“Nice updates” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Commons Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Commons Hotel to your Saves list
The Commons Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (Formerly University Hotel Minneapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up to 20% savings
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Nice updates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel before it was the Commons and they have done a nice job with the remodeling. It is in a great location on campus. We stayed there to move our son to campus and were able to park the trailer that we had in the adjacent parking garage. The rooms are quiet and the beds are comfortable. The Starbucks in the lobby is very handy. We got a great deal during the summer sale. I can't justify the regular price, but we will stay here when we get a deal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent visit! I am glad move in weekend went well for you and your son. When your travels return you to the University, please call on us. Our reservations agents will be able to help you find the rate/package that best suits you. Thank you for your business! We look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stay here every time we visit my son at the University of Minnesota. The Commons is centrally located ON the campus, always very clean and the staff (I am guessing some are students) is always friendly and helpful. And, as a bonus, The Beacon restaurant is in the hotel lobby and serves creative, fresh and delicious "pub grub". Advice: book early as the hotel fills up with Orientation visitors and sporting events. I booked in May for Homecoming and Parents weekend at the University rate. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Every time I've stayed the rooms have been quiet, clean and decorated in a cool industrial schoo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments on our hotel and restaurant. I am glad you enjoyed your visit! Our website does offer some great specials, as well as value added packages. If you haven't been to campus yet during a football game, you should give it a try! We are even going to host tailgating in our front entry circle this year. Thank you for your business, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Decorah, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I and our five-year-old son stayed at the Commons for two nights a few weeks back to visit some of our favorite spots in the Twin Cities. We moved away a few years ago and love coming back. We had a great room and the service was excellent.

When we got home, we realized that we'd left our son's favorite stuffed toy there, so I called. I spoke with Megan at the Commons and she said she'd check as the room hadn't yet been gone through. She called back in 10 minutes with the good news that our dolphin had been found and that they'd send it to us. Awesome.

What could be better than that? Oh, I don't know, How about receiving Dolphin in the mail a few days later with a book of photos chronicling his adventures at the hotel? Megan and the Commons staff took Dolphin around and snapped photos of him working out in the gym, having coffee, hanging out with the customer service folks. It was hilarious and thoughtful. And, most importantly, it made my son's day. He laughed and laughed and we've reread the story a hundred times now.

It's nice to know that such a human and thoughtful thing was done by a hotel staff that didn't know us beyond our names in the register.

Thanks Commons Hotel. That was a classy move.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share these comments. I am glad the team took great care of your son's Dolphin on his unexpected stay-over with us. Meagan is a spirited member of our staff, and I will make sure the team receives proper recognition for their efforts. We hope to see the entire family back soon. Thank you for staying with us!
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here one night for the occasion of moving my son to U of MN. I did get a special price for one night from one of those websites (groupon, social living, etc) so it was much less expensive than the advertised price. The lobby is very tastefully decorated as well as the room itself, quite lovely. Parking is provided behind and on the side of the hotel (included with my special but normally not I believe). There are restaurants right across the street as well as in the hotel itself though I did not eat there. There is also a Starbucks attached to the hotel- fantastic for morning coffee!!
There were some problems however and I was tempted to make it a 3 star due to these things, but the convenient location, starbucks and decor won out. The bed was hard and I woke with a backache (though some people prefer firm beds). The room did not appear well vacuumed- there were some crumbs near the bed, a ribbon under the TV cabinet and a piece of plastic near the wall. There was also a clicking noise about every 15 minutes that was somewhere in the room as well as a red blinking light (smoke detector) on the wall right above the TV- both annoying. There was a bottle of Evian water on the dresser that was labeled $5.00 rather than a complimentary bottle of water as seen in many hotels. For the usual advertised room rate- this seems tacky to me.
Otherwise, it was beautiful. I was happy with the rate that I secured but would not be if this were the usual rate which is well above $200 nightly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your candid review! Comments such as yours help us on our quest to become the #1 Hotel in Minneapolis. I am glad you had a pleasant visit to the campus. I have passed on your feedback to the appropriate departments, so we can be ready for your next visit. Thank you for your business!
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very comfortable. In walking distance to restaurants and University events. Starbucks on main level. Rooms were small but clean. With all the events going on the week we were there and the hotel sold out, we found it to be a very quiet hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in Minneapolis. When you start planning your return to Minneapolis, we would be delighted to be included in your plans again. Thank you for your business!
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We just spent a wonderful three days at The Commons and are eager to return. The campus vibe is so appealing and the short walk to campus venues is such a plus. All amenities are so convenient. Food at The Beacon is delicious, trendy and fun. Our room was so attractive and comfortable and we boast the "best sleep around". The staff treated us so well and a special note to Trevor, media services, for his helpful information. Kelly made a distinct effort to welcome us to the property and we certainly appreciated that personal touch. I am already busy planning our next adventure at the beautiful and newly updated hotel...The Commons. See you all soon.

Earlene and Larry, Rochester

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Earlene and Larry, thank you for your comments! I am delighted to hear that Kelly and Trevor took great care of you. They are truly assets to our team. If you need any assistance planning your return trip, please call on us. We would be delighted to assist you. See you soon! -The Commons Team
Wyoming, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Commons is found in the heart of the University of MN and downtown Minneapolis. It is a beautiful hotel full of posh finishing that make you feel pampered. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We ate at their restaurant, the Beacon Public House and it was very satisfactory.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience here on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your recent trip to Minneapolis. I am delighted to hear that you felt well pampered on your visit to campus. I hope that if your travels return you to Minneapolis again, we will be your first choice. The team would be honored to welcome you back. Thank you for your business!

Been to The Commons Hotel? Share your experiences!