“OK for business, not for families” 3 of 5 stars

Millennium Hotel Minneapolis
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1313 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55402-1114   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #16 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
“OK for business, not for families”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

First off, I realize this is a business type hotel but they could have tried a little better. Like, the rooms could have been larger, they were quite small and we found it hard to walk around the room at times. The place was nice but everything was just too small like the pool and the fitness room. Also, since it's in downtown, parking is quite expensive. Overall, the hotel was nice, but too small altogether.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I will preface this with two points:
1) My partner booked this through Hotwire. When you do this, the hotel gets screwed on the rate, that's not really good news for the way you'll be treated by the hotel.
2) This is a hotel in a businessman area, NOT in a strong leisure area, and it's run as such. If I had some corporation paying my way, I wouldn't have anything bad to say.

So we wanted to stay somewhere over Valentine's weekend, because in our third year together we had never done it but the weather would have prevented us from really traveling far.
When my mom found out we were doing this, she wanted to put her card down for incidentals (not payment). I would have just as soon shut them off and not had the ability to charge things to the room (we ultimately didn't charge anything to the room) and it would have been a lot less trouble, but not only were they insistant that we have a cc for $100, they have the most tedious process imaginable if the cardholder isn't traveling. Made something nice my mom wanted to do for us very complicated and really kind of turned us off to the whole thing.
However, we couldn't cancel, so we stayed anyway.

Our initial check in was by a clerk who initially insisted we cough up a credit card anyway, before finally reading the screen in front of him and seeing that we'd already cleared that (overly huge complicated) hurdle. He then sliced his finger open on the key packet and wandered off for several minutes (mostly understandable) in order to bandage his cut.
Nobody stepped in to finish our check in, we were left standing there.

We finally were checked in, and given a room with two very small beds (we're both big guys over 6'1, and we mentioned at least half a dozen times that this was a romantic thing we were doing for valentine's day). The room also had a tv which is at an offputting angle toward the beds and would be only marginally viewable from most places in the room. When we called down, intially our call was answered by "guest services" who instead of helping us or transferring us, rudely told my fiance to "call the front desk". Naturally, he thought he HAD called the front desk.
He was upset so I called down, got a nice lady at the front desk, and explained that the roomtype wasn't ideal for our purposes and was there something with one bigger rather than two smaller beds. Just at that moment, some errant children came by and pressed the doorbell, set off the strobe lights in the room and I nearly had a stroke.

She was VERY kind (although we DID have to drag all our stuff back down and back up again, most places as expensive as this send an employee with keys), and she was very kind.

We got into the second room, and it was nice. Not huge, and not the nicest I've ever seen, but it was adequate. Had a small fridge which was very low to the floor and not very pleasant to use. The TV was on a bit of paneling that went floor to ceiling. Was nice but the tv itself was on the small side, especially since they've drawn attention to it that way. But the viewing angle was far better, and there wasn't a doorbell for other people's unruly children to harass us with, so we didn't ask to move again.

The bed was really comfortable, and that was very nice.

We went to the pool and there were several clumps of long human hair we encountered. We found the empty space in the back corner of the room where the hot tub should be, but we never found a hot tub.
That first night (saturday) there were only a few clean pool towels left and the hamper was overflowing.

When we returned to swim on Sunday afternoon the pool area was still a mess, but when we returned a third time on Monday morning it was much better and cleaner.

As other reviewers have mentioned, there is a charge for wifi. We didn't bring a laptop and the cell strength is just about the best you'll get in the Twin Cities. We were fine without it, I have a 3G Iphone and my partner has a 4G LTE android and we didn't want for wifi.
This, along with nothing else really being included for free, and all the food options having extra fees, gratutities, and etc is why I said earlier that this is a hotel for business travelers. They don't pay their own way anyway, and don't *care* if wifi costs money, or how much the delivery charge is for breakfast. Doesn't matter one bit.
However, if you're a leisure guest with your demonspawn in town for a monster truck show or some or another stupid sport thing, you'll notice that it's probably not ideal for you. For you, I would recommend anything along 494 nearer to Mall of America. Odds are you'll find more free things.

The only other things I was unhappy with:
When I asked a housekeeper for extra coffee cups, she tried instead to strongarm herself into our room to clean it. My fiance was sleeping in there, and damnit, no means no! She did eventually cough up the coffee cups I actually asked for.
One of our cocktail glasses had sharpie marked all over the bottom, but wasn't the end of the world, just glad they believed me when I did report it and they didn't charge us for it, and the clerk I reported it to was very nice and kind about it.

Overall, if we did another staycation without putting much planning into it like we did this time, we would consider staying again. It's nice that it's in the skyway and there is a lot of great food nearby. But on the other hand, two out of eight interactions with staff were actually pleasant, the stay, even on Hotwire was FAR from cheap, and there are a LOT of hotels in the Minneapolis area we could try....

Room Tip: Our first room was on a lower floor and had strobe light doorbell that children LOVE to press. Our...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Katie N, General Manager at Millennium Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
LOVEB1RDS,
Thank you so much for such a detailed account of your stay with us!
I am always pleased when a guest shares that our staff is extremely friendly.

I am very sorry that you had a long process with your Mother's credit card. We are required to follow many laws as it relates to credit card compliance. I know that it is an inconvenient process, but is a necessary evil when protecting our guests credit information.

I am pleased that the team was able to find you a king bedded room to enjoy during your stay. You are correct is saying that we should have sent an associate up with the new guest room keys and this is certainly something for me to address.

We had many families that chose to have a special Valentine's Day weekend in the city this year. The pool was certainly well used. That is not an excuse for the lack of clean, dry towels, it is sometimes very difficult to keep up. We also unfortunately do not have a hot tub but have a Sauna. Certainly the long winters in this part of the country warrant the sauna to warm your bones!

I would love to assist you with any further reservations. We are a corporate hotel throughout the work week and adjust to our leisure guests needs for the weekends. Please feel free to contact me directly if I may be of assistance with a future visit.

Regards,
Woodbury, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We had a reservation and we were attending a wedding that evening, but for some reason the reservation was not in their system. But, Anita took charge and straighten everything out and we received a free breakfast for having to wait while she worked things out. Overall, we had a wonderful stay. All the staff were friendly and courteous. I definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your kind words about Anita and the service that you received. The team does a great job dealing a wide range of situations during all shifts. Anita is a great example of what it takes to ensure that our guests are well taken care of.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Millennium Minneapolis very soon!
Regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Unbelievable that they attempt to charge $10 daily fee for wifi. Free in bar area but not in rooms. Red Roof inns have free wifi but not this place. I only ran into this in Europe as it is not common in the USA. They really need to change this policy.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

My fiancee and I paid around $70/night for this hotel through Priceline. For that price, the hotel was a good value. For those that pay full price, however, there could be some disappointment.

The hotel is in a fantastic location and all of the staff are extremely friendly. Overall, we had no serious complaints about our stay.

If this hotel is trying to compete with luxury hotels like Hotel Ivy, however, it is off the mark. For instance, our room had a beer cap on the ground from the previous guest, the lamp shade couldn't stand up straight, the building signs were burnt out, and noise carried in from adjacent rooms and the hall. Are these things to honestly damper a stay? Of course not--they are trivial things. But if people are expecting premium luxury (and pay accordingly), I could understand fretting the little things.

The hotel itself is nothing to blow your socks off--expect your room to be nothing more than a nice chain hotel. The location, however, may well be worth it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. We have a great team of hospitality professionals that continue to prove to our guests that we are a great choice in downtown Minneapolis.

I do not have an excuse for any of the issues that you mentioned. I have spoken with the management team responsible for these areas. We have just completed a $22 million renovation and simple issues like the ones you have mentioned are easily fixed and avoided in the future.

We would love to welcome you and your fiancé back to the Millennium. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of assistance with future reservations.

Mankato, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Our stay was fantastic! A big part of the reason was due to Anita at the front desk. It was extremely busy the Saturday night we were staying at the Millennium and Anita had quite a few guests demanding her attention. Despite the crowd, she took the time to make us feel welcome & extra special. Thank you! As long as Anita is there - we will be back!

Anoka, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Anita at the front office manager is a gem. She handled everything so well and fast especially after a LONG day working the convention center. Even though there were a ton of young dancers and cheerleaders there for an event, it was not overly loud. Sat night there was a wedding and still no issues on the people or noise. Club level is worth the upgrade and the standard rooms were excellent... not huge but nicely done and desk, chair, frig, larger tv, and specious enough. I had an accessible room and like the extras for shower. The redo is great and modern. Sunday brunch is fantastic too. Room service -- great bfast and dinner. Price for food pretty normal, brunch was a bargain and quick. Easy for the skyway to conv center. Booking it for the next trade show.

Room Tip: Club level worth the extra for space and some perks.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to Millennium Hotel Minneapolis? Share your experiences!