“Great location for Big Ten Swimming And Dive Event” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Commons Hotel

You added The Commons Hotel to your Saves list
The Commons Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (Formerly University Hotel Minneapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Make Travel A Pleasure
Ranked #1 of 47 Hotels in Minneapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Plymouth, Michigan
“Great location for Big Ten Swimming And Dive Event”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Just returned from the 2014 Woman's Swimming & Diving at the University of Minnesota. I highly recommend to stay at The Commons Hotel which is directly located across the street from the U of M pool. It was a very cold, icy and snowy weekend. And the very short walk made the weather slightly more bearable . Hotel staff accommodating and there is a decent pub type restaurant located on the premises. Service was good as we had a crowd of swim & dive parents dine one night. The recommended transport for airport return was the "Blue Van" ($18.00) with a $1.60 discount or the LRT (light rail train)-- which unbeknownst by the hotel was not in use due to the Metrodome demolition taking place this morning.

I definitely DO NOT recommend the "Blue Van". 1-800-BLUE-VAN if you want peace of mind getting to the airport on time. It picks up from various hotels, the small print mentions a 15 minute extended time. The van was not at my location within this time frame. I ended up sharing a taxi (i Taxi Service LLC) that was on time and proficient. The cost was $ 50.00. It was well worth the piece of mind. Needless to say, I have requested a refund for this poor service. Food for thought, the same thing happened to another parent and they also ended up hailing a taxi!

Room Tip: Corner rooms may be slightly larger. Would suggest high floor, as we did hear the campus snow plows...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for your recommendation, Kathy! For everyone with business at the Aquatic Center or any of the U of M sport facilities, our location truly can’t be beat, and I’m glad the close proximity kept frostbite away! I’m glad you were able to dine at the restaurant and happy to hear that you enjoyed the food. I do apologize for the confusion with the Blue Van and LRT. The Blue Van can be more convenient but less economical than taking the train, and the train is less convenient but much less expensive, as well. It can be difficult to make the right choice sometimes. I’m happy that the taxi was able to get you to the airport safely, though, and hopefully by the next time you return, the LRT will run to the front our hotel! The new line opens in June.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Spent a night here prior to a surgery at the Uof M. Convenient, easy access to transportation to the hospital early in the morning on a very cold day. Excellent service at the front desk. The attached restaurant is OK in a pinch, but stick to simple bar food. Anything else falls way short. Rooms clean and comfortable. ipod hook up to clock radio really nice and the tv was great for watching movies..Parking at the U is horrible. Take advantage of the valet service. A little more expensive, but worth it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for sharing your insight and experiences here at the hotel. Our location is very convenient for those going to the hospital, and I’m glad you were able to take advantage of our shuttle and valet services to make it even easier. I’m sorry to hear you didn’t love the restaurant; next time, we can try to share our recommendations and find something that hits the spot! I’m happy to hear that you liked the electronics in the room; some of them are new additions, so it’s exciting to hear that you enjoyed them. Thanks again, and we hope to see you soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

This is our fourth stay here and enjoy rooms and location. Right next to new train system being built. Appreciate parking right outside hotel. Heard that rooms had keurig coffee machines in rooms but when we checked in found old type. Talked to housekeeping and they brought one in right away. Disappointed that they do not always leave 2 caffeinated coffees in room. It seems to be policy that you always have to ask for an extra. Had problem with smart tv system that someone had to come to room to fix. Heard from many that this was a common problem with this system. Appreciate free van service to and from local areas. This can save on parking problems when going out to areas in downtown.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Davin, thanks for taking the time to leave both compliments and comments on what could be improved. The new train system you mentioned will be running on June 14th, which is pretty exciting and very convenient. The Keurig coffee makers are a new addition to our rooms, and I apologize that it hadn’t quite made it to your room yet, but they will be a permanent addition to the hotel. We also just added multiple flavors of coffee K-Cups for sale in our gift shop. I do apologize for the issue with your TV – we are certainly working to improve this system. Thanks again for staying with us, and we hope to see you again!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

When I made the reservation, the person asked if there was any special requests I had for my stay. I told him I liked plain M & M's, and laughed. When we checked in, the service was fast and friendly. In the room, there were two packs of plain M & M's waiting for me! It was not necessary, but just shows you that they listened and followed through on their question. The room was fine. I would appreciate a stronger force of water from the showerhead, and a taller person will have to bend down to get under the water, but these were minor things. The accommodations were modern and clean. The location was perfect for our needs. The hotel is close to everything at the University and there are many food options close by. There is also public transportation and plenty of parking for $15/day with in/out access. The food at the hotel restaurant, The Beacon, was good and there were many options, although they need to offer more vegetarian items. Service was slow, but they told us ahead of time they were short-staffed. I would go back there again. The fitness room was well stocked with towels and water, and there was no waiting for any of the machines. It was clean and modern, like everything in the hotel.

Green Features: They were very good on green practices, but they should absolutely get rid of the bottled water for sale in the room. It goes against all their other practices.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to mention such a nice gesture. Our reservationists work hard to try to accommodate even before you’ve stepped into the hotel, and I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed the M & M’s. I will take into account the comments about the room and the Beacon restaurant, and I appreciate you mentioning these tips. Much appreciation again, and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon!
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Everything was perfect. However location is a bit off downtown. Since I had to go to convention center Minneapolis each day for me that was not convenient. I must say also that since I come from Europe it would be convenient also that they consider buying few electrical adapters for European guests devices. I forgot my own :)
I was happy with my staying.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sara, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience at the hotel, despite the fact that we weren’t too close to where you needed to be. Did you know that we have a courtesy shuttle that goes to the downtown area, including the convention center? If your travels bring you back to our hotel, our shuttle drivers would be more than happy to make sure you can get to where you need to be, when you need to be there. As for the European electrical adapters, I appreciate you mentioning them, and we will try to keep them stocked up. Thanks so much for commenting, and we hope to accommodate you in the future. Hope you had safe travels back to Europe!
Dubuque, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

We stayed at this hotel two years ago. We were very disappointed with the facility. A year ago when in the area,we met friends for a drink before an event and we were pleasantly surprised at the changes. Decided to give it another try this year. Hotel is beautiful, rooms are roomy and nicely decorated. Have eaten in the restaurant twice and very impressed with the menu. Food was great. Used the hotel shuttle as well and had an awesome driver-Trevor. Very pleasant and helpful. Only negative was trouble with the Internet in our room. The staff at the desk is also very friendly and helpful. Definitely will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
It’s funny that you mentioned the hotel from two years ago, Donnelle, as that was the Radisson Hotel before we renovated. I am happy to hear that our renovations have reversed your opinion of the hotel, and that you enjoyed the Beacon so much that you even decided to book a room reservation. Trevor at the bellstand truly is an asset to our team and wonderful with guests, and I will make sure to let him know that you mentioned him. Internet is always tricky (can’t live with it, can’t live without it), but I’m glad the front desk staff were able to help you resolve your problem. When you stay here again, we will surely be excited to welcome you back. Thanks again!
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I stayed at The Commons hotel when I took my son up to visit the university, but will return whether he chooses to go there or not. It is a very professionally run, clean, up to date hotel. The staff at the desk were over the top helpful, and gave us maps for everywhere we needed to go. The lobby is absolutely gorgeous, and there is a Starbucks right outside it. Do not hesitate staying here. They were testing the light rail the days I was there and that was so very interesting!

Room Tip: I liked seeing the light rail station right outside our room!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to leave us such wonderful compliments! We are truly lucky to have such stellar staff, and I am glad they were able to assist you during your stay. The Starbucks is certainly convenient—we are frequently there as well—and we are also pretty excited for the light rail to start running regularly. We look forward to welcoming you on your next trip up!

Been to The Commons Hotel? Share your experiences!