“Great location, beautiful room, terrific staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Marquette

You added The Marquette to your Saves list
The Marquette
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   710 Marquette Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55402-2368 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay & Park!
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Iowa
“Great location, beautiful room, terrific staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at the Marquette again last month and had a great visit. We had an alcove room which is huge and has wonderful views of downtown Minneapolis. The hotel and rooms are clean and well maintained. They are a little short on things like pillows and towels but are very happy to provide anything extra that you need. It is located right in the middle of downtown - on the skyway and close to everything. I also really like the parking - it is inside but have self park - bright, clean , warm garage with direct hotel access. No complaints about this hotel - just wish it was part of the Marriott chain.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Polish first
Omaha, Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My rating is relative to other hotels in the same price range. If I'm comparing this to a Motel 6, it would be a 3, maybe a 4.

Pros:
Fantastic location
Very clean
Great view from rooms.

Cons:
Noise
Inconsistent staff
The necessities

Positives:
The hotel is in a fantastic location. Near great restaurants, all major sports venues, and some great bars. I highly recommend Prohibition (bar). Pricey, but very neat 20's atmosphere with great skyline views and easy to talk with your friends. Get there early if you can because the tables fill up fast. I also recommend Zelo, an Italian restaurant. Both of these places are within a very short walking distance. The views from our room on the 15th floor were amazing.

Staff:
Because my stay was one that was important than normal, I contacted the front desk just to ensure all reservations were in order. The person on the phone was very clumsy with her knowledge and approach. It was tough to get things done. When we checked in, there ended up being a problem with the reservation. It was addressed by a manager, who seemed bothered by the system error that occurred and directed that frustration at us. She then blamed her "new employee" for the error. While I appreciate that errors can happen, and new people need time to learn and adjust, why would you air your dirty laundry like that? Simply fix the issue, and move on. I would not be happy with myself if they were my staff. I will say that the room service folks and the folks working as the bell hop/valet were fantastic. Always smiling, always willing to help.

Noise:
I spent a few days with my partners in a King Alcove Suite. Because it was a corner room, there were two rooms on either side of ours. One had a locked adjoining door. Unfortunately, the door was thin, with a large gap at the bottom of it, and both rooms had marble entries. This allowed me to hear my neighbors’ conversations word for word if they were near the door, and the sounds echoed throughout our room. It was much worse at night when our neighbors came home from a long night of drinking. I wasn't able to sleep until 3 AM on the second night. The bathroom had the same floors and the bathroom door was the same poor material of the adjoining door. Because of this, you could hear anyone using your restroom and all their business. It was very awkward.

Frustrating little things:
- Our shower had two shower heads, a normal shower head and a "rain" shower head. The rain head was directly above the person in the shower, and would have been a nice feature had it not leaked. When the normal shower head was on with any temperature of water, the "rain" shower head constantly dripped ice cold water. We had to stand to the side or behind the dripping.
- The bathroom did not have a vent fan of any kind.
- The room had no microwave or usable refrigerator.
- The iron wasn't usable because the lid that holds water in the iron was broken, so water would come out if the iron was used.
- The vent/heater in the room also made a ticking noise whenever it was on that was annoying.
- The "Executive Lounge" is sold as a feature for the nicer rooms, but it's not worth mentioning. We were told to come between 7-10 on Saturday night for "dessert." We arrived after our dinner at about 8 PM to find that there was a single plate of store bought cookies laid out on a plate. While I appreciate that they were complimentary, the drinks that were offered certainly were not. I don't feel hotel guests are entitled to “free” things, but I did feel like this "extra" is pushed on customers to try and get them to buy more alcohol from the hotel.

That's a long list of admittedly minimal things. Individually, they are not worth mentioning. Things happen. I guess it was the totality of all of them in two days that was very frustrating to my partner and I. Perhaps we were unlucky with our room. Most of our gripes were room specific.

I will not be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Marquette2, Director of Sales at The Marquette, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Rusty K,
Thank you so much for your feedback and we apologize for the lack of service and amenities you received. We have addressed the noise issues as well as your room issues with our staff and are working on them as we speak. Thank you again for your comments.
Lisa Heller
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

A colleague and I stayed here while in Minneapolis for a conference. Although the conference was at the Hilton (a couple of blocks away), we were able to walk INDOORS through the skywalk and did not have to bear the elements. Check-in was quick and staff were helpful to find a restaurant nearby. The room was clean with a great view of downtown. We had no complaints. The bathroom was a good size and I liked the glass doors on the shower. The mini-fridge was useful and the executive desk was helpful to get work done while in town. Also, 24-hour access to the business center was superb. I used it at midnight. Definitely would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

After self-parking (reduced rate of $20), Check-in was quick and friendly. The upgraded king room was nice, green granite vanity, strand up shower with rain and regular showers heads, mini-fridge, spacious desk, and flat screen TV. Indoor connection to shops, coffee shops, and enclosed connections to other buildings.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
River Falls, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My spouse and I stayed here for our aniversary and were very satisfied with the service, cleanliness and comfort of the hotel. We have stayed at many of the Downtown hotels, but had yet to experience the Marquette. The location of this hotel (in the IDS center) is very centrally located to all the shops and some very nice restuarants,

We were able to find a competative rate directly on Hilton's website and booked the room there. Once checked in, which went very smoothly, we made our way to our room. Upon exiting the elevator, we noticed a lot of noisey guests. As we found our way to our room, it turned out that the noise was coming from the room next to ours. Although our room seemed to be relatively quite, the noise did travel through the doors.

In and effort to avoid moving at a late hour, we inquired as to weather we could change rooms now. Our request was honored without question, and we were even given two complementary coupons for breakfast in one of the hotels restaurants. Very Nice touch.

Our Executive Level King was very spacious, with a great view of the city. King bed was very comfortable and we enjoyed the executive lounge as well. A few of the light fixtures are in need of repair, but the rest of the room was very well maintained.

The reason for the "average" rating on the spa, we get a chance to use the health club.

We would highly recommend the Marquette Hotel to anyone staying in the Mpls. downtown area.

Room Tip: Executive Level floors are a nice option.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Marquette for our 20th anniversary last year. It is located within walking distance to anything you want to do and close to the light rail. They were very helpful with dinner reservations and tips for around the area. The consierge service was excellent! We are staying again this year.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Marquette2, Director of Sales at The Marquette, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Tammy A,

Congrulations on your upcoming 21st anniversary! and we are delighted you are coming back to spend this wonderful occasion with us.

We look forward to seeing you again, and thank you for taking the time to review us on tripadvisor.

Lisa Heller
Egg Harbor, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

In town on business and the Marquette is right there in the heart of it all. 1st appointment across the street in the Wells Fargo building. 2nd appointment right in the building housing the Marquette.

Did not try Basil, hotel restaurant, but loved the Mission which is connected indoors with the Marquette.

Excellent professional staff. Great EL. Top notch treatment for HH Diamond. Wish more Hiltons paid such attention to detail.

Lovely stay.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to The Marquette? Share your experiences!