“Great Hotel and good stay.” 3 of 5 stars

Plan ahead and save 15%
Ranked #8 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bloemfontein, South Africa
“Great Hotel and good stay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Great hotel, excellent quality
Had trouble with
the Wi-fi
Stayed one night, tried to book another and the price went up with $100 so we moved to another.
Otherwise it was nice.
I thought there were going to be more luxurious, but everything was good.
Would recommend it to anybody, but just do your planning and price hunting right.

Room Tip: Look for the right price
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

368 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Thai first
La Crosse, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is a very beautiful hotel on the inside. Dark and unwelcoming like all of downtown Minneapolis on the outside. Having traveled quite a bit recently, I may be a bit spoiled by personalized and friendly registration, doorman, valets. So my bar may have been sit a bit higher when I arrived, since I'd been well pampered in the last 12 months.

I was checked in quickly, but without a warm greeting/smile. Simultaneous to that action, a man collapsed in the lobby. One clerk asked another if she should call 911 and the response was 'they will take care of it' (both to me and the other clerk). The poor man, out cold, lifeless was urged "that he must get up". I was promptly checked in, but it was clear the five people standing around the man were not equipped to deal with this. The "you must get up" finally proceeded to "would you like us to call an ambulance". Again, the man was unconscious and hadn't move. Fortunately, by the time I reached my room, an ambulance and fire had arrived. But a disconcerting start.

My questions about reaching the Metrodome were answered perfunctorily, but unenthusiastically (front desk, not concierge, which was unmanned). The room was beautiful, hallways delightful, elevators large and fast. The workout facility was great, but in an isolated location on the top floor. But, did I mention the ambulance that arrived when I got there? Apparently 7th Street is ambulance alley. So screaming ambulances were what I listened to both nights into the wee hours.

The "street life" also was quite loud. (I was on the 8th floor.) Not limited to raucous crowds or street groups, but valets waiting to park cars. (The underground parking, was indeed a Godsend, and very very reasonably priced. Better than any city I've stayed in at $6/night.)

Close to Nicollet Mall, which is completely shut down after dark, except for a Target, and some restaurants. I've always found downtown Minneapolis, while clean, dark and creepy. This weekend no exception.

When I asked the doorman about a debit machine (atm) he answered, but, again, seeming to assume some secret knowledge that I didn't quite understand at first. There is an opening behind the registration area which has restrooms, a public access computer, and the atm. Only, from the doorway it was difficult, for me at least, to know that there was a hallway behind the desk. Generally I found the doorman, part of the front desk people and the parking attendant a bit too urban snotty for my pleasure. I've certainly been treated more kindly, enthusiastically, and attentively from London to Chicago, Toronto, Vancouver, Costa Rica, and even Orlando.

The final thing I would add is if you open your curtains you get to stare squarely at the Marriot across the street. Bottom line, ask for a room not fronting the street. (Not sure if that would help as I heard others complaining on their way out about the ambulance situation, probably to polite to mention the sound of the yells etc. from the street. Urban life. The price for the quality was exceptional, just don't expect lots of charm from the staff. (With the exception of the two women working the front desk- one on check in, one on check out.) The housekeeping staff was efficient as well.

Room Tip: Try not to stay on the 7th Street side if at all possible. Make use of the taxis which are just arou...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Radisson-Rob-Smith, General Manager at Radisson Plaza Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest-

Thank you for your recent stay as well as your TA post. While I regretted reading of some of the challenges you experienced we learn more from frank honest criticism than we do from praise.

I am happy to report that the gentleman you witnessed collapse in the lobby has been released and is doing fine. I will read your comments with our security team to discuss ways we may have reacted differently.

We pride ourselves on our "yes I can" attitudes and I am sorry you experienced anything less. I do assure you that your experience was an anomaly.

We do hope to see you back when you find your travels bring you to the Twin Cities.

Regards-
Rob
Rob Smith
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here. The room was huge, modern, clean and comfortable. The bed and pillows were beeeeeautiful to sleep on. We stayed here as part of a 4 week holiday so we've stayed in lots of different hotels on this trip - the Radisson Plaza Minneapolis was probably the most relaxing and comfortable hotel room from the whole vacation. Very close to the Target Center and other city attractions. 5 stars!

• Stayed March 2013
Summitville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

On a recent visit to Minneapolis we were pleased with our stay at the downtown Radisson Plaza hotel. At many downtown hotels it has been my experience that they are often very impersonal and lack a customer friendly atmosphere. Our experience with this hotel and its staff was outstanding and was the high point of a trip with a rocky start. This hotel is a gem and the staff adds to the wonderful quality of this destination.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rice Lake, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We have stayed here when attending music concerts. The private parking ramp is much appreciated in such a busy area in town. Check-ins are quick and professional, the staff are always courteous, and the rooms have always been clean and quiet with comfortable beds. When you combine how pampered you feel while staying here, along with the wonderful proximity to the Target Center, restaurants and bars, it is the one hotel we will always come back to.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you are looking for a fun downtown Minneapolis hotel, stay here! It is a great location, easy to walk to Target Center, First Ave, Nicollet Mall, bars, restaurants. The rooms are really nice and comfortable. Also, easy to park and cost to park is pretty reasonable. Don't forget to stop at the Candyland store right next store.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntersville, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The service at the Radisson is always fantastic. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Club level is excellent. They have a continental breakfast in the morning, cocktail and hors d'oeuvres early evening and end with desserts at night. I have stayed at this hotel many, times and recommend to others.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Radisson Plaza Hotel Minneapolis? Share your experiences!