“Rooms next to the elevator” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Minneapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Milwaukee
“Rooms next to the elevator”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2006

I also was put in a room next to the elevator shaft. I cannot believe that the hotel can in good conscience rent these rooms out. They obviously know the situation. It is as if a train is running through the room every 30 seconds, and everyone talking outside of the elevators sounds like they are inside your room. I got three hours of sleep, max. The hotel staff did move me for the next night, and they did not seem particularly surprised about the request. It was clear they know about the noise. They should not be allowed to rent that room out. Anyone who goes there should avoid any room ending in the number 20.

• Liked — Nice bathroom
  • Disliked — noise, low water pressure
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid room near elevator
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Thai first
Utica, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2006

I stay at the hotel twice a year for meetings and it always is a great stay. The rooms are large and clean, the service is great especially the front desk staff.

I had a great meal in the hotel restaurant "Firelake"

Overall a great stay, would not change anything

• Liked — Big clean quiet rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2006

Great hotel. We booked - 2 adults and our son, 15 - (at very good price by the way) in the Plaza Club - including breakfast and complimentary beverage - and I have to tell the we spent 2 wonderful days at Radisson. The breakfast is a very good continental breakfast and served in a dedicated room at 15yh floor. It looks to be in small B&B. The afternoon beverage includes alcohol and (quality) snacks prepared by the hotel. Clear (and clean) room. Furniture very good. Location is perfect, close to shopping and restaurants. The parking is under the hotel and very comfortable and convenient. If back in Minneapolis, I will select again Radisson.

Stayed August 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2006

When we checked in there was a short line and the clerk had difficulty with our reservation so we were skeptical about the hotel. Our room faced the street but had a large beam, which most apparently do if you face out. The room was not that bright b/c there are many large buildings surrounding it. Housekeeping knocked on the door around 8:00 the first day which we were not happy about, but upon speaking to the manager, she quickly apologized and made it right. Not a huge fan of the sleep number beds. The restaurant is reasonably priced and of a good quality. Parking was decent in the garage right underneath. The hotel is attached via skyway to the whole city which is nice and it is close to many stores and restaurants. I would definitely stay here again if I were in this area.

Stayed June 2006
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2006

Recently spent 4 nights at the Radisson for a conference. Was very pleased with the size of the room, very clean and comfortable. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Very quick service from front desk to room service. Speedy elevators, which is always a bonus. Connected to skywalk system which is great if the weather's not so hot! Nice area...lots of good restaurants and great shopping within easy walking distance. 2 blocks from light rail train to go to Mall of America. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
La Crosse, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2006

I was at this property for a small conference for one night. I ended up in a very small room with the elevator on the other side of the wall. I cannot imagine any architect building a hotel property and having a sleeping room next to the elevator shafts. All night long, I heard the elevator rushing up and down. I did not get any sleep until well after 3:00 a.m. Then at 7 a.m. they were running full time again. The front desk even lied to me and told me that the elevator would be shut down at midnight. The front desk staff would not move me because there were no other rooms available. I contemplated leaving at 2:00 a.m., but I was SO TIRED! My job is a corporate travel arranger. I would never put an employee up at this hotel knowing that they could end up in the same room I was in or any number of other rooms on each floor that would be in the same location. Ear plugs did not mask the noise whatsoever. Needless to say, I missed my conference. I packed my bag and went home to sleep in my quiet house. What a waste of time and money!

Stayed September 2005
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2005

Radisson hotels vary greatly in their quality. The Radisson in downtown Minneapolis was great - one of their best hotels by far. I would equate the quality of the rooms to a typical Westin; very polished and elegant. It is much nicer and newer than the Marriott across the street (the Radisson received a few million $ renovation within the past 3 years).

The bathrooms have all the amenities you'd expect from a 4-star hotel, including a scale, vanity mirror, etc. The furniture is dark cherry, and the carpets are very clean and new. I was very happy with my stay, especially because I've stayed at not-so-nice Radissons in the past. The hotel has a restaurant downstairs that is comparable with other ones in the area. Parking is valet only.

The views can be pretty discouraging, because many of the rooms face inwards, so the view is of the hotel itself. So, I recommend asking for a room with an outside view.

Aside from the new Mandarin Oriental, this is the nicest hotel in the area, and a very nice stay can be expected. The photos are of the room, a view from my roo of the Marriott hotel across the street. And, a photo of the Mall of America.

Been to Radisson Blu Minneapolis? Share your experiences!