“Construction” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Commons Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Commons Hotel to your Saves list
The Commons Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (Formerly University Hotel Minneapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up to 20% savings
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atwater
“Construction”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

And outstanding remodeling project. The new look and amenities offered it truly outstanding. Fire pit in the Lobby, work out facility, book recommendations, and Coffee shop coffee in your room. Could it get any better? The only downside to our trip, was getting there. Construction!!! The signage to get to the Hotel in the hours of Darkness was a bit more difficult, but using a landmark that we were advised to use, made it much easier to find(applebee's). I will stay at this Hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed the results of our transformation! Thank you for making us your home away from home in Minneapolis. We hope to see you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
St. Louis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I'm a frequent traveler to Mpls. and have stayed at this hotel multiple times because of the location. The renovation greatly improved the look in the lobby and rooms; the hallways still look dreary. Unfortunately, the problems noted in earlier reviews (and recognized by management in the online response as needing work) have not been addressed. My husband and I were out of the room all day and came back at 4 PM to shower and take a quick nap only to find that the room hadn't been cleaned. We were told that the hotel was full and that housekeeping was working on the rooms for the guests who were checking in. What are we, chopped liver? We saw very few housekeeping staff on the premises during our stay -- seems like they are trying to contain costs after an expensive renovation. And when we returned to the room at 11 PM there was a note with an apology and offer for one free drink or dessert (to split between the two of us?) -- the last thing we wanted.

Other annoyances: TV loses its signal every few minutes, bad pillows, wi-fi only worked for one user in the room, daily parking fee.

While the hotel has definitely improved by the renovation, it is frustrating to see the same complaints repeated in these reviews.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for your continued business. I am sorry that we fell short on this stay. I too would have been frustrated to come back to a dirty room after being out all day. I will share these comments with our housekeeping team at our daily meeting. Our room cleaning staff finishes their day at 5:00pm. It was not our intention to make you feel like less of a guest. Thank you for this training opportunity. Our hallways were updated during our renovation with new carpet, and new wall coverings keeping with the "Industrial Modern" theme of the property. Our television system went live with an upgraded interface this week. You can now order room service right through your television, and the speed and clarity have improved. I hope you get to experience that when your travels return you to Minneapolis. Thank you again for your business.
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

What used to be the Radisson University Hotel on the east bank of the University of Minnesota campus has been sold and utterly transformed into something more like a large boutique hotel, with stunning new decor, redesigned rooms, and comfortable sitting areas throughout the hotel. The feel is very upscale: a huge fire pit as you enter the hotel circle, another smaller fire pit inside the lobby, surrounded by leather seating and bookshelves, spacious rooms with nice amenities (including a mini-fridge), a great bar and high-end restaurant, and highly attentive staff. Having lived in Minneapolis for years when this was the Radisson, I knew the old hotel well, attending conferences here several times and even staying here once I moved away. The new version is a vast improvement on the old Radisson, but some of what recommended the original remains: a Starbucks down a hallway, a great location (now even better after all the new stores have come in following the construction of the Gopher stadium), a good layout, restaurants easy walking distance. My room was very comfortable, especially the bed, and there's free Internet throughout the hotel. Others have noted that students hang out on the comfortable seating in and around the lobby, studying and chatting, which isn't bad in itself--it gives the sense of being surrounded by the university, but it could be off-putting to hotel guests who want to use some of those spaces. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting the U of M or coming in for a game, even for visiting downtown. When the new light rail is installed (soon), it will be easy to get from here across the river to downtown and avoid cabs or expensive parking there (or driving after doing the bar scene). My one concern is the huge amount of natural gas required for those fire pits; maybe natural gas is cheap in Minnesota? Also, the continued use of packaged sugars and creamers (the Radisson had them too). You use one sugar and all the rest gets tossed. Same with the little bottles of shampoo and conditioner. Use large bottles inside the shower, as the Europeans do. Install key-accessed electricity. Wasteful Americans! Sustainability, please.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for being our guest, and for sharing your comments and suggestions. Many of the items you mentioned are already being discussed by our operations team. We are always looking for ways to better serve our guests, and our planet. Thank you again. We hope to welcome you back soon!
Minnesota, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have stayed at the Commons Hotel in Minneapolis, MN out of convenience to where I need to be (University of MN). The front desk is outstanding with helping me with any requests I might have. Very clean hotel with wonderful beds. Have stayed there in the past and will again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
We can't wait to have you back, either! Thank you for sharing your experience. The front desk team was delighted to read your comments. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay even better, please let us know!
White Earth MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

A co-worker and I had to stay on campus for a business meeting. We loved our room it was very clean and updated. We got hot because the sun was shining that day for the first time in days and we were on the 8th floor. We had a maintenence man come turn the air on in our room. We got excellent service from him and he was very friendly and helpful. Thanks for the wonderful hospitality while we stayed at your hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are beautiful and clean.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! I'm sorry you had to have maintenance visit your room, but I am glad you found them to be personable and professional. We enjoyed having you as our guest, and look forward to your return soon!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Commons provided a nice base for my business trip to Minneapolis and St. Paul. It was well-located on the University of Minnesota campus, convenient to the Zipcars I used to get around the city and to public transportation. The hotel rooms and hotel public spaces were very nice. The gym was somewhat limited, but fine. The registration desk was a little hard to find--more of a design issue than anything. I'd stay again for business or personal travel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your business! Our front desk does have a unique location, but was designed to provide a more intimate arrival experience for our guests. Our lobby, being centrally located to campus, sees a lot of activity! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and the team looks forward to welcoming you back soon!
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

My daughter and I needed to make a trip to MSP area to assist my older daughter with medical care. The hospital recommended The Commons and what a blessing it was to us in many ways! There can not be enough said of the staff. No matter what we needed or requested it was done and always always with a genuine smile and care. I've been in places that the staff may act and put on a smile as though they care, but the feeling is not genuine. The facility itself is well appointed, well maintained, comfortable, safe, located in a prime area. Between staff and accommodations it is easy to feel at home in a far away place. We were able to save on a rental car by using the light rail system and the shuttle van of the hotel. I was happy I did not try to rent and drive......lots of construction between hotel and hospital so we were very pleased with the shuttle service....each and every driver were fast, efficient, courteous, kind, compassionate, safe, knew the way. The only blips were twice out of 14 trips and those were when I had switched the time to be picked up and they felt awful, but I assured them I was the one at fault. Front desk staff are wonderful as well...answering questions, giving directions, printing maps, warming our leftovers, being discreet over my credit card not going through....I had an outdated one and so they remedied it by accepting the card info from my husband at home. We utilized the computer room as well and were able to communicate en masse with family via emails as to progress and print out our boarding passes. The beds were the best hotel beds I have ever slept in, awesome pillows and love that there are four to a bed! Loved the towels! Loved the firepits in front and in lobby! Loved the photography and room number plates!!! I finally noticed those my last day....very clever! Y'all made a difficult time much more bearable in every single way! The only negative we could find was the room was too warm our first night, the next they sent a mechanic and it was nice and cool the second night, then warm again but it was ok because it rained/snowed and was cold outside. Hopefully if we have the opportunity to come back, the temp issue will be fixed, as I've heard and read it several times. Please give our praises to the staff, especially front desk all shifts and all shuttle drivers!!!! They made a great first impression. Thank you again!!! Oh and I almost forgot .....LOVE being in the middle of the university campus.....walkers out at all times, very pedestrian friendly makes it a delight to walk to nearby CVS, bagels, smoothies, coffee, and two restaurants attached!!! Total convenience!

Room Tip: I don't have anything to compare it to we were only in one room, but we were on 6th floor nice a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your experience! I am so glad you noticed some of the cool details we built into this property. We are all about exploring the common desire to discover by sharing a unique hotel experience with our guests. Our staff would be delighted to point out some more unique details and history of the property during your next visit! We hope to see you back soon!

Been to The Commons Hotel? Share your experiences!