“Key locale, great front desk service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Commons Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Commons Hotel to your Saves list
The Commons Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (Formerly University Hotel Minneapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up to 20% savings
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Nebraska
“Key locale, great front desk service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I must have come in after the renovation, as I did not experience any of the construction that earlier reviewers mention. The front desk folks, regardless of time of day or who was on shift, were consistently awesome. Keep up the great work!
Good fitness room. Very welcoming entry /lounge area. Room was well appointed, nice bathroom sink, but think the "rainfall" shower advertised is perhaps a stretch. It is a rain head permanently affixed to a short pipe giving a limited rain effect, but not a big deal. Our air conditioning was not really effective, not sure if it was the unit or the fact that it was the first warm day Minneapolis has had in 2013. Overall a great stay and if you are visiting the University of Minnesota, you cannot beat the location on campus! I will be back!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! I have passed on your comments to the front desk team, and they were honored to read them. Our air conditioning system has been turned on now, so on your next visit, you can escape the Minnesota heat! We hope to see you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
atlanta,ga
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

First let's start with the good. Beautiful place. This hotel was redone and the decor in the lobby and your room is "wow". What else is great is a full service Starbucks store that stays open until midnight. You will also like the fact that also have Appleby's attached too.

Hopefully you don't mind being around college kids. This hotel sits in the heart of Univ. of Minnesota. You will see lots of students around but the good news is that attracts other business right outside of the hotel such as Jamba Juice and Brueggars Bagels if you just cannot stand Starbucks.

Now where they could improve:
Beautiful flat screen tvs but they don't always work well. It seems there is a buffering issue where cetain programs appear they are being downloaded. Some will not come on at all. This happened a little bit while I was watching my favorite show Scandal. I am an addict to the show so imagine my frustration after a 3 week hiatus and now the screen is locking up!

Cleaning the room-I was scheduled to check out Friday. Came into my room Thursday night and it had not been touched. I never use the "Do not distrurb" sign. I was ticked! I called housekeeping and the front desk. Offers were made to clean the room but I was going to bed in a few hours so why bother. It's just dissappointing when you are traveling for business to walk into a room that does not have clean towels nor where your garbage was emptied. When I am home, I make my bed everyday. To walk into a room where the bed was in made was just disheartening. Oh well.

Good again-Well appointed workout room. Slept well. No issues with the beds at all. The hotel is also in an area where you can walk outside and feel safe.

Caution-Starbucks can get a little crowded at nite because of college study groups. Might be good just to get your stuff to go and enjoy in your room. During the morning rush, it's not too bad.

I will be visiting them again because the client wants our group to stay here since they have a preferred rate. Hope they at least clean my room during the entire stay next time.

David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
I hope you give our property another shot at making it your home away from home in Minneapolis. We are addressing the television issues with our provider to make sure that doesn't happen again. By your next visit, you should see some exciting upgrades on the system, including the ability to order room service right through your TV! We hope to see you again soon!
Lebanon, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Dramatic public spaces and well designed rooms make this hotel worth trying when you are in Minneapolis. My favorite feature is their thick white towels, a real plus. The hotel restaurant is quite good. The staff is friendly. The beds are very comfortable and there are a mixture of foam and feather pillows on each bed. Great idea!
After a three-night visit, I felt a bit disappointed in some aspects of my stay. My room was being serviced by a housekeeper who seemed to leave before everything was done. I travel quite a bit and have never complained about sloppy housekeeping, but twice on this visit I had to speak to the front desk. Please note that the rooms are very clean. I just happened to have a careless housekeeper. A colleague who stayed on a different floor reported excellent housekeeping, however. Our TV service was not working well, but the front desk said it was a provider issue. My room was uncomfortably warm and turning down the thermostat didn't help.

David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thanks for sharing your comments! We love our towels, too. They are much larger, and thicker then most hotel towels. Most of our in-room products can also be purchased on our website if you were looking to take some home. We hope to see you again soon!
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This hotel is consistent with their wonderful customer service! This is our second stay in as many months, and we enjoyed it tons again. The style is so modern and warm and fun, I love to be around all the style! The bedrooms are roomy, new tv's, awesome lighting, super soft towels (a definite plus!) The water pressure on the rainshower head was a little light, but no big deal. The beds are nice and firm, but the pillows we're the best, fluffy i guess i like them firmer!

We asked the bellmen/valet loads of questions throughout our stay and they were always helpful! We took the shuttle to a museum on campus and the driver was funny & helpful as well. There is a Starbucks attached as well as a wonderful restaurant, the Beacon House. The food was delicious and I absolutely recommend it! I was also able to partake in a conference banquet and the staff did a tremendous job there too!

Top notch for the U of M!

Room Tip: We had a view of the new football stadium one visit, dwtn Minneapolis another. Both excellent!
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for your second review!!! The team was excited to have you stay with us again. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay even better please let me know. We can't wait to see you back again.
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have stayed at this location over the past few years, but this was the first as it has been renamed The Commons. Don't be fooled, this was a total renovation and not just a name change. The rooms are all redone with high end fixtures and furniture.

The hotels is right next to campus with a future light rail line running in front of it. The service at the hotel is exceptional.

The only complaint I had was the TV service was spotty. It looked like it was from a dish, so the screen would freeze for a few seconds every so often.

David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad you enjoyed our newly transformed hotel. We did just complete $18 million dollars in upgrades to this property, and are stoked you like it! No area was left untouched! When travels bring you back to Minneapolis, we hope to see you again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Anyone who had to stay in the area for the hospital or any reason will be pleased with the newly renovated Commons. Very comfortable accommodations and central location. Getting to hospital so easy and you don't even have to go outside. When light rail is completed, Will be even better.

• Stayed April 2013
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your stay, Dekaff, and thank you for making us your first review on Trip Advisor. The team is honored you took the time to share your experience. We are excited for the light rail; there will be a stop steps from our front doors, and will add a convenient way to travel into downtown, and to the airport! You might start to see some trains rolling this summer while they do final testing, but the light rail service should start in 2014. We can't wait to see you again!
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This super-convenient hotel has been recently updated and was fabulous for our visit to University of Minnesota. The supercool decor impressed our teen and the room and amenities were excellent. Also a fabulous restaurant in the building! We got a special discount rate through Univ of Minn which made it a great value! (Although we did have to pay extra for parking on the property there was a shuttle service to the University events which was very convenient.)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
The team was excited to read your review! Thank you for sharing your experience on this website. I'm glad you got to experience both our hotel, and signature restaurant, The Beacon Public House. Thank you for the compliments on the decor. I will pass them along to our talendted design team. We can't wait to welcome you back again soon!

Been to The Commons Hotel? Share your experiences!