“Location, location, location......” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Commons Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Commons Hotel to your Saves list
The Commons Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (Formerly University Hotel Minneapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
10% OFF & Free WiFi
Ranked #2 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rockford, IL
“Location, location, location......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel is on the campus of the University of Minnesota. If you have business on campus, you want to check this out as you can park and walk (unless it is winter and then, bundle up). Parking is limited, hard to find, construction is a problem right now. Also, I ran out of hot water in my shower, after, 3-4 minutes. Very frustrating, also, wi-fi did not work right, eventually got it fixed. I would not stay here unless I have campus business.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near elevator, the halls are very long and winding and elevator is not centrally loca...
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay. We do have a unique the location. Not only are we steps from campus, we are steps from restaurants, nightlife, and the river. I hope you had a chance to use our Valet parking; many guests find it a convenient way to not have to navigate the area. Starting next year, we will be steps from the new Light Rail station which will link us directly to Downtown, Mall of America, Target Field, and the Airport. All of the road construction around us has been completed. The construction you see is a pedestrian greenway which will be completed this year. It is sure to add some more vibrancy to our already unique location. We look forward to your next visit!

264 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I used to renovate high end hotels for a living so when I tell you this is one of the coolest hotels I have stayed in I am not making that up. The finishes are very cool. I loved the shower and the bathroom especially. The Lobby was very well designed as well. What impressed me the most though was the service that I received at The Commons. I had a Living Social deal and I of course forgot the coupon. I don't know if you have ever done this before at other locations but it is usually not a pleasant experience. The lady that I dealt with at the front desk was extremely helpful. She went ahead and gave me the voucher for dinner and made a note in my account so everything flowed smoothly the next morning after I had the coupon from my office. The Beacon was very good as well and the staff was conversational and hospitable to the extreme. I would absolutely stay here again if I am anywhere close. Fitness center was equipped with very nice equipment as well.

David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
What a privilege to read your review! Thank you for recognizing the hard work of our associates. They, too were excited to read your review. We look forward to your next visit to Minneapolis. Please contact me directly if there is anything I can do to make your next stay more special. Again, thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your comments!
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed 3 nights on the 4th floor in a room with 2 double beds. The room is pretty spacious, I loved the curved desk with 2 arm chairs and heaps of bright overhead lighting, it was just perfect for evening work. Usually I find hotels too dark and dingy but the lighting here was great, the whole place was very business friendly with pretty good free wireless, I only had a few drop outs on skype but it wasn't too bad. The room had large cupboards for good storage and they provided heaps of hangers which I greatly appreciated. The bathroom had HEAPS of bench space which was just awesome and the bath amenities were great too. The hot water pressure was good and it was instant, didn't have to wait. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were a little soft for me. I loved that I could open the window for fresh air but the heater was pretty quiet at night if I needed to use it. The only downside is that I was kept awake on both nights by a dude snoring next door, yes it was that loud. Funny enough I never heard any neighboring TVs so maybe the walls aren't thin and this guy just had serious breathing issues.It wouldn't stop me from coming here again. I would definitely recommend the Beacon for dinner, the meal was splendid and the prices were very decent for the higher end quality of the meal, just wish they would turn down the music, it was a bit loud. I had a lovely stay and would recommend it.

Room Tip: I faced the main entrance and there was no noise but I wonder when the new light rail is completed o...
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing your positive experience regarding our hotel, and our restuarant, The Beacon Public House. If business brings you back to Minneapolis, please contact myslef, or my staff directly so we may provide firmer pillows for you. Thank you for staying with us! My staff is excited for your return.
Elk River, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I were guests here for a night after winning a one night stay at a silent auction.

My first impression was that the hotel is gorgeous! Love the decor and modern, yet cozy, feel to the place.

Our room was very nice. Loved the bathroom and the shower. Our cable did not work when we got there, so it took a while for someone to fix it. The gentleman that fixed it was very nice and professional.

We visited the Beacon and were impressed w/ the decor and feel as well. We had the jalapeno popper appetizer and a couple beers and everything was great.

The only complaint I have is that the bed was way too firm for my liking. I am used to a very soft bed, so this was quite a change for me. I'm sure others will enjoy it though.

Overall a great experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. I'm glad you found our transformation to have created a warm, and cozy place! The staff works hard to create that ambience, and were delighted to read your comments. Thank you again for your business! We look forward to welcoming you again soon!
Ames, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Everything was very nice and clean, and the location was really great for the conference I attended at UMN. It was great having the Starbucks and Applebee's attached. When we had a slight problem with the bathroom lights going on and off, it was remedied quickly.

David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for choosing The Commons Hotel on your recent visit to Minneapolis. A bigger thank you for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor! The team appreciates your comments, and we look forward to your next visit!
Coon Rapids, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel in the heart of the campus! Loved the room and the Beacon restaurant was fabulous! The staff was super accommodating and friendly from the front desk to the restaurant! We will definately go back and enjoyt he laid back yet upscale atmosphere!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor! We think you are "Super Cool" for staying with us! We look forward to your return!
Otsego, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The positives are the decor update, front desk staff and Beacon restaurant. (Loved the Happy Hour) A great improvement over the run down Radisson it was two years ago. What hasn't changed is the excellent location if you are there for U of M activities or medical. The Starbucks and Applebees are attached as well as the parking Ramp off Washington Ave. so great when the weather is not cooperating. We had a King with a pull out couch and when my daughter decided to stay late that night the staff got us the bedding in just a few minutes. They really were very helpful.
What we had issues with have been mentioned in previous reviews with the heat regulation being a real issue. When I went to open the window as turning off the thermostat didn't help the window slammed down on my hand. I did let front desk know the next morning as we checked out but only to caution them of the safety hazard. They were aware of the heat issue and let me know they would notify management. All in all this place is in a prime location and I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Outside noise was minimal facing the entrance.
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for staying with us again! I'm glad you found our transformation to be a positive change, and I'm glad you enjoyed our new restaurant, The Beacon Public House! The team was happy to have you back, and was delighted to read your comments. Thank you for taking the time to share them! The team hopes to welcome you back again soon!

Been to The Commons Hotel? Share your experiences!