“Really enjoyed this hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Commons Hotel

You added The Commons Hotel to your Saves list
The Commons Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (Formerly University Hotel Minneapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20% on rooms
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Halifax
“Really enjoyed this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was placed in this Hotel by the Housing Bureau for the recent HITEC conference in June 2013. What a pleasant surprise. My expectations were very low as I was happy to have a room with the city sold-out.

What a fantastic surprise! This hotel was beautifully renovated and the staff were conscientious. My room was well presented, the beds comfortable, and the Wifi was free. I would definitely return.

I will admit, that is it was a $12-15 cab to my conference daily but I enjoyed the location on the University of Minnesota campus. I am a runner and had lots of outdoor options each morning in a very safe neighbourhood. There was even a Jamba Juice across the street for post-run smoothies.

My only negative was the television. As noted in the previous review it did cut in and out. I did not use it after the first day as a result.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
The team is glad you really enjoyed your stay! We were happy to be able to host guest from HITEC, and are thankful you took the time to share your experience. We look forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Wheaton, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The staff was fantastic, in particular Beth at the front desk- Beth made our reservations for us, was there for us at check in and after we checked out, we realized we had forgotten something in our room-- Beth recognized who we were immediately and Beth went up to the room, found the item (cell phone charger) and greeted us in the lobby with it! Beth is the best!!!!!

The hotel was clean, up to date, and very nicely decorated. We will be back for sure. First class.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to recognize our associate, Beth! She is a great member of our team. I will make sure she gets the appropriate recognition! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to your return!
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Clean modern rooms. Lobby has lots of comfortable seating: good for meeting with colleagues and hanging out before late flight. Great location for campus business trip, lovely walking trails across the Mississippi and free admission to Gehry designed campus art museum were unexpected bonuses! Downside: Staff at the front desk lacked knowledge of restaurant options beyond campus which was a little disappointing as I would have liked to explore more of the city.

Room Tip: Rooms away from elevator should be considered for light sleepers as the elevators bings loudly when...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Commons Hotel! I am glad you got to enjoy our newly transformend property, and the unique University venues you mentioned in your review. Next time, make sure to take time to visit the Weisman Art Museum as well as the Bell Museum of Natrual history. Thank you for your suggestions. We will review them at our next front office meeting. We look forward to your return visit!
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hotel is nice, it is great if you are visiting the Univ of Minneapolis, however, 4 miles from downtown is not so convenient as the $15-20 cab ride can attest.

The rooms are large, the hotel staff is friendly, and the Applebee's connected to the hotel is great!

The in-house restaurant is a bit overpriced, but the food is good. Go to Applebee's not sure why they even need the rest. with Applebee's next door.

The TV is my only complaint. It constantly "cuts" out. It is Really annoying. If it had not been for the TV the hotel would have gotten a 5! Hope management reads this.

The LG TV itself is great, but the service is -1.

The internet works great!

So enjoy the hotel near the Univ.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a good room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on Trip Advisor. I am glad you found your stay to be nice. Thank you for the candid feedback regarding our restaurant, and television system. The management team takes these comments to heart, and are working on the best long term solution. I hope to see you again during your next visit to Minneapolis. Thank you for staying with us!
Plover, Wi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This hotel has come SO far. It has been many years and owner changes since I been here. What a great surprise. I believe this was a Radisson the last ime we were here-yuk! The updates are GREAT!! A couple of negatives- the TV reception is TERRIBLE-goes in and out, I am guessing a dish. At 3:00 am ther was a person walking up and down the hall snapping their fingers, I believe it was the person putting bills under the doors-:-/

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your review! The team was so happy to see you recognize how far our property has come. We are working on fine tuning our brand new state of the art TV system; sorry for the poor reception. I hope that you will consider us again when travels return you to Minneapolis. Thank you for your business!
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This was my second stay at The Commons Hotel and it was even better than the first. The renovations of the hotel are complete and it is stunning! Every detail is a delight! The landscaping is so lovely and welcoming. The lobby decor is really cool! The room decor is beautiful and comprable to any 4+ star hotel in Chicago or NYC. The staff could not be friendlier or more helpful. I dined twice at the Beacon restaurant and found the food to be excellent and interesting. And craft cocktails on a college campus? Yes, please! The restaurant staff was very friendly as well (a special shout out to Bethany, who made my solo lunch so very pleasant). My son will be attending the U this fall and I am really excited to have such a great place to call home when I come to visit him over the next four years. Keep up the excellent work!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your second stay, and your second review! I am glad you were able to see first hand the work that went into the creation of The Commons Hotel. We can't wait to welcome you back again soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hotel is extremely convenient to the University of Minnesota. There is a Starbucks close by.

That said, I would expect true luxury, given the price ($300/night)...and the rooms seem fairly average. A bit small, but nicely furnished. The lobby area is very nicely decorated.

Construction nearby and the university parking situation makes it ideal to valet the car for $25.

• Stayed June 2013
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, EmilieCPA! I am glad you enjoyed your time in Minneapolis. The team appreciates the time you took to write this review. When travels return you to Minneapolis, I hope that you will consider us again.

Been to The Commons Hotel? Share your experiences!