“Beautiful hotel- great location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Commons Hotel

You added The Commons Hotel to your Saves list
The Commons Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (Formerly University Hotel Minneapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20% on rooms
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Valley City, North Dakota
“Beautiful hotel- great location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We loved this hotel- there for a conference on campus but would DEFINITELY stay again in the future. My infant son and husband joined me and it worked perfectly for us. They wandered around campus while I was in meetings. There was plenty to do. The gentleman at the front desk (name escapes me!) gave us great suggestions and accurate directions. We appreciated his help very much! It was also awesome to have Starbucks that close :)

Room Tip: We were on 7th floor and didn't hear much noise at all! Loved our King suite.
Green Features: They participated in the towel reuse program, which I appreciate!
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
I’m happy to hear that you came for the conference but would stay again because you loved our hotel! What a great compliment. Thank you so much for your compliments and for mentioning our awesome staff. We look forward to seeing you on all of your future visits! Take care, and thanks again, Kelli.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We live in the suburbs and love staying here whenever our kids have a 3-4 day swim meet at the U of Mn Aquatics Center. Super convenient for the athletes. The Starbucks (on site) and Brueggers (short walk) are open early for pre-meet breakfast foods with lots of other dining options available within a short walk.
We find the rooms quiet & beds comfortable. The Beacon restaurant is wonderful, too!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
The University Rec Center kitty corner to us is certainly convenient for guests, and I’m glad you’re able to take advantage of the premium location. It’s great to hear that we are a fun retreat for your family when you need a break from suburbia! We look forward to seeing you again soon, and thanks for staying with us, Barbara.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The Commons Hotel was an outstanding venue to hold our conference. The staff members were knowledgeable, friendly, efficient, and easy to communicate with. The hotel rooms and ballrooms were unique and well maintained!

David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
We really appreciate conferences choosing to host their events with us and we strive to provide all the amenities and services that attendees and hosts may need. I’m thrilled that everything went so well for your visit and that you enjoyed our meeting spaces. We hope to see you again for any future business trips you may need to take. Thanks again.
Springdale, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

We stayed at the Commons after a college visit to the U of M. The school had a good discounted rate, then I got an even better rate on Priceline. My gps had a little trouble getting us to the right place at first, but we got it figured out. Parking was $15 for self-park or $25 for valet. We had a nice view out the front of the hotel. Many eating establishments nearby. Beds were comfy and the staff was friendly. We checked in a bit late and had to leave right away the next morning to get to our next college visit. I would've like to relax in the room longer. I would stay here again, and will be recommending it to others who frequent the area.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for the recommendation and for staying with us, Alleson! Our roads are definitely windy here, and they tend to confuse GPS technology, but I’m glad you were able to find us. I’m so excited to hear that you enjoyed your short stay, and hopefully you’ll be able to stay with us longer next time. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Skokie, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

The Commons Hotel is pleasant and convenient if visiting or having business at the University of Minnesota. The rooms are clean and well stocked with towels and accessories. Staff are pleasant and helpful. The hotel restaurant and bar are excellent in both food and drink and atmosphere including an outdoor patio. Only distraction is the connected Appleby's which at first appearance seemed to be the hotel's fine dining. Having a room overlooking the mechanicals on the roof were a distraction as well as being opposite the service area. Considering that the hotel was lightly occupied at the time it would have been nice to have a better located room. Like many hotels, I strongly object to there being one bottle of Evian water with the warning it will cost $5.00. In light of the fact that you could cross the street and pay under $2.00 such charges are silly. Limited free wi-fi.

Room Tip: Ask for room looking over entry court.
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for sharing a review with us and for staying at our hotel. I am glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay and that our restaurant and hotel team left a good impression. For your other concerns, if you are able to stay with us again, please let me know and I will make sure that you receive a room that I think you would love. Thanks again, and take care.
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

The staff was friendly, there were no offensive smells, the rooms were comfortable, the carpeting could use and update, the fitness center is in the front lobby for all to watch, but the worse thing was the housekeeping. Normally for the price paid for this hotel the housekeeping staff would get it right in removing used drinking glasses, towel replacement, what to leave and what to toss, etc. In my 4 day stay, there was not one day when all of the pieces of housekeeping was right. On my third day they turned of the refrigerator with my supplies in it and ruined everything. I have had better housekeeping service at other hotels charging half the price.

The good things are..food and service at the Becon was excellent and the hotel is in a great location on campus with many eating places and the train within walking distance. The train goes all the way from the airport to in front of the hotel.

David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
I certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns about your stay with us, Connor. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed the Beacon Public House and the new light rail system in front of the hotel, as well as that our team were friendly and able to assist with everything. That said, I have made sure to pass your comments onto our Director of Housekeeping for review and future training. Thank you again for staying with us, and if you get the opportunity to stay in the future again, we would love to show you everything the Commons can offer.
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Stayed here for a business meeting so the rates were very reasonable and overheard a conversation that they have special "hospital" rates also. The room was very accommodating, clean, comfortable. Location is right on campus but not oppressively so. Light rail right at the corner so easy access downtown and airport . The restaurants nearby equally good and fun. Very nice.

Stayed July 2014
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to write a review, Julie. We do have specials and discounts, and welcome all guests to call our in house reservations agents for the best room and rate for their stay – I’m glad we were able to find the right fit for you. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that ease of access from our location was a bonus for you. I hope to see you in any future trips back to the Twin Cities. Thanks again!

Been to The Commons Hotel? Share your experiences!