“Mostly positive still working out re-model issues” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Commons Hotel, A Noble House Hotel

You added The Commons Hotel, A Noble House Hotel to your Saves list
The Commons Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (Formerly University Hotel Minneapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Make Travel A Pleasure
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Otsego, Minnesota
“Mostly positive still working out re-model issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The positives are the decor update, front desk staff and Beacon restaurant. (Loved the Happy Hour) A great improvement over the run down Radisson it was two years ago. What hasn't changed is the excellent location if you are there for U of M activities or medical. The Starbucks and Applebees are attached as well as the parking Ramp off Washington Ave. so great when the weather is not cooperating. We had a King with a pull out couch and when my daughter decided to stay late that night the staff got us the bedding in just a few minutes. They really were very helpful.
What we had issues with have been mentioned in previous reviews with the heat regulation being a real issue. When I went to open the window as turning off the thermostat didn't help the window slammed down on my hand. I did let front desk know the next morning as we checked out but only to caution them of the safety hazard. They were aware of the heat issue and let me know they would notify management. All in all this place is in a prime location and I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Outside noise was minimal facing the entrance.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for staying with us again! I'm glad you found our transformation to be a positive change, and I'm glad you enjoyed our new restaurant, The Beacon Public House! The team was happy to have you back, and was delighted to read your comments. Thank you for taking the time to share them! The team hopes to welcome you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I ate at the Beacon during the holidays with my grandson and son while we were in town visiting relatives for the holidays. Our server was very friendly answered all of our question we had concerning items on the menu. The was very good and very reasonably priced as well. The chicken we had was one of the better meals we have had at a restaurant. There is no doubt that we will be back to eat the restaurant when we are back in town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your visit to our new signature restaurant, The Beacon Public House. The food and beverage team was excited to read your comments. Thank you for sharing your experience! We look forward to your next visit. We have a Brick Roasted Wild Acres Half Chicken with your name on it!
Rochester, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We attended basketball and hockey events at the U of MN this weekend. Between games a short walk found us at the Hotel...and the Beacon. It was such a "pleasant" experience from the tasty food to the tastefull decor. The staff treated us so well. I look forward to being a guest again as our last experience, during the upgrade and remodel, was not to brag about. The growing pains were worth it and we look forward to once again staying with you. I am sure after we stay with you again I can give that review an "excellent". Best wishes on your gracious "new" hotel.

Earlene and Larry, Rochester, MN.

Room Tip: Always book early as this is a wonderful location.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for staying with us! I am glad you found our hotel to be a pleasant surprise. We look forward to your next visit. My team would love to help you plan a "fun" stay! We have great ideas on "Off the Beaten Path" places for you to discover on your next visit. Again, thank you for your business.
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed at this newly renovated hotel Feb 19-20th. I was going to the University Hospital for evaluations. Wanted to stay close as I knew I would be tired after my tests. I was not disappointed. The service was wonderful, the restaurants and coffeeshop were convenient. They had a shuttle to wherever and whenever I needed to go or be picked up. It was a very comfortable place to come back to after a long day. I look forward to staying there again on a more "fun" visit next time as it is convenient to just about anywhere you would want to go in the Twin Cities.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your business. I am glad that you found our hotel to be close and convenient. When you are ready to return to Minneapolis, let me know. My staff would be delighted to help you plan a fun stay. We have great ideas on “Off the Beaten Path” places to go and discover more about Minneapolis. Thanks again for staying with us!
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hotel has adorable decor! So many hotels are too ritzy for my tastes, but this one is stylish and homey at the same time. My teens and I stayed two nights. I was just in Chicago a month ago and stayed at the Palmer House Hilton, where the room was tiny (but comfortable) and where everything cost extra--wireless, the exercise room, and felt formal--no coffee maker in the room. The Commons has complimentary wireless and exercise room, a spacious room, a coffee maker, refrigerator, $15 a night for self-parking, and is next door to Applebees and Starbucks. The staff were completely helpful and friendly. The only issue I think that the managers should address is the doors to the guestrooms. They are very tight, so much that anytime you want to close them, they are loud. I could hear others closing their doors, and ours was very loud. A couple of time when we left, we pulled the door closed, but not hard enough, so it didn't latch, and we didn't discover that until we returned to the room. I passed three doors in my hallway, and could see that their doors were not latched--I could have pushed them open. This can be attributed to human error, but I'm hoping the hotel can do something to correct this. Overall, we were thrilled with this location. My kids were in a ballroom competition on the second floor of the hotel, and you would never know that there was so much activity and noise on that floor when you're in a different area of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for being our guest. I am glad you found the ambience of the hotel to your liking. A lot of time and effort went into the design process for the entire property. We are pleased to offer our in-room Starbucks Coffee, as well as our complimentary fitness center. We even have passes available to the University of Minnesota Recreation Center, should you choose to step up your work out during your next stay. I look forward to seeing you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here twice. Once before the remodel, once after. The new rooms, lobby, restaurant, and gift shop are top notch. No longer does this hotel look straight out of 1994. Service was great, restaurant had unexpectedly great food, and the shower was AWESOME. Only complaint was that the pillows were very awkward shaped and not comfortable. I think I was also allergic to them.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your comments! While 1994 was a great year, we are glad to be showcasing a brand new, fully renovated hotel! If travels return you to our hotel again, please contact me directly, so I can make sure to have different pillows waiting for you. We have hypoallergenic pillows, which are more firm, and not full of down. Thank you for staying with us!
minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel is in a great location if you need to go to University of Minnesota Fairview Hospital, or something on the University of Minnesota proper. They are doing a total remodel and it has been upgraded. The rooms are nice, the beds comfortable, the pillows I think are way to soft. The bathrooms are attractive, but not sure if they are practical in the towel location department. Be careful of the toilets, they are just like the toilets in air planes, they make a huge sucking/pressure sound and will scare old people to death. The menu was a little to upscale for our tastes. The kids menu looked better, but still room service was good and on time. It is a good hotel with a decent location if you need to be at the University of Minnesota.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for recognizing our unique location, and our newly renovated property. The ownership took our environment into consideration when transforming our bathrooms. Our toilets have a pressure asssisted flushing device to cut down on water usage. I apologize it startled you! Our restaurant, The Beacon Public House, does boast a unique spin on traditional comfort foods utilizing local ingredients whenever possible. The team is always looking for suggestions. Thank you for sharing them. I hope you find yourself visiting the University area again soon. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back!