“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 47 Hotels in Minneapolis
NYC
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I recently stayed here for 8 days while my husband worked in the area. The hotel was as expected - great quality is expected for Marriott hotels. The staff was very attentive and helped me with ideas to occupy my time while my husband worked. It's proximity to the T service for transportation from the airport and other attractions was excellent. I wouldn't bring a car as parking anywhere in the downtown area is abundant but expensive. Being in the heart of the downtown area was a tremendous plus. The hotel's connection to the skyway meant we didn't have to wear heavy coats. There was no need to go outside and it was fun getting lost in the skyway from time to time. My one suggestion is that you should opt for the additional charge for the Concierge Lounge. The lounge option comes with free wifi in your room, soft drinks, breakfast, early evening & dessert buffets. This was truly worth it as it can be very expensive to eat in this part of town. We had many a hearty breakfast and the evening buffet was terrific for dinner too. Not to mention that drinks in the concierge lounge with much cheaper than the bar. Overall if we had to travel back to Minneapolis this hotel would be on the top of my list.

Room Tip: Opt for the additional charge for the Concierge Lounge. The lounge option comes with free wifi in yo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kurtboerner, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott City Center, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear coopieclanNyc,

Thanks for the great comments regarding our staff and the hotel. I am glad that our team was able to keep you busy exploring the Skyway while your husband was working. The Skyway is a great way to get around town without having to go outside.

We do offer a wide selection of menu options in our concierge lounge for our guests. We do here from many of loyal guests about the quality of food & beverage in the lounge.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Minneapolis.

Kurt Boerner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed Oct 12, and while the hotel was overall good the cleanliness of the room had some issues. I actually messaged the hotel on Oct 14 with my compliments and concerns, however did not hear back at all until Oct 16, at which time I was just told my information had been passed on to the Director of Operations and Director of Services. I waited until Oct 24 to hear from them, however did not. I sent another message with my concern that no one had bothered to respond and that I was cancelling my upcoming reservation, which of course I did cancel. Still have not heard anything.
Tonight while viewing my credit card statement I noticed a charge for $7.94 that I was not aware. I called the hotel and was told it was for drinking 2 bottles of water - which they had GIVEN me in a welcome bag when I arrived due to my membership status! I should point out that these were not even normal size bottles but the little short ones - which should of cost about .35 cents each had I not been GIVEN them. When I explained this to the agent, he questioned me as if I was lying. Very disappointing.

As far as the cleanliness of the room and portion of my message regarding that, here is the excerpt from my message:
"...The room was spacious, however could have used more cleaning - I noticed a disposal razor cap on the corner of the bathtub, which I suspect will still be there if you check. I also noticed long black hair on the bathroom floor, and used dental floss under the sink, all which led me to believe the bath area was not cleaned well..."

Could have been a very good hotel, had the experience been better - I can understand the housekeeping issues a bit, however cannot understand the incorrect charges - makes me wonder how many times that happens to guests that never bother to check their statements, and I really can't understand the lack of response or call regarding my initial message.

If you want to stay at a Marriott I would advise the Depot, which I just had an excellent stay at, or the Hotel Autograph.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Montgomery, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed here Oct. 14 -18. The food was wonderful and the staff pleasant. I am a rewards customer and they did not meet some of my requests initially, but when I reiterated my requests (not by the elevator) they complied.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kurtboerner, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott City Center, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear Leigh C,

Thank you for being a loyal Marriott Rewards member, there are many advantages with the Marriott program. I have passed your comments on to our culinary team to let them know you enjoyed the food during your stay.

I apologize that we initially did not meet your requests upon arrival. Being a rewards member we have our guest’s preferences on file and always do our best to accommodate them. Our elevators are newly renovated and quit but I understand your desire to have a room away from them when you travel.

We hope we have the opportunity to serve your again.

Regards,

Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

The staff did everything possible to accommodate my three day visit. My plane arrived early morning, and they got me an earl check-in. I made a mistake on mt departure flight, thinking it was am instead of pm; staff allowed me an extra couple hours in my room, then secured my luggage while I chilled out in the lobby another three hours. But what about the facility? My room was clean, well supplied and comfortable beds and temperature. The facility was also the wedding reception location, and the banquet and dancing area were both excellent environments with attentive staff. I used the fitness room and sauna daily - what a view from the treadmill of the downtown buildings and streets! Just a short walk to the Skyway that connects with great stores and restaurants. Simply a great retreat and super service!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Spatts,

Thank you for your TripAvisor review, and we were happy to hear that our team was able to afford you a little extra time at the hotel before your flight. Our hotel does offer many amenities for both the business and leisure traveler. It was great to see that you had time to take advantage or the health club on your visit.

Warm regards,

Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Taken as a whole, we enjoyed our stay here. Marriott hotels are styled with a cool, young vibe. Our room was lovely, although you could tell it was a wee worn around the edges. Service was friendly. Housekeeping needs management attention. Our room had some dust and also some mold in the shower. We came back from a full day away and the room had not been cleaned. When I let the desk know the next morning, the first thing out of her mouth was "And you didn't feel you could let us know yesterday"? I explained that we had gotten in late, however, I shouldn't have had to explain anything at all. Not good. Get ready for a hike to get to your car in the parking garage. (Valet service is available.) Despite the problems I have just mentioned, we would go back. The location is great and overall the staff, as in many Minneapolis hotels, was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear MBB66066,

Your feedback regarding our hotel and staff service is very important to us. I apologize for the cleaning issues that you encountered during your stay. The condition of your room is not acceptable. Our staff should have apologized to you rather than asking why you did not let us know that your room did not get cleaned.

We conduct daily room inspections with our housekeepers to reduce the cleaning issues that were found in your room. As a result of your comments, we have increased the amount of room inspections that are being completed each day.

If you would like to discuss your stay with me further, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed at this hotel to participate in a convention but spent 2 our of the 3 days in my room full of a head and chest cold . Some of the reasons this hotel was good for a sick person
1. They have proper duvets not just sheets so as your temperature shoots up and down its easy to keep warm or cool off.
2. The rooms are isolated from noise ( probably good for those hearing my hacking all night , but also good when your sleeping at odd hours.
3. Room service , though i suggest some more simple things on the menu such as snacks rather than full means
4 Great staff , who even went to the shop to get me snacks and drinks to help
5. Rooms well stocked with towels meaning having no room service for 2 days was not a bind

Next time I hope to see more of the hotel and area but if your going to be sick this was not a bad place for it to happen

Room Tip: My room was right next to the elevators but I hardly heard a thing so I would say any room will do
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kurtboerner, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott City Center, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear bvlynch,

I am sorry to hear that you were under the weather during your stay at our hotel. I know there is nothing worse than being sick when you are away from home. I am glad that we were able to make your stay a little better when you were not feeling well.

I appreciate your comments regarding our room service menu. We will be making changes in the next several months and we will take your comments under consideration. Your comments help us look for better ways to service our guests.

Thanks again,

Omaha, Nebraska, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Super friendly staff, great location, excellent view from my room - king corner view. Wish there would have been a fridge in my room. But the room was large and the bed was comfortable. The only slight negatives would be a charge for wifi in my room. The extra blanket was more like a burlap sack. It was very old, itchy and didn't provide any warmth. Also, the breakfast was very pricey. But overall the stay was great and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sharon Y,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your corner room; these are one of our more popular rooms in the hotel.

I appreciate the feedback regarding the condition of the extra blanket in your room; we have replaced about 90% of these in the hotel. I apologize this was not the case with your room. Please let us know if you returning and we will ensure that you have a new blanket on your bed.

Marriott Minneapolis City Center Management Team

Been to Minneapolis Marriott City Center? Share your experiences!