We stayed at the Hyatt to see the Vikings/Packers game and were very pleased with the hotel, particularly because of the great rate we got directly on the hotel website.
The renovations are beautiful. The lobby and restaurant are expansive and modern and the rooms are contemporary and functional. We had a double room and it was quite large and came equipped with a coffee maker, nice toiletries, good quality bedding and comfortable beds. The renos would have been complete if the tub had been replaced. It was obviously original with only the tiles and fixtures updated. This was about the only drawback in the room.
The biggest surprise with this hotel is the gym. It is the largest and most complete hotel gym we have ever come across. There is a large cardio studio with many new treadmills, ellipticals, etc. Headphones are provided. There are two full rooms with weight equipment including sets of free weights, barbells, two complete cable machines, various other weight machines etc. There is a separate room with a large mat area for stretching or using other equipment such as heavy balls, stability balls, bosus, etc. In yet another room there are different types of boxing bags. Finally, there is a full size gym where you can play basketball. Separate from the gym is the pool, which looks to be original but is a decent size.
We ate breakfast in the Prairie Kitchen Restaurant. Service was somewhat slow but the food was excellent and unique. The AAA rate included a $22 breakfast voucher (per person, for 2 people). Prices in the restaurant were reasonable and for this amount we were able to have a great breakfast and almost cover tax and tip with the credit available. Staff in the restaurant were exceptional, although there were some minor problems getting our orders correct.
All other staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. On game day our waitress asked whether we were going to the Vikings/Packers game and when we said we were looking for tickets, she put us in touch with another staff member that had tickets available.
The hotel location is good. If you are going to the Metrodome, it is a bit of a hike but certainly walkable. It was cold so we opted to take a cab to the game and it was only $6.50. We walked back and it probably took about 20 minutes, perhaps a bit less. We also walked to the Timberwolves game at the Target Center and it was a bit closer. We were able to use the Skywalk for part of the walk so that helped. Target, Macy's and the City Center (Gap, Banana Republic stores) are about a 10 minute walk away. Haskel's liquor store (great selection of most everything, but particularly wine) and numerous restaurants are within easy walking distance as well. We ate at Zelo and Hell's Kitchen, both of which were excellent. If you're looking to order pizza for the room, Pizza Luce offers free delivery downtown.
We also noticed that because the hotel is at the end of the "strip", there seemed to be some nice green spaces and walking paths nearby. It would probably be a great place to stay in the summer if you wanted to run or walk in the area.
And although it might not seem like a big deal, this hotel has 5 elevators. This was particularly useful before and after the football game when there were large volumes of people entering and exiting the hotel.
We will definitely stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Full service hotel located in the heart of downtown on Nicollet Mall. Connected by climate-controlled skyway to the Minneapolis Convention Center, downtown restaurants, shopping, and entertainment. The Hotel completed an extensive renovation in May of 2012. This renovation features new guest rooms and a completely transformed lobby and Food and Beverage options. Including Prairie Kitchen and Bar, an upscale bar/restaurant, and expansive marketplace for grab and go items as well as sundries. Hotel features an extensive StayFit fitness facility and over 74,000 sq. feet of flexible meeting space. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Tingo, Otel, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Venere, Agoda and TIG Global so you can book your Hyatt Regency Minneapolis reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Minneapolis Hotel Minneapolis
- Minneapolis Hyatt Regency
- Hyatt Regency Minneapolis On Nicollet Mall
- Hyatt Minneapolis