“Comfortable hotel.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Commons Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Commons Hotel to your Saves list
The Commons Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (Formerly University Hotel Minneapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
10% OFF & Free WiFi
Ranked #2 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Comfortable hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Anyone who had to stay in the area for the hospital or any reason will be pleased with the newly renovated Commons. Very comfortable accommodations and central location. Getting to hospital so easy and you don't even have to go outside. When light rail is completed, Will be even better.

• Stayed April 2013
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your stay, Dekaff, and thank you for making us your first review on Trip Advisor. The team is honored you took the time to share your experience. We are excited for the light rail; there will be a stop steps from our front doors, and will add a convenient way to travel into downtown, and to the airport! You might start to see some trains rolling this summer while they do final testing, but the light rail service should start in 2014. We can't wait to see you again!

264 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This super-convenient hotel has been recently updated and was fabulous for our visit to University of Minnesota. The supercool decor impressed our teen and the room and amenities were excellent. Also a fabulous restaurant in the building! We got a special discount rate through Univ of Minn which made it a great value! (Although we did have to pay extra for parking on the property there was a shuttle service to the University events which was very convenient.)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
The team was excited to read your review! Thank you for sharing your experience on this website. I'm glad you got to experience both our hotel, and signature restaurant, The Beacon Public House. Thank you for the compliments on the decor. I will pass them along to our talendted design team. We can't wait to welcome you back again soon!
Clear Lake, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I was on the tail end of a horrible cold and had to attend an important meeting early the next morning. I arrived tired, crabby and hungry. Not a mood you want to mess with. It was not difficult to get there but I always call ahead to see if there are any surprises I need to be aware of and I'm glad I did. Light rail is going in so they gave me the heads up. I swung in and was greeted by a smile and a "Welcome" right away, "Can I direct you", next. The front desk was all warm smiles and seemed to sense my mood. Before they even knew what I was there for they offered me a cup of hot apple cider. Once I was checked in and car valet parked (normally wouldn't do but was only $5 difference) I went up to my room and it was perfect. I loved the argyle wallpaper and the unique light fixtures. Very clean and somewhat modern. I decided food was next and as much as I wanted to try Punch Pizza down the road I did not want to go far. That left Applebee's or the hotel restaurant, The Beacon. Checked the menu at The Beacon and decided we had a winner. Service was very good but it was not a busy night. Had their filet and it was good but to be honest the Brussel sprouts were to die for! Yes I said brussel sprouts! Back to my room hoping for a cup of tea but did not have any. Called down to the front desk to see if they had any and they apologized I was not left some and insisted on bringing it to me. I crawled into a very cozy bed and slept like a baby. The whole stay turned out to be just what I needed.

David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
I am honored to read your comments! Thank you for taking the time to share this experience with the Trip Advisor community. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I have passed your comments on to the team, and they couldn't have been more excited to see them. On behalf of all of us here at The Commons Hotel, we can't wait for your next visit to Minneapolis! Thanks for your business.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I love the interior layout of The Beacon. It has a very relaxed, comfortable feel, but the best part is that it feels new and stylish. The staff was really nice and our food came out quickly. I had the Beacon Burger which was delicious with the pulled pork on top and my friend had the nachos which were also really good. A top notch restaurant in my opinion!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments about our new signature gastropub, The Beacon Public House! I am glad you enjoyed your visit. The Beacon Burger is one of my favorite items, too. Have you joined us for our $3-$4-$5 Happy Hour yet? It is Monday through Saturday 4pm-6pm, and all day Sunday! We can't wait to see you again!
Emmetsburg, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We had to cancel our first visit due to the snow,I had NO problem with the hotel.I had to call back a week later with NO problems about getting a room again, than I had to add another day so I called again and the hotel was great about adding another day. I had an appt. at the hospital and I got hospital rates which really help with a 3 night stay.The parking people parked our car, warmed it up and brushed off the snow! Now that is services! It was nice having several places to eat on site. The room was great, very nice decor, the shower was the hit of the visit, great shower head, warm/hot water, and wow the set up was perfect, I want a shower like that at home! The room service was wonderful, I needed an extra blanket and the maid was right there and I ask for more coffee cups and she almost ran down the hall to get me the cups! Talk about johnning on the spot. Our visit was great, thanks for fun stay. n&t

Room Tip: all the rooms must be great . we were close to the elevator and we heard no noise from it.
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Thank you for braving our Minnesota Winter, cpetnancy13! I am glad you were able to make it to us. The staff was excited to read your review online. Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy day to share your experience. I have to agree with you; our rain showers are perfect, and I wish I could take one home! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next stay more enjoyable. We can't wait for your next visit!
Rockford, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel is on the campus of the University of Minnesota. If you have business on campus, you want to check this out as you can park and walk (unless it is winter and then, bundle up). Parking is limited, hard to find, construction is a problem right now. Also, I ran out of hot water in my shower, after, 3-4 minutes. Very frustrating, also, wi-fi did not work right, eventually got it fixed. I would not stay here unless I have campus business.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near elevator, the halls are very long and winding and elevator is not centrally loca...
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay. We do have a unique the location. Not only are we steps from campus, we are steps from restaurants, nightlife, and the river. I hope you had a chance to use our Valet parking; many guests find it a convenient way to not have to navigate the area. Starting next year, we will be steps from the new Light Rail station which will link us directly to Downtown, Mall of America, Target Field, and the Airport. All of the road construction around us has been completed. The construction you see is a pedestrian greenway which will be completed this year. It is sure to add some more vibrancy to our already unique location. We look forward to your next visit!
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I used to renovate high end hotels for a living so when I tell you this is one of the coolest hotels I have stayed in I am not making that up. The finishes are very cool. I loved the shower and the bathroom especially. The Lobby was very well designed as well. What impressed me the most though was the service that I received at The Commons. I had a Living Social deal and I of course forgot the coupon. I don't know if you have ever done this before at other locations but it is usually not a pleasant experience. The lady that I dealt with at the front desk was extremely helpful. She went ahead and gave me the voucher for dinner and made a note in my account so everything flowed smoothly the next morning after I had the coupon from my office. The Beacon was very good as well and the staff was conversational and hospitable to the extreme. I would absolutely stay here again if I am anywhere close. Fitness center was equipped with very nice equipment as well.

David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
What a privilege to read your review! Thank you for recognizing the hard work of our associates. They, too were excited to read your review. We look forward to your next visit to Minneapolis. Please contact me directly if there is anything I can do to make your next stay more special. Again, thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your comments!

Been to The Commons Hotel? Share your experiences!