area. This would not be a huge issue if it weren't for the fact that this area is also used as the "open air" portion of the restaurant and was packed with conventioneers every day for lunch seated at tables and in buffet lines - very minimal space leftover. Luckily for us, our lunch was served in our meeting rooms - as I would not have liked the strong smell of chlorine while eating either.
I did not find the food at the hotel to be all that appealing either, not to mention the hotel bar closes promptly at 11pm. Lastly, there are quite a few newer eateries across the street from the hotel (Crave, Cooper's Bar, etc) and while the walk is short, it requires crossing the parking lot and using the sidewalks - normally no issue; however the parking lot was barely plowed and the sidewalks had not been touched at all making the walk a little treacherous. This is Minneapolis in January, not Atlanta; therefore I would think more attention would be paid to this matter!!

Lastly, I agree with previous posters that this hotel is not in Minneapolis in my opinion. It's mailing address may be; however it is actually in St. Louis Park, about 20 minutes from downtown and an expensive $50 cab ride from the airport.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
MinneapolisParkplace, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis - Park Place, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience. Guest feedback is one of the ways we use to evaluate ourselves for continued improvement.

We are thrilled that you found our hotel staff to be pleasant during your stay. I do apologize for the less than perfect stay you had during your stay with us. As a traveler myself, I can truly emphasize how frustrating that must have been. Rest assured each item will be addressed so we can make sure we are providing a great experience to our guests. One of the most immediate changes we can make per your feedback is to have our agents share the room type with our guests upon check in.

Thank you from the entire Doubletree Park Place Team.

Sincerly,

Sandy Buonanni

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis - Park Place? Share your experiences!