“Wonderful Staff, Adequate Rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Plan ahead and save 15%
Ranked #8 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sandy, Oregon
“Wonderful Staff, Adequate Rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed here for three nights, for a conference. The rooms were clean and comfortable, with warm comforters on the beds. The beds were very comfortable, as were the pillows. One "living room-type" chair and a floor lamp to read by. I liked having a reading lamp at each side of the bed. There was also a work desk and a small table under it that could be pulled out for additional work space. The heating/cooling system didn't work well; even when the thermostat was @ 62° it was still warm. For someone who would be working in their room, the room was fine.

The location is great - right in the heart of Minneapolis. I was able to walk to the Mississippi, cross over on one bridge and come back over another - a nice 3.5 hour loop, at a strolling pace. There were many restaurants and stores within six blocks.

All of the staff I encountered were very friendly and helpful.

Green Features: The hotel says to leave your towels on the floor if you want them changed; otherwise, hang them up. I always leave mine hung up - but in this hotel, as in so many others that profess to be environmentally friendly - the housekeeping staff gave me new ones on a daily basis.

369 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Thai first
Ridgefield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Visiting Minneapolis for the first time in many years, convention was in town, so hotel rooms were at a premium.

Very convenient location, close to the office, everything in walking distance.

Hotel staff were very efficient, room was spotless, but the internet was slow! I guess we all expect high speed internet to mean just that.

Only disappointment was the service at the bar, as it was late, I had to eat at the bar, indifferent service, and what I requested was not what was delivered. Very sloppy.

Sticker shock at check out, not value for money.

Sde Boker, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed in the Radisson plaza Minneapolis for only one night.
Unfortunately, this is not sufficient time to experience the hotel properly. Still, I would wish to mention the friendly and helpful staff. The location of the hotel was very good (especially if you are into shopping). The Room I stayed inn was quite old, but still provided a very good night sleep. I liked the fitness room, it was on a high floor (unusual), and provided me with the facilities I needed for my workout.
Should come again with my wife, she will better appreciate the shopping around :-)

Room Tip: Fitness Room is on the 17th floor so don't run to the basement as you used to :-)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was my 3rd stay at this hotel and I have never been disappointed. The rooms are large and spacious, the beds are comfortable (I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud), the workout room is fantastic (located on the 17th floor and not on some dingy basement) and the hotel personnel is delightful. The highlight of my day was being cheerfully greeted by Larry every time I went down to the restaurant to get my breakfast. The nighttime bartender was also very helpful and friendly.

The Fire Lake restaurant is surprisingly good (I usually distrust hotel restaurants). Some of my favorites were the oven-fired mozzarella pizza, the Walleye burger and slaw, and the wood-grilled asparagus.

I heard that the hotel is undergoing a $22-million renovation to become a Radisson Blu. Looking forward to seeing the results!

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room on a higher floor not overlooking the atrium (unless you want absolute sil...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Michelle T, Director of Operations at Radisson Plaza Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you both for your recent stay and for taking the time to provide the great review on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.
I thank you for your business and loyalty. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Regards,
Michelle Torguson
Director of Operations
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at the Radisson for two nights. The location is great for shopping, restaurants and easy access to other parts of Minneapolis. Friendly and easy check in and check out. The carpet is a bit old, but I have seen worse. The bed was most uncomfortable probably due to being old. The parking is tight and on two nights when we came back the lot was full, so you can not count on having parking even though you have paid for it. We did not eat at the hotel, so I can not comment on the food or service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Last week we did the Hotwire mystery hotel dance and were very disappointed to get the Radisson Plaza in downtown Minneapolis. I am glad to report that we were very wrong in our pre-judgement -- the Radisson provided an excellent stay.

We arrived on a Thursday night and parked in the convenient and well-lit hotel garage. The price was a bit high ($19.00) but we were tired and grumpy and wanted to eat dinner. Once inside we were greeted by friendly desk staff and offered an upgrade to the concierge floor for $25.00. I'm glad we accepted -- because the room was great. I'm sorry to say I've forgotten the man's name (Dedvit?) but he gave us several recommendations for eating out and for checking out the sites around town and the ones we made it to -- were great. We stayed until Sunday morning and during our stay we tried out the hotel restaurant (FireLake Grill) the concierge, and the fitness room — all were excellent. Overall we definitely recommend this hotel. Our biggest complaint -- the lobby concierge desk was barely staffed and when someone was available they had absolutely no clue.

PROS:
- Clean large room and bathroom
- Nice concierge room with a beautiful view of the city
- Good wine and excellent breakfast provided in the concierge room
- Friendly staff
- Quiet air conditioning
- Beautiful Fitness room and bathrooms

CONS:
- Concierge floor concierge -- only open from Monday - Thursday and Friday (morning only)
- Slow to cool air conditioning
- Paper-thin walls
- Dirty grout in the bathroom
- Expensive parking
- First floor concierge -- clueless

Room Tip: Ask for a high city view. The concierge floor is great but is only open Monday through Thursday and...
Green Features: The hotel does allow for keeping towels without washing unless left on the foor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you both for your recent stay and for taking the time to complete the TripAdvisor review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay as well and the great guest service from our staff!
We have addressed the areas of concern with our team and we are working diligently to fix those areas to ensure a similar situations do not occur again in the future.
We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area, and thank you for your business and loyalty!
Regards,
Michelle Torguson
Director of Operations
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here 3-4 times in recent years, mainly for business. This time was a free weekend based upon the terrible experience I had last time. First, the location is great - within walking distance to all things. The restaurant is also wonderful. The fitness center has been refurbished and is also good. The rest of the hotel experience, the most important in my opinion, is subpar - definitely not deserving of 4 stars.

Before checking in we had spent 3 nights at the Radisson in Bloomington by MOA. That hotel was great so I have faith in the Radisson chain, but this hotel is off the list. The Marriott is right across the road and that will be getting my business going forward even if my conferences continue to be held at the Radisson.

The rooms are dirty and small and at least a few years beyond the point they should have been refurbished. They have FULL sized beds, not queen, in the standard rooms. We dared to look under them and found someone else's clothes and fast food wrappers. The carpets are stained dark from overuse and frayed in spots. The bed sheets and duvet had stains. The pillows were so flat they were useless. The walls and doors are paper thin and you can hear every conversation in the adjacent rooms. If there is a twins or vikings game in town, you will get no sleep due to the drunk and loud guests coming back to the hotel. This hotel has unfortunately become a haven for these types of patrons.

People loyal to Club Carlson, and the Radisson brand, deserve better.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Radisson Plaza Hotel Minneapolis? Share your experiences!