“Reliable Hotel, Good Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Chicago, Illinois
“Reliable Hotel, Good Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have stayed here in the past and had a good experience. We stayed here during the recent Christmas holidays and again had a very good experience. We are Starwood Gold and received a free upgrade to the club floor at check in, which was a nice surprise when we arrived late on Christmas. The hotel is clean, was very quiet and the rooms are very spacious, especially the bathroom, which had ample counter space. The club lounge wasn't open over the holidays for food but it was very nice with a latte machine available 24 hours a day that made the cold Minneapolis mornings easier to take. Overall we enjoyed our stay and had no issues. The location is great, right off the highway and across from the mall. There were multiple options for meals very close to the hotel. We will be staying here again next time we are in Minneapolis!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Neil R, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Minneapolis West Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thanks so much for the terrific recommendation! I am sorry the club lounge was closed during your stay. We have made changes and no longer close our club even during slow times. Please visit us again and print this review and we will upgrade you to our club level complementary.

Neil Russell
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed here for a football game. While its not close to the stadium...there were plenty on places to eat and shop all around! The staff was extremely friendly and the rooms were quite large and very comfortable! I would for sure stay here again!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lawrence, KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a recent conference and really found it a pleasant surprise. When I had some confusion making my reservation about the corporate rate the staff was incredibly helpful and apologetic for what appeared to be a mutual misunderstanding.

When I arrived I like the fact they had a cool refreshing water urn--airplanes are quite dry. The front desk staff remembered the slight problem I had an upgraded me to their version of the concierge level. Very nice. Even without this club level access, I'm sure my stay would have been just an enjoyable (can you say that when you are attending a conference?) without that club access.

The design of the hotel was focused around a large atrium which made the place seen less boxy and just more open. Those long empty halls of the typical hotel can be exhausting so this was a welcome surprise. To be fair, I don't usually stay at Sheratons so I don't know how typical this is of their average design.

I did not partake of any of the in house dining options, save for the light appetizers and snacks in the Club level room. I loved the fact they had a do it yourself espresso machine so I could make myself a quad shot latte late at night as I prepared my remarks for the conference. Nearby and within walking distance were dozens of options but beware the mosquitoes in the summer there.

One of the really nice options I liked was the ability to decline housekeeping services in exchange for additional loyalty points or a $5.00 voucher to use in the bar. Smart way of rewarding environmentalism and saving money. I never make my bed at home and I was only staying for two nights so I decided I could leave my room messy.

The wifi was actually quite good in spite of a somewhat full hotel and the workout facility was exceptionally good for a hotel. A nice selection of cardio, universal and free weights.

My only complaint--no complimentary Wall Street Journal. Typically at a business hotel that's to be expected. USA Today is pretty much a staple at any hotel but at the concierge level I was kinda disappointed. Oh well!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sioux City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton West last night. Overall, it was a good experience. The hotel is easy to get to from the freeway and is adjacent to a decent-sized mall, Ridgedale, as well as a strip mall.
Upon arrival, we were upgraded to "Club Sheraton" status. At first, we didn't really know what that meant other than our room was beyond an additional accesss door that required a key to get to.
The lobby area is beautiful and has several areas from which to access WiFi, have a meal, or sit and relax. There are a lot of plants around that offer privacy in each of the areas.The elevators to the guest rooms are glass and even though there are only 4 floors, it is a nice ride up and down.
There is a bar and small coffee area in the lobby. We didn't have time to stop at the bar but noticed a group of about 6 people there around 10:00 and they appeared to be enjoying themselves.
Our room was located down a hall that overlooked the pool area. The other rooms overlooked the lobby area pictured below. All rooms surround the lobby and pool areas which are in the center of the rooms. The pool area was busy and had huge palm trees which were tall enough to almost reach the 4th level. The restaurant delivers to the pool area.
Our room itself - it was very comfortable, had a large TV, a fluffy white robe, thick white comforter and more pillows than usual. One downside - the bathroom fan was too loud to tolerate for long. We couldn't just turn it off as the light went off with it. The volume was such that when I was getting ready in the morning, I had to turn the fan off for a moment every now and then just to be able to stand it in there. The bathroom appeared to be in a state of remodeling. The countertop was huge, appeared new and had tons of space but the cabinet below looked as if it was made from pressed wood and then poorly stained or painted with some sort of flat brown. . . not a big deal, it just didn't fit.
The room was quiet. We did not hear other guests at all. I was appreciative of the blackout curtains in the morning.
The view from our room was the parking lot of what looked to be an apartment complex.
Sheraton Club Status? From what we could tell, this involved a continental breakfast which was located on the 4th floor. It including fruit, juice, croissants, milk, oatmeal and canned soda. The soda was a plus and it costs $2.50 in vending.
I am ranking the hotel as average in cleanliness. There were used tissues behind the nightstand. (I know this because I was looking for an outlet to charge my cell.) There was a used coffee cup under the bed. However, the room itself appeared clean.
Overall, the Sheraton was a good experience and we'd stay here again.

Room Tip: My preference would be to not have a room on the ground level right off the pool area. However, I am...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul D, Manager at Sheraton Minneapolis West Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your experience. We appreciate it! I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay and upgrade to the Sheraton Club Level. I am sorry about the issues you experienced in your room and I will address your concerns to our Engineering and Housekeeping departments. We look forward to your staying with us again.
Marshall, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We were very pleasantly surprised by the helpful staff in this hotel. The front desk people were wonderful, the restaurant in the hotel had good food and their wait staff were so nice and accomodating. We definitely will be staying here again when we come to the cities. The drive into Downtown Minneapolis for the Hennepin Ave Theatre area was very easy and quick getting back out also. Downtown Mpls hotels are much more expensive and this hotel was very reasonably priced. It is so refreshing to find staff that seemed to really want to help make youir stay exceptional.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul D, Manager at Sheraton Minneapolis West Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton Minneapolis West. We appreciate the kind words regarding our staff and food and look forward to your staying with us again.
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Ewww. Stayed one night on business. Construction outside hotel so that there is plastic sheeting covering half the hotel. I had many bugs around the window inside the room - I think they were some sort of beetle and also stink bugs. At least 10 when I stopped counting. Called the desk and was told they would "send up an engineer'. I didn't need an engineer - I needed a room without bugs so I packed up, went down to the desk, and they gave me another room at the other end of the place that was bug free. I called my colleague who was in the room next to my original room, and yep, when she opened her drapes it was all bugs, too. I'm guessing it was due to construction. So she switched rooms as well. The Internet cable in room #2 did not work. I had to go to the lobby to connect to Internet, which was inconvenient as I was exhausted after a full day of meetings and just wanted to relax in my own space. The breakfast buffet was way overpriced which is to be expected for a hotel with a lot of corporate travelers on expense accounts. Will not return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was here for 4 nights for a business trip so I wasn't really in the room except for sleeping. Was your average Sheraton hotel, nothing outstanding but then nothing negative. Bed was comfortable. Room service menu was good, and quick to be delivered. The workout room was small but had everything I needed to get a workout in. Negative there was treadmills don't face the TV so if you are running it is boring with nothing to watch unless you look to your left. I used the shuttle bus and it was easy to setup. There is a mall across the street which was nice.

When I checked out an hour after I had room service breakfast it wasn't on my bill so the couldn't give me a final bill. I would say 75% of hotels have this issue and it is annoying as when you are doing an expense report you have an incomplete bill. The front desk said the would email an final bill when they had it and to their credit they did do it and I didn't have to follow up.

Overall decent hotel to stay in for work. Had an indoor pool I didn't use, would be good if you had kids. It was way outside of the city but was close to my work but if you were trying to stay in Minneapolis, this isn't the hotel for you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Minneapolis West Hotel? Share your experiences!