“Sweet Suites” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Marquette

You added The Marquette to your Saves list
The Marquette
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   710 Marquette Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55402-2368 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay & Park!
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
minneapolis
“Sweet Suites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

Got married a year ago in the Marquette owned and/or operated Windows on Minnesota and stayed at the Marquette afterward. Everything was great.

Stayed there again for our first year anniversary. Decided to pay-up for an executive suite and was very pleased with the huge "parlor room" with big flat screen TV, beautiful newly renovated bathroom including a large shower and separate jacuzzi that was easily big enough for two.

Check out Basil's Restaurant too. Very nice atmosphere and great food.

• Liked — Nice DT location, skyway access, close to shopping and great high end restaurants
  • Disliked — elevators can be a little slow at times.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Polish first
South Twin Cities Suburbs MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

My wife and I got our first chance to get away together since having our daughter two years ago, the staff as well as the pleasant, professional atmosphere made our one night getaway truly relaxing and worthy of this positive review. Kudos to the Marquette and their staff. Special thanks to Erin at the front desk who truly understands people and their individual needs!!!!!

THANK YOU!!! WE WILL BE BACK SOON!

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — We had to leave
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2008

I recently stayed at the Marquette for two nights on business.

The hotel has an excellent location attached to a mall in downtown Minneapolis. The staff are very attentive and pleasant, I wish they were like this in every hotel I visit.

The rooms were very clean, nice sized and will be even better when the bathrooms are renovated over the next two months. The only thing in the room that showed age is the bathroom and TV but those are all being redone. The bed was great and there is a big wrap around desk which I loved.

The hotel has a starbucks that is right outside the entrance and convenient for caffeine addicts. The gym was very nice with modern equipment and two large TV's.

The only negative was the room I reserved was not available, which frankly I get pretty used to at hotel but never ceases to annoy me and unfortunately is the first thing you experience when you get to a hotel so they are already working off a hit on the ratings . About the only benefit of being Diamond with Hilton is extra points, I gave up on upgrades now I consider myself lucky if I get the room I reserve. At any point I was looking forward to staying on the executive level which is much nicer and was unable to so apparently the hotel doesnt honor reservations for type of room, something to consider before you book at this or any other Hilton as its a common.

Otherwise I would easily return to this hotel for the staff, facilities and a pretty nice standard room in a great location. Service is the key here.

• Liked — The staff and service
  • Disliked — The reservation system
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

We stayed at The Marquette for one night; it is a very nice and modern hotel. Upon check-in, we were immediately upgraded to an executive room without asking which was very nice. The room was spacious, clean, and nicely decorated. The bathroom had been remodeled and was quite nice. The staff is very helpful and polite. The only minor complaint I have is that breakfast at the restaurant on the 3rd floor was not very good. The omelette was $15.00 and pretty much had no taste. Other than this, I don't have any complaints. Nice place and stay.

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Princeton, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

I recently stayed at the Marquette for a 5 day - 4 night business trip this past month. I had never been to Minneapolis before and was coldly welcomed by the -20 degree weather but warmly welcomed by the hotel staff. Before I could even get out of the cab which dropped me off from the airport, my luggage was taken out of the taxi, put onto a cart, and I was kindly escorted out of the cab and into the lobby. The hotel staff warmly welcomed me and had everything ready for my arrival. And before I could even pull my bags up all the way to the counter, I was already checked into the hotel and a bellhop was already summoned to get my belongings.
After carrying my belongings up to my room, the bellhop went out of his way to show me the local magazine and point out attractions worth checking out. After settling in, I soon received a call to make sure that everything was suitable in my room, which it was.
I travel quite frequently, and noted a few positive and negative things immediately upon entering my room. As far as the positives go, the desk was smoothly L-shaped and large enough for me to spread my work out. There was also a scale in the bathroom which was quite unique and which I appreciated a lot. The bathroom floor had a large (approx. 3 foot long) shaggy bathroom rug on it (in addition to the traditional white floor mats) which I thought gave it a cozier feeling. The room also had an electric shoe polisher in the corner by the desk which was a nice touch. All of the lamps in the room had fluorescent bulbs to conserve energy, however they were under chic, modern shades and did not give that overly bright and sterile feeling that fluorescent lights generally give.
I also ordered room service several times while in the hotel, and was pleased with the speed and quality of the food each time. One request I had was for a pitcher of cranberry juice, and while they said they did not have cranberry juice available in such a large quantity, they managed to combine several bottles into a nice silver pitcher to satisfy my request. Also, the Ginger Fried Calamari and Tagliatelli I ordered were absolutely delicious!
I also requested taxis from the front desk several times throughout the week which were ready and waiting by the time I got downstairs. I was always escorted by the bellhop from the lobby outside to the car door.
As far as negatives go, the grout in the bathroom was discolored and dirty, but there were signs all over the room notifying guests of the upcoming hotel-wide bathroom renovations scheduled for sometime early this year. The TV was in an awkward position in relation to the bed, as it was at the left side and not the foot of the bed. This made it difficult to watch TV (since one had to lie at an angle to see it properly), but made for nice sunrises and sunsets with the wide windows at the foot of the bed. The worse problem I faced was the severe cold and the insufficient heating in my room. The thermostat was set to 72 or so when I arrived, and I soon found out this would not do the trick. After having moved it up to 80 degrees, and also speaking with other guests facing similar problems, I decided to call the front desk. Within 3 minutes after having phoned them, I heard a knock at my door and saw a maintenance man there to fix it. Although he could not find anything wrong with the system, he moved the heat up to its max of 85 and offered to upgrade me to another room free of charge. I declined, and he replied that he would check back in 30 minutes to see if it had gotten better. After 30 minutes, my phone rang and the front desk asked if I wanted to be moved to another room since they could not resolve the problem. I replied no as I only had one more night in the hotel, but appreciated their attentiveness.
Overall, the staff at this hotel was UNBEATABLE! Had it not been for the cold, this would have been one of the best trips of my life. If I find a reason to go back there, there will be NO question in my mind where I would stay. This hotel should be a tourist attraction as far as I'm concerned just for the service alone. Don't bother staying anywhere else if you travel to Minneapolis!

• Liked — THE INCREDIBLE STAFF
  • Disliked — the cold
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Paul, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

Being new to the area of Minneapolis, I didn't know where to get the accouterments for my daily routine. When I questioned the concierge for directions to a convenience store, he said that he would simply send a driver over to get whatever I needed and bring it up to my room. Indeed he did, with a smile and a nod. The same man, not more than 10 hours later, personally hailed a cab for me in sub-zero weather so I would not get cold.

I am 25 years old, service like that doesn't EVER happen.

• Liked — Service was fantastic.
  • Disliked — Windy, sub-zero weather left the room drafty and chilly.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2008

Stayed at the Marquette for a Saturday night getaway. When we arrived, we had requested a non-smoking room, but none were ready yet. The desk clerk gave us drink coupons for the bar and told us he'd come and get us when the room was ready. When we got to the room is was specatuclar. Very spacious and clean. Has to be one of the best values in all of downtown!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends

Been to The Marquette? Share your experiences!