“Great Downtown Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Tampa, Florida
“Great Downtown Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Marriott City Center for a recent conference. Upon check-in I found myself waiting in line at check-in with just one desk clerk serving a high-maintenance guest. The desk clerk maintained her friendly attitude, and when my turn came to check in I was rewarded with a penthouse suite; a two-story room on the top floors with beautiful views of the City. While the conference facilities were very "Marriott Typical," my room was outstanding. Very spacious and clean. The downtown location is convenient to many attractions, including Target Field where I took in a baseball game. I would love to stay here again. Well done!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

414 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Milwaukee, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I recently stayed two nights on a business outing. The morning of my second day, as I was in the shower, I noticed something crawling on top of the shower curtain: a very large cockroach. As I stepped out of the shower, it crawled to the ground, and I eventually trapped it underneath the garbage can.

I took a picture - check it out! - and showed it to the woman at the front desk. She was very apologetic, and showed it to her manager. She then offered me 10,000 Delta miles or a whopping $40 off of my room. I asked her if she was sure that she didn't want to comp the room, and she stated she couldn't, saying it was a $350 room (that was the max rate posted on the room door. I paid a $170 group rate, I think). She finally reduced it by ~$70. Knowing then that she had the autonomy to do this, it's pretty insulting that she didn't do so upfront.

So, even though I found the most disgusting of all insects in my room after it could have crawled on my toothbrush, in my suitcase, or on me during the night, and though I brought this problem to their attention before other guests could be affected (if there's one cockroach, there are 100), the Marriott thinks the experience is worth a $40 discount, and very reluctantly $70. In other words, the Marriott feels a $100 is a reasonable rate to charge for a cockroach-infested room. Do you?

What a missed opportunity for Marriott to make positive of a negative. Perhaps this is why I'm a Hilton Honors member instead. Good service by other hotel staff otherwise.

Room Tip: I was on the 10th floor. Avoid it unless you like sleeping with cockroaches.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Kurtboerner, Manager at Marriott Minneapolis City Center, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
We appreciate your comments regarding the hotel and understand your disappointment in the way this situation was handled.

I can completely understand how you felt seeing a live bug on your shower. Our associate did offer you compensation in good faith. Our associate offered additional compensation and I apologize that you felt that this was not sufficient. Our associate did mention that you were going to place this on TripAdvisor if your entire stay was not adjusted off.

Our hotel has a national contract for pest control that includes weekly inspections. Our pest control company has taken additional steps to prevent insects from entering the building. The pest control is extremely effective but unfortunately not full proof in this case.

Thank you again for your feedback.
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I liked the Marriott downtown. I was there for an Alice Cooper show at the State Theater, and it was only about 2.5 blocks away, which was very convenient. Parking was $19/day on the weekend. Getting into the actual hotel was a little confusing. Once you park in the garage, you go through an indoor walking area that connects to a mall. You take one elevator up down to the ground level, and then walk further to take another elevator up to the 5th floor lobby. The Marriott itself was pretty average for a Marriott - nothing fancy, but nothing shabby. I'd definitely stay here again. My only complaints were that there was still hair on the bathroom floor when I arrived. It had to be from the last guest. There was also an orange spot of what I assumed was conditioner or something in the shower, so that hadn't been cleaned thoroughly either. When I got back from the concert, I requested an extra blanket, and it took them about 30 minutes to bring it up to the hotel. All three things bothered my slightly, but I'm a travel agent, so I generally expect more out of full service hotels. Overall, I liked the location and I'd come back again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Centrally located and close to everything downtown. There is a bus stop outside the hotel that is pretty rough. Rooms were clean. Service was standard. Overall it was just another Marriott. Nothing bad but nothing special.

• Stayed June 2013
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for the night of the Tom Petty concert. The hotels 2 blocks from the Target Center and we got a weekend rate for the room and breakfast the next morning at a rate of $159. Considering the hotel's location and that the breakfast the next day was a buffet with cook to orde rollers I'd say we got a great deal.

We had a corner room at wasn't huge but the bed was comfortable. One thing I noticed and liked was that the doors to the rooms closed quietly. These doors are set up to close automatically when you walk out but rather than hear a WHAM of the door it closed very quietly. This might sound like an odd observation but for a light sleeper I wasn't awaken by people in near by rooms coming and going.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We loved this hotel! Location is great. Very close to Target Field and Target Center. The staff was amazing! The rooms were large, comfortable and clean. Prices were very fair for the level of service.

• Stayed June 2013
Schreiber, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Came to the city for a concert, booked the hotel over the phone with credit card, when we arrived hotel staff were not helpful or polite, asked for hotel to be paid in full before even checking into our room. When we arrived in our room there were crackers on the window and our phone wouldn't dial local calls. Hotel staff were 50 % nice and 50 % complete ignorance.Restaurant has awesome breakfast buffet and amazing supper, restaurant staff very friendly, defiantly made up for the lack of compassion in other areas of hotel staff. Very close to concert and other city centers and not bad price but not worth the headache. Will not be staying here again, but may come back for the buffet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Minneapolis City Center? Share your experiences!