“Pleasant hotel on the UMinn campus” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Commons Hotel

You added The Commons Hotel to your Saves list
The Commons Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (Formerly University Hotel Minneapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Make Travel A Pleasure
Ranked #1 of 47 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Waterloo, Ontario
“Pleasant hotel on the UMinn campus”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was really very impressed by this hotel, which is actually on the University of Minnesota's "east bank" campus in central Minneapolis. Particularly I was impressed by the level of service it provided to the convention I was attending -- including, of all things, free s'mores served up by chefs in tall white hats to celebrate National S'mores Day. The convention organizers just couldn't say enough about how helpful the hotel staff had been, and I believe them.

The decor is new and attractive (I particularly liked the club-like chairs in one section of the lobby, although it seems odd to have two fires, one outdoors and one indoors, burning in the middle of August). The front desk service is quick and helpful. The wifi works perfectly. Staff are responsive to problems -- I phoned down because I couldn't figure out how to make the high-tech alarm clock work, and five minutes later there was a cheerful technician knocking on my door. The general atmosphere is a bit geeky, with scientific slogans posted here and there. I was actually a bit annoyed that there was no brochure in the room listing the hotel's services, but it turns out that "all that informtion is available via the television."

At the same time, there were a lot of little imperfections. Well, some weren't so little. I found the bed uncomfortable, although that could have been because the two beds in my room were doubles rather than queens, and I'm fairly tall. I found it impossible to get the room cool enough, even though it was frigid in the hotel's public areas. I couldn't seem to get clean drinking glasses, although I was just about buried in nice clean towels. The desk chair wasn't comfortable, and the trendy asymmetrical shape of the desk didn't altogether make up for that. I once walked out of the Beacon, the lobby bar-restaurant, because it was taking so long to get coffee one morning that I despaired of ever getting breakfast at all. (Other days were better.)

And more: the kleenex were basically impossible to get out of the dispenser. The water pressure is weirdly low. The hotel doesn't have a guest laundry. That last problem probably reflects the hotel's preferred identity as a downtown hotel (even though it's not downtown) rather than a motel. The same factor would explain why parking costs extra ($15 a day). The advantage of the Commons being in a mature area of the city, not out in an industrial park by the interstate, is that it's easy to walk across Washington Avenue to find various restaurants and other businesses. I might point out Bruegger's Bagels and, a block further east, a large CVS pharmacy with a grocery section.

I'm sure it's driving the hotel management crazy that Washington Avenue is largely blocked off for light-rapid-transit construction. Getting to the hotel is perfectly possible (the key is to come from the south via Harvard Street0 but a bit frustrating. I would certainly stay here again when in Minneapolis.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your candid review of your recent stay with us. The team takes all suggestions to heart, and I thank you for sharing yours with us. I'm glad you found our location to be great, and our staff to be responsive to your needs. When travels return you to Minneapolis, I hope that you will consider The Commons Hotel again. The light rail should be fully functional in 2014, and will provide awesome access to Downtown, The Airport, and The Mall of America! Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We held an two day event with up to 170 people and the staff was fantastic. We used the Meridian Ballroom all day Saturday, held a banquet there Saturday night, and the conference continued for a half day Sunday. The event staff worked well with us throughout the process, including a big increase in numbers in the last two weeks. The service staff were accommodating, helpful and efficient, including serving good food on Saturday night. The staff really got into the theme of the conference when they accessorized the coffee/soda table and the banquet tables on Saturday night. Our audio visual needs varied from a podium with microphone to a full blown stage with multiple microphones for a performance and all were done swiftly and with a smile. May of the attendees urged us to hold our next conference at the Commons.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review, and for holding your conference with us! The team had so much fun with your event. We can't wait to have you back when your event returns to Minneapolis! Thank you again for your business!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed here for business and was very pleased. Clean, modern rooms with an attentive staff. I had asked for some extras during booking. About five minutes after I checked in my towels, etc. were delivered to me. The restaurant and bar on property were very good. Only thing was the housekeeping--replenished only certain things. Loaded with wash cloths, but no hand towels. The area itself is very nice. Since I was only there for business I can't really comment on their location relevant to sightseeing. I would definitely recommend this property.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor! I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and you found our staff to be helpful and attentive. Sorry we missed your hand towels. I will make sure that is corrected on your next stay. Hope to see you again soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here a week for work. It was the hotel closest to where I had to be at the University of Minnesota for meetings, so got the UofM university rate, which came with a nice, albeit largely useless, welcome gift ($5 credit to the hotel restaurant very appreciated, microwave popcorn not useful in a room without a microwave?). Nice, updated rooms, good location, very friendly staff - however, there were some glitches that really dampened my experience, particularly given the high prices I paid (yes, even with the University rate). The first major issue was the shuttle - I was coming from the airport, so was told to just call once I got on the light rail so they could meet me at the station closest to the hotel, no reservations needed. I followed their instructions... and was told that because I hadn't made reservations, I'd need to wait until there was an available shuttle to pick me up. The 15 minute wait seemed reasonable.. but when it approached an hour (!! I don't know why I waited so long either, I was tired and wasn't thinking straight), I gave up and took the bus instead. When I complained about this at check-in, they said that just that morning, they had a staff meeting about the issues with the shuttle. While I appreciate that it is a free service, given its incredible unreliability (3 out of the 4 times I had pre-arranged a pickup, the shuttle was over 20 minutes late), they need to seriously reconsider how they operate it. Even just getting a phone call letting me know they were on their way, but running behind, would have sufficed. Housekeeping was also unreliable - sometimes my room was nicely made up, sometimes they took all the towels and didn't provide me with new ones. And finally, staff at the restaurant was generally uninformed about the dining specials (I ate there twice over the course of the stay) and service dragged. If I could give this place half stars, I'd give it a 3.5, but don't feel that I can even round it up to 4 stars given the price paid vs. service received.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. Feedback such as yours helps grow our team to be the best in Minneapolis. I can't imagine the frustration of having to wait for our complimentary shuttle service. I am so sorry this is how we welcomed you to our hotel. I have also passed on your housekeeping concerns to our Housekeeping department. I hope that when your travels return you to the University, that you will give our hotel another chance to become your favorite destination in the cities. Thank you again for sharing your candid feedback.
Ithaca, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed there for a few days while on a business trip to U of MN, and it was a good experience. Location is very convenient - on the edge of campus, with many cafe/restaurant/bar options within an easy walk. My room was large, clean, and airy. Everything worked. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. There were a few minor hiccups - a dirty room service tray was not removed when the room was cleaned, the do not disturb sign was not provided and had to be called for - minor details but something you would expect to be automatic at this price point, hence 4 stars. I would still recommend this hotel with no hesitation though.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am happy to see you had a productive stay with us. Thank you for your suggestions; I have forwarded them on to our Housekeeping department. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My Daughter was graduating and we were coming from out of state to celebrate. The Commons Hotel offered a home-like atmosphere in the suite, where seven of us could hang out and chat before and after dinner. The post graduation dinner was held in their restaurant, Beacon Public House, and was excellent right down to dessert. Comfortable, architecturally pleasing, with an exceptional little gift shop! More than I'd usually spend for an overnight sleep, but well worth it for this special occasion!

Room Tip: Go on line for hotel specials
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Congratulations on your daughter's graduation! I am delighted that you chose The Commons Hotel during this important event. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your experience with us. If your travels return you back to Minneapolis for Alumni Events, Sightseeing, or Football Games, I hope that you will stay with us again! Thank you for your business.
San Mateo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Excellent location, wonderful friendly, courteous and helpful staff. Room was very clean (and I'm very, very picky!) and couldn't be better location for UMN. Stayed for 3 nights with daughter and will be returning in one month and will definitely be staying here again. I expect this will be my family's go to hotel for the next two years whenever we visit our daughter. If you stay here, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you had an enjoyable orientation weekend! We can't wait to see you back on your return trips to Minneapolis. Thank you for staying with us!

Been to The Commons Hotel? Share your experiences!