“Cool place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Commons Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Commons Hotel to your Saves list
The Commons Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (Formerly University Hotel Minneapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20% on rooms
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Elk River, Minnesota, United States
“Cool place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I were guests here for a night after winning a one night stay at a silent auction.

My first impression was that the hotel is gorgeous! Love the decor and modern, yet cozy, feel to the place.

Our room was very nice. Loved the bathroom and the shower. Our cable did not work when we got there, so it took a while for someone to fix it. The gentleman that fixed it was very nice and professional.

We visited the Beacon and were impressed w/ the decor and feel as well. We had the jalapeno popper appetizer and a couple beers and everything was great.

The only complaint I have is that the bed was way too firm for my liking. I am used to a very soft bed, so this was quite a change for me. I'm sure others will enjoy it though.

Overall a great experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. I'm glad you found our transformation to have created a warm, and cozy place! The staff works hard to create that ambience, and were delighted to read your comments. Thank you again for your business! We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Ames, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Everything was very nice and clean, and the location was really great for the conference I attended at UMN. It was great having the Starbucks and Applebee's attached. When we had a slight problem with the bathroom lights going on and off, it was remedied quickly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for choosing The Commons Hotel on your recent visit to Minneapolis. A bigger thank you for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor! The team appreciates your comments, and we look forward to your next visit!
Coon Rapids, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel in the heart of the campus! Loved the room and the Beacon restaurant was fabulous! The staff was super accommodating and friendly from the front desk to the restaurant! We will definately go back and enjoyt he laid back yet upscale atmosphere!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor! We think you are "Super Cool" for staying with us! We look forward to your return!
Otsego, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The positives are the decor update, front desk staff and Beacon restaurant. (Loved the Happy Hour) A great improvement over the run down Radisson it was two years ago. What hasn't changed is the excellent location if you are there for U of M activities or medical. The Starbucks and Applebees are attached as well as the parking Ramp off Washington Ave. so great when the weather is not cooperating. We had a King with a pull out couch and when my daughter decided to stay late that night the staff got us the bedding in just a few minutes. They really were very helpful.
What we had issues with have been mentioned in previous reviews with the heat regulation being a real issue. When I went to open the window as turning off the thermostat didn't help the window slammed down on my hand. I did let front desk know the next morning as we checked out but only to caution them of the safety hazard. They were aware of the heat issue and let me know they would notify management. All in all this place is in a prime location and I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Outside noise was minimal facing the entrance.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for staying with us again! I'm glad you found our transformation to be a positive change, and I'm glad you enjoyed our new restaurant, The Beacon Public House! The team was happy to have you back, and was delighted to read your comments. Thank you for taking the time to share them! The team hopes to welcome you back again soon!
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I ate at the Beacon during the holidays with my grandson and son while we were in town visiting relatives for the holidays. Our server was very friendly answered all of our question we had concerning items on the menu. The was very good and very reasonably priced as well. The chicken we had was one of the better meals we have had at a restaurant. There is no doubt that we will be back to eat the restaurant when we are back in town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your visit to our new signature restaurant, The Beacon Public House. The food and beverage team was excited to read your comments. Thank you for sharing your experience! We look forward to your next visit. We have a Brick Roasted Wild Acres Half Chicken with your name on it!
Rochester, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We attended basketball and hockey events at the U of MN this weekend. Between games a short walk found us at the Hotel...and the Beacon. It was such a "pleasant" experience from the tasty food to the tastefull decor. The staff treated us so well. I look forward to being a guest again as our last experience, during the upgrade and remodel, was not to brag about. The growing pains were worth it and we look forward to once again staying with you. I am sure after we stay with you again I can give that review an "excellent". Best wishes on your gracious "new" hotel.

Earlene and Larry, Rochester, MN.

Room Tip: Always book early as this is a wonderful location.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for staying with us! I am glad you found our hotel to be a pleasant surprise. We look forward to your next visit. My team would love to help you plan a "fun" stay! We have great ideas on "Off the Beaten Path" places for you to discover on your next visit. Again, thank you for your business.
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed at this newly renovated hotel Feb 19-20th. I was going to the University Hospital for evaluations. Wanted to stay close as I knew I would be tired after my tests. I was not disappointed. The service was wonderful, the restaurants and coffeeshop were convenient. They had a shuttle to wherever and whenever I needed to go or be picked up. It was a very comfortable place to come back to after a long day. I look forward to staying there again on a more "fun" visit next time as it is convenient to just about anywhere you would want to go in the Twin Cities.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for your business. I am glad that you found our hotel to be close and convenient. When you are ready to return to Minneapolis, let me know. My staff would be delighted to help you plan a fun stay. We have great ideas on “Off the Beaten Path” places to go and discover more about Minneapolis. Thanks again for staying with us!

Been to The Commons Hotel? Share your experiences!