“Beautiful decor on campus” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Commons Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Commons Hotel to your Saves list
The Commons Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (Formerly University Hotel Minneapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
10% OFF & Free WiFi
Ranked #2 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Milwaukee, WI
“Beautiful decor on campus”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here one night for the occasion of moving my son to U of MN. I did get a special price for one night from one of those websites (groupon, social living, etc) so it was much less expensive than the advertised price. The lobby is very tastefully decorated as well as the room itself, quite lovely. Parking is provided behind and on the side of the hotel (included with my special but normally not I believe). There are restaurants right across the street as well as in the hotel itself though I did not eat there. There is also a Starbucks attached to the hotel- fantastic for morning coffee!!
There were some problems however and I was tempted to make it a 3 star due to these things, but the convenient location, starbucks and decor won out. The bed was hard and I woke with a backache (though some people prefer firm beds). The room did not appear well vacuumed- there were some crumbs near the bed, a ribbon under the TV cabinet and a piece of plastic near the wall. There was also a clicking noise about every 15 minutes that was somewhere in the room as well as a red blinking light (smoke detector) on the wall right above the TV- both annoying. There was a bottle of Evian water on the dresser that was labeled $5.00 rather than a complimentary bottle of water as seen in many hotels. For the usual advertised room rate- this seems tacky to me.
Otherwise, it was beautiful. I was happy with the rate that I secured but would not be if this were the usual rate which is well above $200 nightly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for your candid review! Comments such as yours help us on our quest to become the #1 Hotel in Minneapolis. I am glad you had a pleasant visit to the campus. I have passed on your feedback to the appropriate departments, so we can be ready for your next visit. Thank you for your business!

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very comfortable. In walking distance to restaurants and University events. Starbucks on main level. Rooms were small but clean. With all the events going on the week we were there and the hotel sold out, we found it to be a very quiet hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in Minneapolis. When you start planning your return to Minneapolis, we would be delighted to be included in your plans again. Thank you for your business!
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We just spent a wonderful three days at The Commons and are eager to return. The campus vibe is so appealing and the short walk to campus venues is such a plus. All amenities are so convenient. Food at The Beacon is delicious, trendy and fun. Our room was so attractive and comfortable and we boast the "best sleep around". The staff treated us so well and a special note to Trevor, media services, for his helpful information. Kelly made a distinct effort to welcome us to the property and we certainly appreciated that personal touch. I am already busy planning our next adventure at the beautiful and newly updated hotel...The Commons. See you all soon.

Earlene and Larry, Rochester

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Earlene and Larry, thank you for your comments! I am delighted to hear that Kelly and Trevor took great care of you. They are truly assets to our team. If you need any assistance planning your return trip, please call on us. We would be delighted to assist you. See you soon! -The Commons Team
Wyoming, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Commons is found in the heart of the University of MN and downtown Minneapolis. It is a beautiful hotel full of posh finishing that make you feel pampered. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We ate at their restaurant, the Beacon Public House and it was very satisfactory.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience here on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your recent trip to Minneapolis. I am delighted to hear that you felt well pampered on your visit to campus. I hope that if your travels return you to Minneapolis again, we will be your first choice. The team would be honored to welcome you back. Thank you for your business!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Thomas was the best bartender I've ever had. After my first drink, Thomas made a connection and made sure I was taken care of all night. I would highly recommend The Commons for any wedding, especially if Thomas is bartending.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to recognize Thomas at the wedding you just attended. I will make sure that he gets the recognition he deserves. I am glad you were well cared for, and enjoyed your event. We hope to see you again soon!
Wilmette, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I love this place! I dropped my son off to University of Minnesota here and I have to say, the staff was so comforting and helpful! We came from out of state and bought many of his supplies in town. The front desk girls recommended places for us to shop, and the incredible shuttle providers dropped us off, picked us up, and helped deliver our (many) bags and boxes to his dorm. On the way out - I was a bit emotional. The concierge arranged to have their onsite car service take me to the airport. I forget his name, but he was so kind! I had forgotten exactly how much cash I had left in my wallet (and how much I had given to my college boy) so I was a little short when he dropped me off. I offered to get $$ out of the cash machine in the airport, but he drove off without getting his full fee - not to mention no tip. I would love his name and address so that I could send him the rest of the fare.

I love the decor of this place - simple and elegant. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to eat at the Beacon, but we will do so when I return for parent's weekend.

Thanks again from the mom who was crying in the lobby - it wasn't you!

Room Tip: I loved facing the front, however there was construction going on, so a bit noisy in the morning. N...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We were honored to be part of your visit to Minneapolis, Heather! Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us. The team is delighted that you thought so highly of them, and can't wait for your next visit. Thank you for your business!
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Anyone who stayed at this hotel under the previous ownership will appreciate the changes - greatly needed changes - Made by the Noble House corporation. Enhancements in service, accommodations, and amenities are immediately evident. There was a bit of difficulty getting a room with my exact specifications, but Elizabeth (front desk) worked hard, and made it happen. I was very pleased with the process, and the fine people there.

The restaurant, Beacon, is a complete reversal of what was there before, and excels. With the eclectic menu, and the execution of dishes by the kitchen - was it Chef Bruno?- Beacon would be a success almost anywhere. If I knew how, I would post some pics of the many dishes I enjoyed during my stay. Maybe I'll learn, but the important thing is that the restaurant, dubbed "Geek Chic", shines. Alex and Andy at the bar are fine representatives of the place. Sit at bar and enjoy the company they provide. Andy is really creative with new drinks, ask him to make one for you.

Looking forward to my next visit, thanks for a very nice stay Commons.

Room Tip: You can use the gym facilities at the University of Minnesota, just next to the hotel. The entire im...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
We at Noble House Hotels and Resorts are proud to be here at the University of Minnesota! Thank you for commenting on your recent stay which showcased the outcome of an $18 million transformation. I am so glad you were well cared for by Elizabeth. She is a shining star on our front desk team, and I will make sure to give her the appropriate recognition. When travels return you to Minneapolis, I hope to see you again. Thanks again for your business!

Been to The Commons Hotel? Share your experiences!