“Convenient Location, Spacious Rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast
Ranked #25 of 48 hotels in Minneapolis
Bountiful
“Convenient Location, Spacious Rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed here 2 nights as part of a long road trip with a large tour group. Our room assigned ended up being a handicapped accessible room, which means it was extra spacious! I loved it! (I am seriously considering requesting a handicapped accessible room from now on). The hotel has 31 floors. We were on floor 11 which was considered a "lower" floor. People staying above floor 25 had to scan their cards for access.

PROS:
1. This hotel is located in the heart of downtown with easy access to everything.
2. Only a 2 block walk to the Target Center arena (which we did)
3. Only a 3 block walk to see a Twins baseball game at Target Field (which we did).
4. Next to the Thursday market street and attached to all of the many malls and sky-ways.
5. A short 1 mile jog to the riverfront and to enjoy all the bridges and trails (which I did)
6. Beautifully appointed rooms, comfortable, clean, quiet, 100% classy
7. Fabulous dining and catering services (best catered food ever, and they have delicious steel cut oats for breakfast)
8. Beautiful views
9. Excellent staff that were always very helpful and attentive (when found)

CONS:
1. Not located in a safe neighborhood, and especially not safe at night.
This probably holds true to anywhere in downtown Minneapolis. It is simply not a safe city - especially at night. Period. You MUST be careful. We witnessed two major arrests and a brawl just walking 2 blocks to the Target Store and back again after 10:00 PM. I felt very unsafe and it was very unnerving! One man in our group was physically accosted by a street beggar after walking 2 blocks from the hotel by himself. Our tour leaders urged us NEVER to go out alone especially at night.
2. The city bus stop is located near the entrance to this hotel. This is a CON as it means the sidewalk is always filled with people, mainly low-lifes and smokers that you have to continually walk through in order to go anywhere. We witnessed one man standing with his pants down fully exposing himself in broad daylight. Truly disgusting!
3. Awkward access.
After entering the revolving doors from the street, you must take an elevator to the 4th floor in order to reach the Front Desk and Lobby area, and then you must take a different set of elevators to reach the rooms. I've decided this is designed as a security effort.
4. Empty After Hours
I was up late one night working in the lobby on my laptop (to take advantage of the free Wi-Fi). I had completely lost track of time. At about 2:30 am I was interrupted and approached by a young lady and her gentleman friend (who had obviously had way too much to drink). They had come in off of the street and wanted to get a room for the night. I motioned them toward the Front Desk, but then realized there WAS NO ONE at the front desk, and in fact, the front desk was completely shut down. During the day, it shines a "Front Desk" projection on the wall, but now it was turned off, and the area was closed up. There was no one around. At all. Anywhere. It was very eerie. The girl complained and said 'Hey, I thought all hotels were always 24 hour!" I had to agree with her. Aren't they?!? It was simply creepy to realize I had been sitting there in a completely empty, closed-up lobby. Eventually, she was able to locate a person down the hall. I don't know what was discussed, but the girl and the guy left without getting a room. Once again, I was sitting there all alone and I suddenly felt unsafe and went back to my room.

I don't know what this hotel charges since it was part of my tour package. I imagine that it must be a bit pricey because it is a very nice hotel. If you have to stay in downtown Minneapolis, I can't think of a nicer place and I would highly recommend it. Just be careful. It's a jungle out there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

461 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Andover, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I had to attend a 4 day training conference in Mpls this week which is only 25 miles from my home. But because of the grueling schedule it was advised that I stay at the hotel instead of commute. As I travel fairly extensively for business, I was definitely NOT looking forward being away from my own bed. But I must say that while the conference was extremely grueling, the hotel and its staff were some of the best I have ever experience. The room was clean and comfortable and every single employee that I encountered were pleasant, engaging and truly provided comfort and relief from the stress and strain of the conference. I have been to many Marriotts around the country and this one stands out from all of them. It's a shame I can't take them with me when I have travel away from home. Great job!!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I I spend 5 days a week, apx 50 weeks a year at Marriott properties all over the country and there is not a single one better than this one. From the very large and comfortable rooms to the amazing staff and Management team, this property has it all! Anthony Stewart-Moore the General Manager has done a great job in the two years since he arrived. The concierge lounge is better than the Ritz !! You will love the way your treated!! I always look forward to returning. You will love everyone from George at the front door to all the housekeeping staff. Great Internet too!

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed for two nights to attend an event at convention center as a first time visitor to Minneapolis. Many conveniences to hotel location: (1) I took light rail (blue line ) from airport to Nicollet Mall stop (two blocks to hotel) - there is no need to taxi or shuttle unless you are schlepping lots of bags (2) hotel is just off Nicollet Mall (shopping and dining destination downtown) (3) a short walk to the professional sport facilities for basketball and baseball; and (4) has access to the skyways that traverse much of downtown Minneapolis. Other comparable hotels are in same area, but except for Radisson (across street), this is probably the closest to light rail line which is easy to use and convenient.

Rooms: First quirk is shape of hotel (triangular). The triangular floor plate creates some variation of room shapes / layouts particularly toward the 3 corners. I had a "13" room. It was a king room -- it is a smaller room than some others, though still reasonably spacious. There was some awkwardness to the layout b/c of shape -- the bathroom door is directly adjacent to the head of the bed and TV viewing from bed is across the longest dimension of the room. Ask to see where on floor plate your room is on check-in. Room furnishings were comfortable but there was some wear and tear evident (shower door didn't fully seal, ironing board hangar broken and some obvious wall scuffs).

Arrival / Lobby / Elevators: Second quirk: Lobby is on floor five -- you take one elevator from street level to lobby and another set of elevators to rooms. That creates two minor inconveniences: (1) each time you return to hotel, you take two elevators to get to your room which is generally not a big deal, but led to some delays when there was a crowd returning at same time. (2) If you arrive by car (which I did not) -- there is no hotel driveway or pull-off at street level and it can be busy. There are valets present, but I could see it made for a little bit of stress for a few car arrivals as I entered and left the building. Other downtown properties have better arrival set ups (Hilton / Hyatt).

Other notes: the fitness center is well-equipped for a hotel facility and all the equipment is reasonably new and of commercial-grade quality. A nice amenity. The lobby bar / restaurant had wonderful service. It isn't large, but it is comfortable and there are many great options off property within an easy walk so it is scaled right for the overall environment.

I'd stay again, but would be more selective as to room assignment than I was this time.

Sioux Falls, SD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Easy walk to tons of restaurants, shops, theaters and bars. Comfy rooms and beds. You are paying for the location, and it is a good value with that considered, but every little extra, including in-room Internet access, will cost you extra.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Mattawan, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This was my first stay at this hotel. It’s laid out in a diamond/atrium fashion. Street level is Floor 1, the check-in and lobby are on Floor 5, requiring an elevator ride. The Lobby is ultra contemporary. The only bar/restaurant is situated there, making for great people watching. Gluten-free menu available, but as pricey as you would expect. Room 1221 is DIRECTLY across from the ice maker. However, the entry to the room was an angled hallway, which minimized the noise. Standard single cup coffee maker, very large closet. Climate control was quiet, and bathroom fan stayed on constantly. No signs of cracking grout, counter-tops and surfaces seemed new. Front desk, housekeeping were friendly, but the highlight was: George the bell-hop (you can tell this man loves his job and has been at it 20 years).

Room Tip: Room 1221 was DIRECTLY across from the icemaker.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Kurtboerner, Manager at Marriott Minneapolis City Center, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding our hotel; we appreciate the positive feedback regarding staff and especially our doorman George. He truly is a gem and we are fortunate to have him on our team.

We hope that we can serve you again in the future and next time we do our best to keep you way from the ice maker.
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Overall this is a terrific hotel. It is in a perfect location - close to everything in downtown. The self parking is convenient and reasonably priced, all of the staff were friendly and helpful. The lobby would be a nice place to gather if you were traveling with a group (like a wedding). We did not eat here but their patron margarita's were wonderful.

We were upgraded to a corner room and it was beautiful - very large, windows on two sides and great views of downtown. The bathroom was small with limited counter space - what you would expect of an older downtown hotel. Everything seemed to be clean and well maintained.

This hotel is virtually perfect - except for the bed. It sagged horribly in the middle and was certainly the worst bed I have had at a Marriott property in a very long time. I don't know if it was just our room - the old bed seemed out of character with everything else we experienced in our stay there. I would try this hotel again but if the next bed was similar to this one, I'd have to think twice about choosing this Marriott property.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are amazing - huge size, full couch and chair, two walls of windows and a wonderful...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Marriott Minneapolis City Center? Share your experiences!