“Great on campus hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Commons Hotel

You added The Commons Hotel to your Saves list
The Commons Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (Formerly University Hotel Minneapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20% on rooms
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Oak Park, Illinois
“Great on campus hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Found this hotel through Stash Rewards -- so glad they added this property to the program. Very convenient to the U of MN -- easy walk to the Weisman Art Museum which is well worth seeing. Nice friendly lobby, quirky fun store -- far more than just the toothbrush you forgot. Already planning my next trip. Hope I can get space at graduation…. Only mild complaint was I wish they had reading lights on both sides of the bed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you for your comments and suggestions! I am delighted to hear you had a great trip to campus, and enjoyed your stay. If you have trouble booking for graduation, please call on me, or any member of my reservations team. We would love to host you again. Thanks for your business!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Went to go see the bears play on December 1st. Wife and I stayed Saturday night. The hotel is modern, upscale and trendy. I guess it used to be a ramada and has been converted. Right in the middle of the university and a 10 min drive to the Vikings stadium.

The service is great and they offer a shuttle that will take you anywhere within 5 miles. We took it downtown for dinner. There is a Starbucks right next to them, a Tcf bank and a bunch of places to eat.

I would definitely consider staying there again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for staying with us! I'm glad you had an awesome time. Starting with the 2014 season of the Vikings, we will be an even more awesome place to stay, because they will be at TCF Bank Stadium, which is a two block walk from the hotel. We hope to see you back then!
Kiel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We just returned from a two night stay after attending the Wis-Mn football game on Saturday, and we were very satisfied with our stay. The biggest plus, was that we could park our car after a six hour drive, and not have to use it again until check-out. Our king room faced the adjacent wellness facility; the hotel provided complimentary passed to the rec center, and what a fantastic place! We used it several times during our stay. The stadium, and many restaurants and campus buildings were an easy walk from the hotel. All of the staff that we encountered were pleasant and helpful. The only negative was that it was a bit pricey, and it would be helpful to offer a AAA discount. But we would return again if we were attending any event at the U, or visiting the area.

Room Tip: Loved our view of the wellness facility and we could see a section of the stadium as well.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for staying with us! I am glad you enjoyed the coldest game TCF Bank Stadium has ever hosted! Hopefully you were able to enjoy our indoor tailgate party in the lobby. On your next trip to Minneapolis, we would be honored to welcome you back. Thank you for your review.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I had stayed at the old Radisson hotel several times before this visit. In general, the renovation has done a lot of good.The rooms have a more contemporary feel, they are well appointed and spacious. I was somewhat surprised to see the burning cauldrons in front and in the lobby. Heating the outdoors does not make much sense, and I wonder why we should release more CO2 into the atmosphere than necessary. But my overall experience during a four-night stay was very good. There is an Applebee as well as a Starbucks inside the building, and there are plenty of cheap eats in the area. I did not have an opportunity to try the in-house restaurant. The hotel has a nice exercise room and offers passes to the nearby swimming pool. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Once the Light Rail is operational, it will be a breeze to get to the hotel from the airport.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the athletic facility, other rooms look into the parking garage across the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to see you enjoyed your visit. We have changed quite a bit over the last year. We are delighted to see you liked the end result. Next time, I hope you are able to experience our Gastropub, Beacon Public House. Thank you for your business!
Dana Point, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

The staff at this hotel are incredible! My daughter and her swim team spent 5 days at this hotel for a meet that was held at the University of MN. My daughter's birthday fell on the Saturday they were there. I contacted the hotel in advance to see if they could do something to make her birthday a little bit special since we couldn't be there with her. They responded immediately with a very gracious offer and put together a complimentary gift bag w/a card from us. Her day was made special by her friends and teammates there, and thanks to the staff at The Commons, she knew we too were wishing her happiness on her day as well! Plus to top it off she achieved two best times that day - so I would have to suggest that the accommodations were also exemplary! Thank you Commons Staff!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to recognize the efforts of our team. It was our pleasure to make your daughter's special day memorable. Thank you for the opportunity. Please pass on our congratulations for her best times! We look forward to welcoming her back soon. Thank you again for your review.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed for 5 days on a conference at the University, held in the hotel itself. Nice hotel, interesting decor, especially the open fireplace in the lobby and one just outside! The area around the campus is nice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
I'm glad you had a great trip to campus, AGautam! I hope that you had an equally productive visit, and that your conference was a success. When travels return you to Minneapolis, we look forward to seeing you again! Thanks for your review!
Chapel Hill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip, visiting the university. A very convenient walk to the campus, convenient walk to a variety of eateries. The decor and furnishings were nice, contemporary, clean appearance. The exercise facilities were good, decent variety of aerobics equipment, some weight machines - it was empty the two times that I went there. Internet was free, signal strength was good. The staff was friendly and helpful. Overall, a very pleasant place to stay, I would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for recommending our hotel to the Trip Advisor community. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your business trip to the University. I hope when travels return you to Minneapolis again, you will choose us as your home away from home. Thank you for staying with us!

Been to The Commons Hotel? Share your experiences!