“Nice all around property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Commons Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Commons Hotel to your Saves list
The Commons Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (Formerly University Hotel Minneapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
10% OFF & Free WiFi
Ranked #2 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice all around property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed here for business and was very pleased. Clean, modern rooms with an attentive staff. I had asked for some extras during booking. About five minutes after I checked in my towels, etc. were delivered to me. The restaurant and bar on property were very good. Only thing was the housekeeping--replenished only certain things. Loaded with wash cloths, but no hand towels. The area itself is very nice. Since I was only there for business I can't really comment on their location relevant to sightseeing. I would definitely recommend this property.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor! I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and you found our staff to be helpful and attentive. Sorry we missed your hand towels. I will make sure that is corrected on your next stay. Hope to see you again soon!

262 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here a week for work. It was the hotel closest to where I had to be at the University of Minnesota for meetings, so got the UofM university rate, which came with a nice, albeit largely useless, welcome gift ($5 credit to the hotel restaurant very appreciated, microwave popcorn not useful in a room without a microwave?). Nice, updated rooms, good location, very friendly staff - however, there were some glitches that really dampened my experience, particularly given the high prices I paid (yes, even with the University rate). The first major issue was the shuttle - I was coming from the airport, so was told to just call once I got on the light rail so they could meet me at the station closest to the hotel, no reservations needed. I followed their instructions... and was told that because I hadn't made reservations, I'd need to wait until there was an available shuttle to pick me up. The 15 minute wait seemed reasonable.. but when it approached an hour (!! I don't know why I waited so long either, I was tired and wasn't thinking straight), I gave up and took the bus instead. When I complained about this at check-in, they said that just that morning, they had a staff meeting about the issues with the shuttle. While I appreciate that it is a free service, given its incredible unreliability (3 out of the 4 times I had pre-arranged a pickup, the shuttle was over 20 minutes late), they need to seriously reconsider how they operate it. Even just getting a phone call letting me know they were on their way, but running behind, would have sufficed. Housekeeping was also unreliable - sometimes my room was nicely made up, sometimes they took all the towels and didn't provide me with new ones. And finally, staff at the restaurant was generally uninformed about the dining specials (I ate there twice over the course of the stay) and service dragged. If I could give this place half stars, I'd give it a 3.5, but don't feel that I can even round it up to 4 stars given the price paid vs. service received.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. Feedback such as yours helps grow our team to be the best in Minneapolis. I can't imagine the frustration of having to wait for our complimentary shuttle service. I am so sorry this is how we welcomed you to our hotel. I have also passed on your housekeeping concerns to our Housekeeping department. I hope that when your travels return you to the University, that you will give our hotel another chance to become your favorite destination in the cities. Thank you again for sharing your candid feedback.
Ithaca, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed there for a few days while on a business trip to U of MN, and it was a good experience. Location is very convenient - on the edge of campus, with many cafe/restaurant/bar options within an easy walk. My room was large, clean, and airy. Everything worked. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. There were a few minor hiccups - a dirty room service tray was not removed when the room was cleaned, the do not disturb sign was not provided and had to be called for - minor details but something you would expect to be automatic at this price point, hence 4 stars. I would still recommend this hotel with no hesitation though.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am happy to see you had a productive stay with us. Thank you for your suggestions; I have forwarded them on to our Housekeeping department. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My Daughter was graduating and we were coming from out of state to celebrate. The Commons Hotel offered a home-like atmosphere in the suite, where seven of us could hang out and chat before and after dinner. The post graduation dinner was held in their restaurant, Beacon Public House, and was excellent right down to dessert. Comfortable, architecturally pleasing, with an exceptional little gift shop! More than I'd usually spend for an overnight sleep, but well worth it for this special occasion!

Room Tip: Go on line for hotel specials
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Congratulations on your daughter's graduation! I am delighted that you chose The Commons Hotel during this important event. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your experience with us. If your travels return you back to Minneapolis for Alumni Events, Sightseeing, or Football Games, I hope that you will stay with us again! Thank you for your business.
San Mateo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Excellent location, wonderful friendly, courteous and helpful staff. Room was very clean (and I'm very, very picky!) and couldn't be better location for UMN. Stayed for 3 nights with daughter and will be returning in one month and will definitely be staying here again. I expect this will be my family's go to hotel for the next two years whenever we visit our daughter. If you stay here, you won't be disappointed!

David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you had an enjoyable orientation weekend! We can't wait to see you back on your return trips to Minneapolis. Thank you for staying with us!
Weber City, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Beautiful makeover gives the hotel the feel of a new facility, while the service is that of a seasoned professional staff. I was there for a conference, and the service was impeccable. Conference rooms were checked at each break. Lunch was spectacular, both the food and the personal service. Heidi is a jewel!
The rooms are beautiful and very comfortable. Your ipod or ipad can be docked in the alarm clock to play or to charge. There is a new fitness room down stairs, and Internet is available in your room, both at no extra charge. So you get the feel of luxury without being nickeled and dimed for using the amenities as you do at most resort hotels. I love that!

David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive comments about our hotel. It means the world to the staff to see their hard work help guests have an extraordinary experience. We are lucky to have employees like Heidi, and I will make sure she receives appropriate recognition for a job well done. Thank you for staying with us!
Tempe, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed for two nights and thoroughly enjoyed the room. Despite all of the construction going on because of the new light rail system, my experience was none the worse for wear. All the furnishings were comfortable and well-maintained. The room was stylish without being pretentious. Also, the staff that ran the front desk were always friendly and professional. My only criticism is with housekeeping. Whomever worked the third floor, left me with dirty drinking glasses. Then, on the day of my departure, was banging on my door at 8:15 am. I told her that I was still getting ready. She banged some more. I said again, “I’m still getting dressed!” “Huh?” she said. “I’m not ready yet.” Because I still needed to finish packing, as well as get some breakfast, I put the “do not disturb” sign on the doorknob. Five minutes later the maid was banging on the door again. I opened it and the maid asked, “When you leaving?” “Check out time is noon isn’t it?” “Oh, okay,” she said with stress in her voice. Then, when I was standing at the elevator, which was next to my room—I was on my way to breakfast—the maid spotted me and asked, “You leaving now?” I shook my head. “Oh, okay,” she said again with the same disappointed tone. Anyway, other than that, the hotel was pretty good.

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor.
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your business, and for posting your experience on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I have passed your comments on to our Executive Housekeeper. It is never our intention to make a guest feel rushed on their day of departure. My apologies. I hope that you will consider us again when travels return you to Minneapolis!

Been to The Commons Hotel? Share your experiences!